Sport-Touring tires: Any recommendations?

alexk

Weekend Rider
Well, my Dunlop Q2 in the rear is almost down to the wear bar, so it's time to start thinking about replacements.

I commute with this thing (90 minutes a day, 15,000mi a year), mostly highway miles. While I do get it leaned over (1/4 inch of untouched rubber left), there aren't enough opportunities to get the tire to wear evenly.

Gripwise, I found the Q2 to be only marginally gripper than the stock tire at best, and at worse much much much worse.

Does anyone have a sport/touring or touring tire they sing the praises of? How does it grip and hold up versus your riding habits?

Levek

Both the Pilot Power and Pilot Road sets receive constant praise so I'll pass along my two cents.

My Pilot Power 3's have been a fantastic set for highway commuting and very spirited canyon carving. There are no chicken strips left but the rear is certainly going to wear on the center patch before the edges. I'm hoping to squeeze at least 7k miles on the rear, the front looks great after 4.2k. I will be buying these tires again unless something new comes out.

Given your riding stats it sounds like you would love, and make the best use of the Pilot Road 3. Like the PP3, they are dual compound and will feel like glue in the corners but the center patch should last a long time.

Edit: You know I never really looked at the difference between PR3 and PP3. I had assumed the PR3 was a bit more rugged at the expense of some stickiness to cope with more commuting miles. Now I believe the PR3 and PP3s are of the same consistencies of dual compound and it's merely the extra tread pattern on the PR3s that make them better for shittier roads and adverse weather. The roads out here are pretty fantastic and there's 0 rain so I think I made the right choice even if for the wrong reason.

Last edited:

JSP

Administrator
Pilot Roads are great...

I am using Shinko 009 Ravens on my Bandit and absolutely love them. Never had the tire slip out even once and no chicken strips. Best budget tire IMO.

Perron

Any one got the Pirelli Angel GT tires? Looks good and got nice reviews but I'm not seing anyone using them around here

PNUT

Mich Pilot Road 3s, I think I have close to 10K on the set on my Ninja and you wouldn't think so.

dalco450

I put Continental RoadAttack 2 on my Fazer and it's really amazing!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Can't complain with pilot road 2 or 3... pilot power is track... sticky, but no mileage. I had angel st, awesome tire and am going to go to angel gt next go around

Marthy

I'm a big fan of the Conti-Motion. I use a few sets on my FZ6R and very satisfy with them. Not a track tire but has plenty of grip for street riding. I'll be getting a set for the FZ-09 when time comes. Dirt cheap too!

hlmiskelly

I like the Michelin Pilot Road tire having had excellent past experience with it. Excellent wear and good grip.

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
You just asked the question I was going to ask right as I was about to ask it. Perfect timing. The consensus seems to be Road 2/3. Sounds like a plan.

ssky0078

Pilot Road 3's: I have about 2,500 miles on them and really like them so far. The tire has plenty of grip for sport riding, is hardly showing any wear from commuting about 300-400 miles a week. I would recommend these for a good commuting tire that you can still go have fun on.

Pilot Power 3's: Amazing grip and a lot of fun in the twisties. Commuting wore down a lot quicker. After about 3,000 miles they started to loose traction and thus my confidence in them. I replaced the rear at 4,000 and kept the front. The front started to scallop around 5,000 and was not the best, and ultimately replaced the second rear at 6,000 and the front got a total of 10,000 mile. IF you were not commuting I would suggest these as they are full of grip, great turn in and confidence inspiring at the beginning, but just begin to wear a little too soon.

Pilot Road 2's: My least favorite tire that I've ridden on so far. I found that there was this issue I had with turn in that the transition from the hard compound in the center to the softer side would just drop off. It was like ok lean from 0-10 degrees then it would want to drop to 30 degrees quickly. The only upside is I learned how to ride while keeping the bike as upright as possible. They did get great mileage for commuting but were not fun for sport riding.

Bridgestone S20's: Comparable to the Pilot Power 3's and would just say that they may have worn faster, didn't get a full life out of the them because I totalled that bike before I had a chance to wear them out.

Perron

i have the Pirelli Angek ST and they are great for grip and good in the wet and last well

Thanks for the reviews on the ST. The GT seems to be made to last longer while performing better on wet surface than it's predecessor (ST). I guess it's worth a try then!

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
Just talked with a few guys at the dealership in town. They were telling me that the road 2 and the road 3 have the same compound of rubber, but the 3 has a better tread pattern for channeling water away. They were saying that if you don't do a bunch of riding in the rain, or feel confident enough in the rain on sport tires, just save the money and get the 2 (about $50/ set). Also, I hear the road 4 is coming out soon. Didn't get any details on that one.

Hellgate

Well, my Dunlop Q2 in the rear is almost down to the wear bar, so it's time to start thinking about replacements.

I commute with this thing (90 minutes a day, 15,000mi a year), mostly highway miles. While I do get it leaned over (1/4 inch of untouched rubber left), there aren't enough opportunities to get the tire to wear evenly.

Gripwise, I found the Q2 to be only marginally gripper than the stock tire at best, and at worse much much much worse.

Does anyone have a sport/touring or touring tire they sing the praises of? How does it grip and hold up versus your riding habits?

What psi are you using? The Q2 is uber grippy. Both my R6 and Tuono TV4 drag hard parts with them on.

Road 2's on my FZ1 spun up like not tomorrow, especially when cold.

pajkrubi

After reading a ton of reviews I'm pretty sure when I need tires I'll be going with the Metzeler sportec m5. Very, very good reviews on it and even a bunch for wet weather traction. Also seems to have pretty good life from the reviews. Plus it's a good chunk cheaper than the Michelin road 3's. I also really like the tread pattern on them which is only asthetics but still. Lol

ssky0078

Just talked with a few guys at the dealership in town. They were telling me that the road 2 and the road 3 have the same compound of rubber, but the 3 has a better tread pattern for channeling water away. They were saying that if you don't do a bunch of riding in the rain, or feel confident enough in the rain on sport tires, just save the money and get the 2 (about $50/ set). Also, I hear the road 4 is coming out soon. Didn't get any details on that one.

I've read the same thing and heard the same thing. However after having a set of both a PR2 and PR3 I would give the nod to the PR3 hands down. I may have just had an old set of PR2's (or does it make a difference that I got the bike from up north and may have had a 'cold' set of PR2's, when the PR3's I got were labeled 'hot')

master paper clip

+1 on the pilot road 3, it's a damn good tire...before the pr3 I hade some pilot power 3, and boy did they grip and warm up fast I ended up with a little over 7k on my rear before swapping to the pr3... I'm still on the front pp3

Either tire is fantastic but I actually prefer the pr3 to the pp3 they feel like they grip the same but the pr3 just feels a lot better on turn in and when leaned over threw a turn