Spark Plug trick

FZER

Avid Rider
Mech friend told me a trick today about sp. what he does is removes all of the coils and lossens each plug 1/8 of an inch. Then he puts the coils back into place, cranks the car, revs it one good time, and it gets rid of carbon build up around the plugs. He learned this trick from one of those guys that if he can't fix it you don't want it.

lmracefan

Just saw Pat Goss on Motorweek do the same thing. He said it keep the carbon build up from tearing up the threads in the aluminum heads.

cpatt

Just saw Pat Goss on Motorweek do the same thing. He said it keep the carbon build up from tearing up the threads in the aluminum heads.

wonder if that will work on the shitty 2 part 04 -06 ford shitty 2 part plugs that always brake.

cpatt

nothing will help those! even i admit that.

there soooooo friggen bad.. i gotta do mine in a few weeks for the first time going to be at 105k by then. its going to suck so much. ive put off doing it for like 25k miles. but have a pretty bad miss under hard gas.

master paper clip

there soooooo friggen bad.. i gotta do mine in a few weeks for the first time going to be at 105k by then. its going to suck so much. ive put off doing it for like 25k miles. but have a pretty bad miss under hard gas.

Yea they suck big time, there is a to kit for it if they break takes all of 5 min to take out the broken plug, still annoying but makes it a little better. Good luck

JSP

Administrator
Thats also a good way to blow a plug out of the head, no? Happened a lot on the 97-03 F150's... Plug would get loose and blow out stripping the head. I get the concept but I think a slightly loose plug and doing this a couple of times would be just as bad to the threads as some carbon build up.

rug_burn

Not that I'm one for changing plugs too often... but what works pretty good on threads that tend to stick is to take a regular (graphite) pencil, and do like you're blackening the threads, just twist the plug while holding the pencil point to the threads, over as much of the thread as you feel is necessary. In other words you're applying graphite, a good dry lubricant, to the threads. And pencils are always around.
This also works good on locks or anything which is out in the weather, too.

But you know what? Most manufacturers would have us changing the plugs way too much. My other motorcycle (Honda Valkyrie) is supposed to have the plugs changed every 7500 miles, when they're still new looking! A decent plug should go 50,000 miles with no problem at all, especially with unleaded fuel. My car has had its original plugs in it for 175,000 miles, and runs great, and passes California smog tests, no problem. I admit, it's about time to quit putting it off, and replace those ones, however. (I would have changed the damn things if only I could find, or at least see them. I know they're in there somewhere...) I have an old airplane that has not had new plugs for the 22 years I've owned it, and runs real good. And they were used when I got the plane; I just keep 'em clean and gapped to the specs.
But that's just me.

Last edited:
V

Vapordan

My car has had its original plugs in it for 175,000 miles, and runs great, and passes California smog tests, no problem. I admit, it's about time to quit putting it off, and replace those ones, however. (I would have changed the damn things if only I could find, or at least see them. I know they're in there somewhere...) I have an old airplane that has not had new plugs for the 22 years I've owned it, and runs real good.

175k? Oh come on man, it's about time. On the plane thing, I aint even going there. Plane and simple. pun intended.

pigdog

i used iridium on my last bike went 54,000miles. when i removed them for inspection they looked brand new. they're famous for blowing carbon build-up off the combustion chambers

9 Lives

i used iridium on my last bike went 54,000miles. when i removed them for inspection they looked brand new. they're famous for blowing carbon build-up off the combustion chambers

I gotta get them carbon blowing plugs, they are also famous for sealing the valves giving you like 20% more power and way better fuel mileage.

:bs2: