SoCal Moto Gymkhana Chapter

xpertsnowcarver

The Sneaky Butcher
Morning fellas. I would like to share what the guys over at AMGRASS are doing, so we can start a chapter here in SoCal. Moto Gymkhana started in Japan in the late 70s, and there are plenty of videos on YouTube.

NY AMGRASS Sessions
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYv_YDWPiCY]MotoGymkhana 07 06 13 - YouTube[/ame]

In Japan
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFEh59GVMnQ]Welcome to the world of Moto Gymkhana Vol.1 - YouTube[/ame]

If you'd like to join me in rallying a group of riders that enjoy a challenging obstacle course, feel free to post here, so we can start setting up our own sessions.

The point of this is more than a contest of you versus the clock. Its to build confidence in yourself and your machine! We'll start of small and keep things low-key in parking lots, but I would like to see official local events in the near future.

If you're not in the SoCal area, Feel free to check out their website to find out if they're hosting a session near you!

Bajaedition

a bit out of the coastal area but that looks like fun
Desert center here, do you have a email signup we can get on?

Tango59

I'd like to do that to but wouldn't be enough interest here. If you're close to a PD that has a motorcycle squad, find out where they practice. They'll mark off a large parking lot and paint dots where the cones would go. Go watch them to see which patterns they run and then when it's not in use give it a shot. I work for a large dept with a big motors division and go play on the mall parking lot they use for the Motors Rodeo. Be forwarned tho.... You're gonna dump it !!!

If you get to see um pratice, chat one of the guys/gals up and ask for riding tips or pointers. Not all um are dickheads.

xpertsnowcarver

The Sneaky Butcher
i was expecting drifting still pretty cool tho

Lol. Yea we all can thank Ken Block for the percieved context of Gymkhana. You'll find that the word started being used for riders demonstrating talent on horses.

Horse Field Day Gymkhana 2009

I'd like to do that to but wouldn't be enough interest here. If you're close to a PD that has a motorcycle squad, find out where they practice. They'll mark off a large parking lot and paint dots where the cones would go. Go watch them to see which patterns they run and then when it's not in use give it a shot. I work for a large dept with a big motors division and go play on the mall parking lot they use for the Motors Rodeo. Be forwarned tho.... You're gonna dump it !!!

If you get to see um pratice, chat one of the guys/gals up and ask for riding tips or pointers. Not all um are dickheads.

Ive been to a few areas where local PDs practice, but I get shooed away by private security. Last time I went to a Boeing Facility on a Sunday where CHP practices and leaves their cones out. Talk about a challenge!

No joke on dumping it. These guys are scraping both sides of their hogs almost 90% of the time. Still waiting for an opportunity to meet up with them.

a bit out of the coastal area but that looks like fun
Desert center here, do you have a email signup we can get on?

Not at the moment. Im just referencing the updates they put up at AMGRASS.com (sorry if this sounds like some kind of sales pitch).

They welcome anyone to start a group in their local areas. Id love to see this become as competitive as they have it in Japan.

xpertsnowcarver

The Sneaky Butcher
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP-Uob1mYOI]RiDE magazine tries moto gymkhana - YouTube[/ame]

His commentary at the end greatly describes what I'd like to see here!

xpertsnowcarver

The Sneaky Butcher
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec7JviieEV4]Moto Gymkhana Practice 2013-08-17 - YouTube[/ame]

Here's a video of a meet about a week ago!

Will be meeting again this Sunday in Ports O Call, San Pedro, Ca. So if you're out for a cruise, in the area, or want to have some fun, don't be shy! Stop by!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After visiting this San Pedro harbor parking lot a few times, I've met three LAHD (K9) officers and spoken with a property director (not the owner). None of them have a problem with us using the lot, as long as we demonstrate good conduct, though I'm sure too many of us assembling there could cause a stir, regardless of a peaceful assembly. To quote one of the officers, "technically, we shouldn't let people in here, but we don't care really. We just don't want people causing trouble, defacing property, or jumping over the k-rails."

With that said, Ill be there this weekend. I pretty much come by every or every other weekend. Its clean, very little trash and dirt. This is not an official event, nor am I a professional, so don't be shy. I'll be helping the same two friends from last time.

This is free, and Ill be bringing my cones and setting up the course. Everyone is welcome, as long as the (obvious) rules are followed. You will be asked to leave if you do not. No destroying of property, riding dangerously, or otherwise becoming a liability. Speeds on this course wouldn't exceed 40MPH. Use parking lot speeds (15mph) when entering and leaving. No stunting, speeding, or generally becoming a public nuisance. If your exhaust is way too loud and attracts unwanted attention, please silence it or don't come. I love ear bleeding loud MotoGP or F1 exhausts, but this isn't the place for that.

Bring your own water, snacks, and possibly a first aid kit, in case you hurt yourself. Wear all your gear! I fell at just 15 mph leaning too hard, shoving the footpeg into the ground and rashed my arm up good.

Visit this link for directions to the location. We've Moved!
Again, please don't "burn out" this location, or ruin it for others.

Last edited:

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
:D I am so stoked to see his sort of thing, anything that evolves "mastering" our 2 wheeled souls. I might be getting a trials bike this winter from a co-worker and I'm trying to trade some stuff right now for a crf450x.
I would soooooo try this with the 450x, but not the fx8...... Or the vmax.......:eek: