So I just accidentally scratched this guy's car while filtering up to a red light. I pulled over, but he left. What do?

eru000

So, I just got into work from my Sunday-morning commute, and I need to get this off my chest. I was riding into Manhattan from the Williamsburg Bridge.

Anyway, I get off the bridge and make my way to Canal Street (I know, should have taken the Manhattan Bridge, but I took the Williamsburg out of habit), heading west and just before 6th or so (I think it was West Broadway), I was filtering up to the front of a red light and swung around to the left of a minivan from behind. Somehow I lost my balance and I had to lean into his van with my shoulder (I was wearing an armored jacket, no injury or anything), but my mirror/handlebar left a nice 2-foot scratch. No dents or anything, just a relatively gentle scrape. I pulled up to his window and flipped up my visor. I apologized sincerely and he asked "*what did you do*". I told him there was a little scratch (maybe "little" wasn't the right word". I'm not sure if he could actually see it but he said "*LITTLE*?!". He then told me to "get out of here" (the light had turned green by this point). I pulled off to the right in front of him giving him plenty of room to pull over so we could exchange info, but he sped off. I'll assume he got my license

I feel really bad for a number of reasons:
  1. I damaged someone's property doing something dumb
  2. He left before I could offer to pay for damages, or fix it myself (coincidentally, I just purchased scratch remover for my girlfriend)
  3. I'm sure I left a bad image for motorcyclists in this guy's head (and possibly onlookers)
  4. This guy had his whole family in the car, and I probably just ruined his day

I would really like to find this guy to make it right, but I didn't get his license plate after he pulled off (I was a bit frazzled with the whole thing). I'm still kinda stunned, since I've never done anything like this in the nearly 5 years of my motorcycling career. I've filtered up to tens of thousands of red lights and I lane-split on my commute in heavy traffic every day. I've never even come close to hitting someone's car like this, short of maybe knocking a mirror with my mirror (but that's nothing, really). There's not really much I can do now, but feel bad.

Another thought occurs to me, should I expect some kind of police response from this? He was easily able to get my license plate, so in the case that he calls something in as a "hit and run" (which is bullshit, since he left), would they do anything? Should I report it myself? It happened about an hour ago at this point. I'm currently parked in plain view about 3 blocks from where this happened...

master paper clip

Dude what are u worried for u already did what probably more people wouldn't do... U owned up to the mistake and told the guy instead of him finding out on his own... U again pulled over after the man said to just leave just so u can be a good man and pay for repairs or offer to fix them your self... The man decided to drive off As far as I'm concerned thats grounds for a clear conceiousness.

eru000

U owned up to the mistake and told the guy instead of him finding out on his own...

To be fair, it'd be hard for him not to notice. I pretty much crashed into the car. I had to slam my shoulder into it since I was tipping over. He easily felt the car rock and heard it.

master paper clip

To be fair, it'd be hard for him not to notice. I pretty much crashed into the car. I had to slam my shoulder into it since I was tipping over. He easily felt the car rock and heard it.

Yeah but u didn't try and play it off or avoid him... U went rite to his window and told him. I see people hit others all the time living on the jersey shore and people almost always try to change there direction to avoid the person they hit or they try and play it off like it didn't happen

eru000

Good point. I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't think I handled it wrong, but I wish he gave me the opportunity to fix it.

Woody146

Banned
Is lane filtering the same as splitting? I hit mirrors alllllll the time lol...what you did from what I'm reading is hit him with your body..that's a bit different than crashing into him...not to mention you absolutely did the right thing by a. Telling him, and b. Attempting to swap info. He may be a fellow rider that looked at it as he just help you from going down...?

But regardless...you will never make a worse impression than the New York incident with the range rover.

eru000

Is lane filtering the same as splitting? I hit mirrors alllllll the time lol...what you did from what I'm reading is hit him with your body..that's a bit different than crashing into him...not to mention you absolutely did the right thing by a. Telling him, and b. Attempting to swap info. He may be a fellow rider that looked at it as he just help you from going down...?

But regardless...you will never make a worse impression than the New York incident with the range rover.

I see filtering as lane splitting in stopped traffic. I was filtering up to the front of the red light. And I hit him with my body, but my mirror (or handlebar, not sure which specifically) left a long, deep scratch on his car.

From his body language he didn't seem too happy.

You probably shouldn't be hitting mirrors all the time, buddy :eb:

Story?

Woody146

Banned
I see filtering as lane splitting in stopped traffic. I was filtering up to the front of the red light. And I hit him with my body, but my mirror (or handlebar, not sure which specifically) left a long, deep scratch on his car.

From his body language he didn't seem too happy.

You probably shouldn't be hitting mirrors all the time, buddy :eb:

Story?

For sure...yea.tha sucks for him...probably didn't notice till he got where he was going.

People are dicks here in Cali...they crowd the line so bikes can't really fit through the middle..and it's 100% legal here???but I have bar end mirrors that fold (the exact reason I bought the folding ones) so no damage either way..usually just knock both our mirrors out of line..no one has ever said anything or tried to stop me..I would stop if they tried to stop me...maybe lol

On shit!??!? You live in NYC and didn't hear about this?? Was about 1 year ago...around 100 bikes or more group riding in NYC somewhere..1 of em brake checked the rover..the rover ran him over..all the bikes surrounded the range and started beating the car and driver with helmets and whatever else they could...it was ****ed up...driver was with his family...but everyone as in the wrong..search it on youtube..it's all on video(go pro) and there was a few off duty cops tangled up in that mess too...

http://youtu.be/7dqIPRYTWWA

http://youtu.be/INfElroIKO0

eru000

People are dicks here in Cali...they crowd the line so bikes can't really fit through the middle..and it's 100% legal here???but I have bar end mirrors that fold (the exact reason I bought the folding ones) so no damage either way..usually just knock both our mirrors out of line..no one has ever said anything or tried to stop me..I would stop if they tried to stop me...maybe lol

Oh, well. I usually fold my mirrors before I start splitting so I *don't* hit them ;)

On shit!??!? You live in NYC and didn't hear about this?? Was about 1 year ago...around 100 bikes or more group riding in NYC somewhere..1 of em brake checked the rover..the rover ran him over..all the bikes surrounded the range and started beating the car and driver with helmets and whatever else they could...it was ****ed up...driver was with his family...but everyone as in the wrong..search it on youtube..it's all on video(go pro) and there was a few off duty cops tangled up in that mess too...

Oh, I've totally heard about that. I thought you meant you had your own range rover story. And holy shit, was that a year ago? Time flies, man.

pigdog

i knocked a mirror off, called chp, reported, never got a call back. i got hit when a range rover rolled into me at a stop light, knocking me over & taking off before i could get up. wtf