Skills Improvements: Books, Videos, and Other Resources

alexk

Weekend Rider
Coming from a high-speed driver training world, I'm of the opinion that the best modification you can ever make to a vehicle is to the rider.

No matter who we are, or how much experience we have, there's always room to improve our skills. While the hooligan in us all says 'faster faster', the skills to go faster can be applied to normal-speed riding, making us and everyone around us that much safer.

To that end, I'd like to start a thread with learning resources. Please post any books, videos, training, or other resources you think has helped you be a better rider.

alexk

Weekend Rider
Motorcycle Safety Foundation classes

Some states require an MSF course to get a motorcycle license. Even if yours doesn't, I highly recommend everyone (including cagers and seasoned riders) take the class. It helped me immeasurably in learning my limits, my regular mistakes, coping skills, emergency handling and mechanics.

MSF Basic RiderCourse

The book the course is based on is available from Amazon
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Safety-Foundations-Motorcycling-Excellence/dp/1884313477/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363824543&sr=1-1&keywords=motorcycle+safety+foundation"]The Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Guide to Motorcycling Excellence: Skills, Knowledge, and Strategies for Riding Right (2nd Edition)[/ame]

atx8

I took my MSF class a few years ago and would like to take another sometime in the near future.

DanS

Commuter
A Twist Of The Wrist II by Keith Code. I've watched the movie and now I'm reading the book. Very informative! The movie is on youtube

Last edited:

e11charlie

I'm taking an advanced STARS course this summer and making the pilgrimage to my first track day at MMP this year.

DLSGAP

+1 on twist of the wrist by Keith code..

Sport riding techniques by Nick ienastch is good as well

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk

alexk

Weekend Rider
Twist of the Wrist II by Keith Code

• [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0965045021/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]A Twist of the Wrist 2: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding (Paperback)[/ame] $14
  • [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0965045072/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]A Twist of the Wrist II (DVD)[/ame] $20

Bootleg video can be found on YouTube. I admit, I watched it there, but I was so impressed that I bought the video (new) to support the man and to get a copy I can loan to friends and coworkers.

As mentioned by DanS and E11Charlie, I'd like to add my recommendation to A Twist of the Wrist II. While it is track oriented, the vast bulk of the content can be directly applied to street riding, and even at relaxed commute speeds - thereby making every ride that much safer.

He covers all the basic mistakes riders (even many advanced ones make), how to combat them, and how to begin to excel.

I read the book and noticed a number of things I was doing subconsciously that were upsetting the bike and/or putting me in danger. Some of his diagrams in the book were unclear, so when I finished the book I watched the video - the two are wonderful references for eachother and clarify eachother's vaguearies well.

I can't stress enough - at the very least watch the video on YouTube, but please give serious consideration to buying copies - unless you're a pro rider, they WILL help you improve.

tiki

I'm surprised nobody mentioned David Hough, his proficient motorcycling book has a lot of a good tips, and I even bought the sequel, which has a lot more tips in it ( a lot of repeated information but a lot more specifics)
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding/dp/B0064XGUFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364437779&sr=8-1&keywords=proficient+motorcycling]Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well: David L. Hough: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/More-Proficient-Motorcycling-Mastering-Ride/dp/B0057D9YKW/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364437820&sr=1-1&keywords=more+proficient+motorcycling]More Proficient Motorcycling: Mastering the Ride: David L. Hough: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

FZ8canuk

I own all those books and have watched the twist of the wrist video at least a dozen times.
My wife( she rides an FZ6R) and I will be taking a skilled riders course this May to start the ride session off with a bit of skill building. If the course proves to be worth the money we plan on taking it every summer before we hit the roads. I think a good number of riders feel the same way as we do as the course dates filled up in just a few short day's of becoming avalable.

waypoint

mod squad
silverliner is a msf instructor. gonna be taking a course with him in may. i've heard some cools stories about people who are still alive because of things they learned at the course... things that you wouldn't have expected to learn.
good thread!

Silverliner

Hi Guys,

First and foremost an MSF basic rider course to get you started. If you live in Southern California, I highly suggest the California Superbike School with the theories of Keith Code or the STAR riding school taught by Reg and Jason Pridmoor. Motorcycle coaching 101 offers on street training in the Santa Monica Mountains showing proper lines, braking points as well as delayed and early apexing. I have taken it and it made me a much smoother rider. Also if you really want a reality check take a Moto officer course. I took the Alameda County Sheriff civilian moto officer course. It was the hardest but best riding experience I have ever had.

Ride Safe,
Don
MSF Ridercoach
Ride Rite Motorcycle Training

elim70

I have "sport riding techniques" totw 2, and my favorite "total control" by Lee Parks. Lee has a total control riders course all over the country. Dates, times, locations, and specific course levels are on his website Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk