Shifting from neutral to 1st at a stop light - clicking/ticking keeps the gear up in neutral

FRODAS

When rolling to a stop I shift down through the gears and release the clutch slightly so it grabs the gear for a split second so that all the revolutions are lined up when slowing down. When I'm at the stop i' end up in 1st and if the light is taking to long i bump it to neutral and release the clutch. The shift from 1st to neutral feels good and free (no issues). When it's time to go i try shifting from neutral to 1st but when i push with my foot down gently i get a clicking noise and the gear lever ticks up like 1st gear is rejecting it. It literally feels like 1st gear spitting up my gear lever. If i force it with a hard push down it sounds like i just jumped into the gear spinning and ruined the heck out of it.

It gets lined up again when rolling back or when i pump the clutch before shifting (or sometime i need to do both) but I have this issue at 80% of my stops. I'm short so i can only really stand on the bike with one foot down and it can be hard to roll back. Pulling the clutch in and out sometimes doesn't work by itself. I have the clutch handle pulled back all the way touching the handlebar so it's not like i'm not pulling the clutch in all the way but sometimes it feels like i'm trying to shift through what feels like the clutch is somewhat engaged or something.

My thoughts are that when in neutral, the "wind" or pressure from the other piece spinning moves off the alignment for when i'm ready to shit. My second thought is that my clutch slack needs to be adjusted but with the lever pulled in just half way it's fully disengaged so pulling it all the way back to touch the handlebar should definitely mean that the plates aren't touching when trying to shift.

Any thoughts/similar issue on your bike?

2012 FZ8

esapper95

When rolling to a stop I shift down through the gears and release the clutch slightly so it grabs the gear for a split second so that all the revolutions are lined up when slowing down. When I'm at the stop i' end up in 1st and if the light is taking to long i bump it to neutral and release the clutch. The shift from 1st to neutral feels good and free (no issues). When it's time to go i try shifting from neutral to 1st but when i push with my foot down gently i get a clicking noise and the gear lever ticks up like 1st gear is rejecting it. It literally feels like 1st gear spitting up my gear lever. If i force it with a hard push down it sounds like i just jumped into the gear spinning and ruined the heck out of it.

It gets lined up again when rolling back or when i pump the clutch before shifting (or sometime i need to do both) but I have this issue at 80% of my stops. I'm short so i can only really stand on the bike with one foot down and it can be hard to roll back. Pulling the clutch in and out sometimes doesn't work by itself. I have the clutch handle pulled back all the way touching the handlebar so it's not like i'm not pulling the clutch in all the way but sometimes it feels like i'm trying to shift through what feels like the clutch is somewhat engaged or something.

My thoughts are that when in neutral, the "wind" or pressure from the other piece spinning moves off the alignment for when i'm ready to shit. My second thought is that my clutch slack needs to be adjusted but with the lever pulled in just half way it's fully disengaged so pulling it all the way back to touch the handlebar should definitely mean that the plates aren't touching when trying to shift.

2012 FZ8

I've never seen this issue personally but I would check oil level and play with the clutch adjustment.

reALIGNed

2012 FZ8

You might have an issue with the shift linkage not being at the proper adjustment/length, or it may be a clutch cable adjustment on the lower end of the cable (under fuel tank), For what its worth, take it to the dealer and have them verify your adjustments are where they should be, it could be slightly off. Its a simple job for them and may be a "no charge" customer service. If this fixes your issue, then great....if not, try to time your stops to avoid jambing into gear, repeatedly this is not good.

cmbcp

"....................off the alignment for when i'm ready to shit."

This is one time you want your alignment accurate.......

FRODAS

"....................off the alignment for when i'm ready to shit."

This is one time you want your alignment accurate.......

LMAO

Thanks guys for your feedback, i'll take a look at that and take it in if necessary.