Satan R1 shock adapter Ver. 4

Wolf_Hook

If you have a ladder, roll the ass end of the bike under it then support it from the passenger pegs with tie downs.

jumb5150

so here's my plan.Im going to use a forklift and connect some straps to the passenger foot peg supports. Then a floor jack underneath the Cat for some support.

jumb5150

floor jack is all i need? no front stand at all? if thats the case, this is gonna be a bit easier then.

One more thing,do I need to take off the battery to get to the voltage regulator tray or is all this underneath?

D

Deleted member 438

You have to remove the seat, battery, and the right triangular trim piece to get the R/R bracket out. It's all fairly easy to do. If you hang it like I did then you don't need any stands at all, but you could probably use a rear to level the bike before you lift it.

Last edited by a moderator:

jumb5150

Thank you Doom for the help this is what i basically did.

and luckily, I had a friend who happens to be a mechanic helping me out.
He suggested we paint the exposed metal after we grinded and welded. This project is definitely easier with two people. But once I was done, i got on the bike and stood on the pegs and bounced. My god!! what a difference from the stock shock. It feels much more solid. I rode my normal way today to work and I was trying to hit every bump and this R1 Shock just soaked it up.

I am writing an instructable for this and will put it up on our how to section. Thank you to everyone who has helped me out with this mod.

jumb5150

Now I believe that my ride height increased by a tiny bit from the R1 shock. Should I be concerned about this? Or is it fine leaving the front end alone?

ramrod

Congrats man. Do you have any pictures of the bike on the ground? I'm interested in seeing how the yellow spring came out.

Satan666

Production Run 3

If you have not been following the 'other' forum, Production Run 3 is complete and I have a few adapters available. PM for purchase info.

Satan666

Production Run 4

Just wanted to let you know that production run 4 is complete and that all riders who PM'd interest have been taken care of.

I have a few adapters left, PM for info. Be advised, FCFS. Typically, all adapters are gone in less than 2 weeks.

Keach

Just wanted to let you know that production run 4 is complete and that all riders who PM'd interest have been taken care of.

I have a few adapters left, PM for info. Be advised, FCFS. Typically, all adapters are gone in less than 2 weeks.

Paypal was sent for mine :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Satan666

Production Run 5

Production Run 5 is done and all of the members on the waiting list contacted. Made a few extra this run. PM for info.

bt1

I've just finished the shock change over on a 2010 FZ8, 2006 R1 shock and Satan's adapter.

I'd really like to thank Satan for prompt post to Aussie and the completeness of the included instructions. Made the whole job doable for a avg handy man and is logically stepped out...Well Done!

One tip if i can pass on for those with limited equipment, a steel framed ladder and a 4:1 block and tackle makes the mm by mm adjustments of aligning the bolts up a breeze....You can adjust height while ready to bolt up.

Again my thanks
bt1

kind of off topic but i just found out and personally did the modification to fit a 2009-2014 rear shock on the ver. 4 adapter. little background i ended up scoring brand new 2013 r1 front forks (black) and rear shock for 450 shipped. guy brought a new r1 and before riding it went with Ohlins front and rear so that's how i got them. on the 09 and up the shock is comp and preload adjustable (not on the spring like the 08 and down). the 09 and up shocks top mount comes apart in a few pieces. bearing, bushing and two oil seals. I removed those parts and filed the top mount down to fit into the adapter. the mount is thicker and will not fit into the adapter with-out the filing. I am waiting on new oil seals to put it together but will post pics when i do. BTW you can get 09 and up shocks on ebay with almost no miles for less then 75 bucks.