Ride Height with FZ1 shock fitted

unfazed

Hi,

Does anyone have an FZ1 shock on their FZ8? I want to fit a better shock but I would also like to raise the rear end of the bike up about .5" (and the front to match, need to find the sweet spot) or so - the bike rides very much on the back wheel with stock geometry

Last edited:

SVTF119Z

I acquired an FZ1 shock but haven't installed it yet. I'll piggyback and see what people who have installed them say.

HeresMyMind

The fz1 and fz8 are the same ride height. The only way to adjust it is to mess with the sag height via preload.

-B

Satan666

If you must . . .

Hi,

Does anyone have an FZ1 shock on their FZ8? I want to fit a better shock but I would also like to raise the rear end of the bike up about .5" (and the front to match, need to find the sweet spot) or so - the bike rides very much on the back wheel with stock geometry

Substitute the dogbone from an '04-'06 R1 and you will raise the rear about 14mm (+1/2"). Fleabay for about $15.

Use my adapter with an R1 shock ('04-'08) depending on riders weight and you will up your ante about 20mm (+3/4") and have a much better shock. PM for info.

If you want to edify yourself, place the bike on a scale and record the readings for the front & rear wheel while you are sitting on it.

Take note that modifying things like ride height and steering head angle can have unintended consequences such as the need to modify the kickstand and lean angle in turns. Also, raising the center of gravity changes the amount of lift required to keep things upright.