Replacement Rear Shock???

bigolkep

Ive read and watched a shit ton of reviews on the FZ8 and every single one mentions the rear shock just being too soft? anyone experiencing this for themselves? how are the preload adjustments? I pick my new 8 up on tue and im just curious if what cycle world is saying is true...that the 8 is a replacement rear shock away from handling NIRVANA....thanks men

lothodon

Super Moderator
from what i've read it's the front forks that are the drawback. non adjustable.

i'm about to go get my 8 in about an hour and have a 40 mile bumpy ride home. i'm 190lbs and will let you know what i thought about the suspension when i get back.

Speedo007

I went for a 120km ride this afternoon. I'm 180lbs. Back suspension is a bit soft and springy...but I must say roads around here are TERRIBLE. It might be a bit too soft for when I have a passenger (havent tried yet), but otherwise, it's a pretty decent balance between confort and performance. If your roads are nice and smooth, you might want to replace the rear shock and possibly the front fork too (if not just change oil density in the fork) to make the bike feel stiffer.
But for real world riding, I think the shocks do a pretty decent job. Any bike can get suspension improvements, it just depends on what you do.

I only have 400km on the bike this week so I'm not riding as aggressive as I usually would (in the appropriate places of course and without traffic..), but I must say the handling is really amazing. As I've said in another post, it handles better then my 2009 Speed Triple which had far superior suspensions and handled great! Sure the rear bounces a bit, but you can flick the bike from side to side like a bicycle and it turns on a dime too. Always keep in mind these reviews are done by guys that the week before might have tried the R1 or MV F4...so of course you notice when you drop to a budget suspension. But it still does a great job. You can't expect full Ohlin suspensions on a bike this price. Unless you weigh 200lbs+ I really don't think a suspension upgrade is a necessity. I personally changed the tires to Michelin Pilot Road 2, that will certainly help in the corners. Even with the best suspensions, the tires will most likely be the first limit...

Put a few hundred km on the bike before you shop for new suspensions. As you might just feel they are perfect for your type of riding.

Last edited:

lothodon

Super Moderator
i agree with speedo's post. i only put 34 miles on today as it's COLD in wisconsin, but the ride was amazing. it's quite soft compared to my last bike (r1) but it's FAR more appropriate for wisconsin roads than my r1.

the ride was great, suspension took a lot of the bumps out of the road that would have almost tossed me on my r1. i think it's perfect for a solo rider. i won't have a passenger until mid may so i'll post my comments then as to how two up riding feels.

Speedo007

Missing the power wheelies in 3rd gear? lol You're probably still in the break-in period...and under 6k rpm the bike still hasn't shown it's best side.
I did do some quick 10k rpm tests, and it just sounds SO good...and power is really nice up there.

Curious to know what you think of the handling compared to your R1...

i am 275 lbs and i dont really ride to aggressive as i am normally riding with my father and a bunch of older guys on their cruisers but i have taken it through some pretty windy roads without them and i did find the the suspension a little soft but i didnt notice a huge difference from my 2000 kawasaki ninja 750 i could hold the same speed if not faster and the same line through all the corners ....

i have had a passenger on (poor bike) and just for short rides through town down some rough highways it does feel springy but keep in mind i have not touched the suspension at all in the rear to stiffen it up at all. keep in mind there was a lot of weight on this bike and it still handled very pretty good. im sure with the little adjustment you have in the rear it would have made a huge difference when riding with a passenger ...

i think all in all for the street you will be able to do what you want with the bike... like said in previous post these guys giving their reviews they are used to riding on the top of the line bikes so its impossible for them not to compare somewhat to your aprila, bmw's, ducati's so your not going to have the same suspension quality on these bikes as you will on your high end sport bikes...

Last edited: