Removing stickers on the tank !!!%%$/%?"&

Speedo007

The one who designed the adhesive on the tank warning stickers, deserves to be castrated by a crocodile.

There's a clear plastic on the stickers that peals off easily, and then you're stuck with a sticker (2 stickers on canadian models one english, one french) that can only be removed 1/16" at a time before breaking, and that, even after using a hair dryer to warm up the sticker, if you don't warm it, it's only worse.

Took me about 30-45 minutes to remove them by scratching with my nails. Once all the sticker is gone and you're left with a shitty adhesive, I used plenty of GooGone.

GooGone Goo Gone Sticker Lifter

GooGone does work great to remove the remaining crap without harming the clear coat. And to my surprise after 30-45 minutes of nails scratching the paint, once it was cleaned up, it was as good as new (I suspect the glue was actually protecting the surface in some way when I was scratching). I didnt use the plastic tool that comes with the GooGone, my nails felt softer.

Make sure you wash the bike before doing this, if there's dust on the tank by the time your done scratching, you'll be down to the metal...make sure your nails are smooth and tank is free of dust/dirt, cause once the dirt mixes with the adhesive your toast.

Last edited:

lothodon

Super Moderator
i ended up having to use my heat gun to get the under clear part off and it took just shy of forever! goo gone was my final tool of choice as well.

oh no i was thinking about taking those off i didnt think it was going to be such a big job!

hahaa i may just take it to my buddy he must have something to remove graphics as he does install them lol

Speedo007

I have a friend who works in the printing/sticker industry (and they make some of these stickers) and he explained me the thing with these stickers is that they are made to be hard to remove and break apart when you try to remove them. That way if someone gets hurt for not following instructions on that warning and the manufacturer finds out the stickers were removed (cause now we all know they don't peal off by themselves:p), you couldnt sue them saying you weren't warned about the danger.

I have a 2005 Fz6 and when I bought it the stickers were still on the tank and swingarm. Was wondering how they could look so new after 6 years. Now I know.

The adhesive is crazy shit and they put a UV-blocking clear plastic on top of the sticker so it will last for ever without ever fading.

There's some products that could be strong enough to melt the sticker itself, but to be strong enough for that, there's also a risk of it being strong enough to damage the clear coat (and the plastic part in front of the tank if you're not careful). So really the best/safest way, is really some heat - just enough to keep the sticker warm, patience and GooGone.

Last edited:

lol yeah he deals with really thick vynel for snowcross sled wraps so his stuff is really hard to take off .. so he has the patience to remove this stuff and well come on better him doing it then me lol

Speedo007

Guess you have a better friend then me, he told me they were crap to take off but didnt offer to take em off lol!

crashinsux

I did the fingernail/no heat routine. Took about 30-40 minutes. Wd-40 works surprisingly well getting the glue off. I just sprayed some on a flannel rag and rubbed it off.

Spike82

tank paint is "fuel resistant" so i took away the clear plastic and then use a little of fuel and use my nail , it come off easy easy easy, after that i wash the tank and TADAAAA the fuel tank is perfectly white and clean .... try to see

Lou Menace

tank paint is "fuel resistant" so i took away the clear plastic and then use a little of fuel and use my nail , it come off easy easy easy, after that i wash the tank and TADAAAA the fuel tank is perfectly white and clean .... try to see

Did you have to mention the white tank?:cool:

I'm jealous again :depressed:

Only Black Raven in US.