removal and replacing forks question

hypo

I've done quite a bit of wrenching, but have never really messed around with the front end forks or triple tree's on any of my bikes...

are there any gotcha's? anything you should mark/tape to remember where things were set at etc?

anyone do this to any of their bikes?

beefcake morris

I like to measure how much the fork tube comes out of the top triple tree.

This is over kill. I also place a towel folded up under each fork as I lossen the tripple camps up, under them. I saw a guys taking them out and he slipped with the tube and it hit the ground pretty hard.

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
I like to use blue painters tape to make sure nothing gets scratched. Only other real "gotcha" is to be careful how the bike is lifted. When you remove the weight of the front assembly the balance can shift. I usually strap the bike to my lift when I am doing anything more than routine maintenance. Im thinking about a front end swap so I will probably be in the same boat as you here in a few weeks. Almost too much information out there and I am finding it confusing. Anyone know what front assembly we can use and retain the upper triple. 6 pots would be a nice addition.

Thanks,

D

Deleted member 438

Make sure you have a sturdy front stand that lifts the bike from the lower triple(I have a pitbull). Next remove the front fender, then the calipers, front wheel, then you can finally get the tubes out. While you have the calipers off it gives you a good opportunity to inspect the front pads and make.sure they are clean. It all goes back together in reverse order and just make sure everything is torqued to spec. You might have to take your upper off on the VFR.