Rear suspension, rear arm relay bent

socal

no i am going to have the stealership do it. i am not sure how to disconnect a shock and it might be covered under warranty.

do you need a special jack to lift from the bottom so there is no weight on the swingarm?

you can just lift the bike, its light, and place it in small stands infront of the swing arm, so it can droop. the shock has internal bump stops so it has a travel limit. if the load due to the bike is off of it the coilover can come off in one ease assembly. you shouldnt have to undo more then 4/5 bolts.

tzortn

Pillion
i bought it new so it happened while i have owned it and i have no idea how it happened. there is another thread on here where someone else had the same thing happen.
http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-general-discussion/1256-rear-suspension-failure.html

It is interesting that both of you are in Brooklyn. I know that the roads can be pretty gnarly there. I wonder if that is what did it.

I am going to check mine when I get home. If there is any sign of problems I think that I would upgrade to steel.

Blanchy

Something funny here. The bent part to my understanding should be under tension with weight on the bike. That should make it want to be straight. Am I missing something here? Or has a foreign object got between the linkage and been chopped like a guillotine?

RoadKill

not sure what you mean Blanchy. but i have no idea why it folded over like that.
this might be covered under warranty. will find out in a few days.

b-eock

He means the part that's bent in, is supposed to be pulled on by the other parts. It isn't having pressure pushed onto it, but it is being pulled on.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

RoadKill

at this point i am %100 sure it was the bump in the middle lane coming off the Whitestone bridge. it is one hell of a bump and i bottomed out on it one day.
then subsequent bumps after that bent it further. i was 207lbs at that time, i am 179 now. The preload was at position 5. i really dont think much of our rear shocks.

Last edited:

RoadKill

So i went to see if my center stand had come in at the dealership and one of the guys that works there had the same exact problem on his bike with 700 miles. bent relay arms not as bad yet but bending the same way that mine did.

Yamaha has been researching this with the dealership and asking me a million questions now a new case has come up. this does not help my trust in the shock relay mechanism.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
you can just lift the bike, its light, and place it in small stands infront of the swing arm

Or take off the passenger pegs, and use a steel bar or a piece of wood across the underside of the bike resting on two jack stands.......

That's how we checked to make sure my rear sets wouldn't hit my underbody exhaust. Worked like a champ.

Last edited:

RoadKill

So i went to see if my center stand had come in at the dealership and one of the guys that works there had the same exact problem on his bike with 700 miles. bent relay arms not as bad yet but bending the same way that mine did.

Yamaha has been researching this with the dealership and asking me a million questions now a new case has come up. this does not help my trust in the shock relay mechanism.

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
It is interesting that both of you are in Brooklyn. I know that the roads can be pretty gnarly there. I wonder if that is what did it.

I am going to check mine when I get home. If there is any sign of problems I think that I would upgrade to steel.

Mine are made of steel. I have magnets stuck to them to trip traffic lights. If anybody's is not made of steel then something really is wrong.

JSP

Administrator

Good to know they are at least looking into it... or so it seems. Thanks for the update.