Rear Fz8 brake noise

Nemo

hi guys , i am wondering about a strange noise my rear brake doing ... its a kind of clunk ... it does it sometimes when i brake with the rear brake ... but its doing it all the time if i use the brake going backward and forward right after it ... if i brake a few time going foward , the noise will end and might happens later in the ride , but not for a while ... but if i do like in the video i posted above , forward / backward / forward ... its doin it all the time ! .. is that normal !??? ive read about floating brake type some bike use .. is it that?

here the video i took of the sound ... Its kinda loud cause of the echo in the garage , but its still loud even with no echo .. not hard to hear at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdjhP-BDQ-g

thank for any advice / info in advance !

9 Lives

Not normal, there should be no play in any of the brake parts. First check to see your axle bolt is tight. If that's not the problem have someone have a close look at the caliper when your moving the bike back and forth and try to see where the play is coming from. There are shims between the pads and caliper that take up the free play between the pads and caliper, check to make sure they are in place.

Nemo

when i brake , the whole caliper seems to be moving a little .. like if the caliper woould have a little free play ... !?!?!

reALIGNed

Mine did the same thing, it was caused by corrosion forming on the axle assembly, the fix was to clean, wire brush and lightly lube the axle bolt, spacers and swing arm. Small film of rust was building up where the pivot points are and binding....making the creaking noise.

If you move back then forward and you hear a clunk it is normal. It will sometimes do it even when torqued. reason behind it is there is a grove that the rear brake caliber sits in and it is a tad bit bigger then a perfect fit so it is possible to get brake bracket in. when you move back it set down. then when you move forward it moves that little bit forward to set in it up position and that is where you hear the noise.
I have a calibrated Snap-on torque wrench and have torqued the rear axle to factory specs. Sometimes it makes it and sometimes it does not depending on how cold or hot it is outside.

Gem rod

Looks like the same caliper as fitted to my old 2009 CBF600. I presume that greasing the sliders is necessary on this caliper?

Levi

I have this same noise going on. What was the fix?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk