Rabbitman109's HID Projector Retrofit Install

So I started with the wiring harness tonight. Lifted the tank and removed the airbox (still stock) and stuck the relay and harness under there (thanks MotoZen!). Was able to get the aibox back on there without any issue.

Ran the wires out of the right side opening.

Ran the wire on the right side of the bike, towards the back, you can see the uncut zip ties holding it in place.

Ran the wire under the tank mount...

Going to mount the ballast and finish it up tomorrow. Figured while I was out there, I'd setup the bags I got over the winter...

I really need to give her a wash...

Question for the guys that have this and LED turns signals as well. I have a free connector, think it was for the running light on the stock turn signal. Would I be able to connect the ring connections there?

I also connected everything, just to test it out. Light didn't turn on until I started the bike but would stay on if I killed the engine. Is this normal?

Last edited:

MotoZen

What bags are they, and do you like them?
Yup, your light behavior is normal.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

They are the Bags Connection Blaze saddlebags. Haven't used them yet but they were really easy to install and look easy to use too. Probably take her for a spin with them mounted next week and will get back to you on how they feel/work.

Vhutchinson

So I started with the wiring harness tonight. Lifted the tank and removed the airbox (still stock) and stuck the relay and harness under there (thanks MotoZen!). Was able to get the aibox back on there without any issue.

Ran the wires out of the right side opening.

Ran the wire on the right side of the bike, towards the back, you can see the uncut zip ties holding it in place.

Ran the wire under the tank mount...

Going to mount the ballast and finish it up tomorrow. Figured while I was out there, I'd setup the bags I got over the winter...

I really need to give her a wash...

So you removed the top of the airbox, installed the ballast inside then were able to put the top of the airbox back on and seal it up fairly easily? I am doing an install next week and just trying to figure out the best way

Sent from my SGH-I527M using Tapatalk

So you removed the top of the airbox, installed the ballast inside then were able to put the top of the airbox back on and seal it up fairly easily? I am doing an install next week and just trying to figure out the best way

Sent from my SGH-I527M using Tapatalk

You'll need to take the entire airbox off. Relay and wiring go in there and the ballast is being mounted mounted under the gauges. Unless your airbox is modded, could probably fit it all under there.

fz8bikr

It'd be awesome if you take a pic upon a wall with the HID on dude!! let us see the brightness of that thing.!!! Nice job BTW.!!

Fack! I figured it out. Spliced into the turn signals and it flashes when the signals are on. Fack!

Anyone know which wires I should connect to so they're always on?

Figured it out thanks to Chad. Here's some pics putting the light together. FYI, running hot wire is the single blue/red wire. Took about an hour and a half from first snip to last zip. Not the greatest with wiring.

View attachment 3380

View attachment 3381

View attachment 3382

View attachment 3383

Bent the bracket to connect it to the gauge screw. Got the idea from FFwilson.
View attachment 3384

Mounted.
View attachment 3385

Got the light mounted and went for a spin. Will post more pics later.

Last edited:

Woody146

Banned
Fack! I figured it out. Spliced into the turn signals and it flashes when the signals are on. Fack!

Anyone know which wires I should connect to so they're always on?

That is kinda cool tho...flashing angel eyes (eye in your case) like chad did on his fz1...badass

That is kinda cool tho...flashing angel eyes (eye in your case) like chad did on his fz1...badass

It was pretty cool but would definitely look better with 2 lights. Left turn was the inner ring and right turn was the outer ring. Probably change it back when I get ansty and want something different on the bike.

Here are some shots of it in action. Don't have a pic of the light itself, just one big blur when I tried just now.

Low beam
View attachment 3386

High beam
View attachment 3387

Last edited:

Woody146

Banned
It was pretty cool but would definitely look better with 2 lights. Left turn was the inner ring and right turn was the outer ring. Probably change it back when I get ansty and want something different on the bike.

Here are some shots of it in action. Don't have a pic of the light itself, just one big blur when I tried just now.

Low beam
View attachment 3386

High beam
View attachment 3387

Looks good! Pattern looks just like mine and AHR did the retrofit

HeresMyMind

yeah the bulb isnt seated correctly. its not that the cutoff isnt flat, it is "smiling" and the hotspot from the bulb is about 1ft to the left instead of centered, really simple fix.

The front looks amazing!

-B

HeresMyMind

Here is where the hotspot is: Black oval, and where it should be, Orange oval. This will make for a better distribution of light, a cripser cutoff line with a nicer blue band, and a better highbeam. just preposition the bulb.

-B

VaderFZ8

Figured it out thanks to Chad. Here's some pics putting the light together. FYI, running hot wire is the single blue/red wire. Took about an hour and a half from first snip to last zip. Not the greatest with wiring.

View attachment 3380

View attachment 3381

View attachment 3382

View attachment 3383

Bent the bracket to connect it to the gauge screw. Got the idea from FFwilson.
View attachment 3384

Mounted.
View attachment 3385

Got the light mounted and went for a spin. Will post more pics later.

Oh man awesome I gotta put my ballast does it clear everything pretty good had mines under my modded air box pretty sure it must of disrupted the airflow a good amount