R1 shock with Satan666's adapter

D

Deleted member 438

Here is the link that gives the background on Satan666's R1 shock adapter for the FZ1. The info we are looking for starts on post 107.
R1 rear shock installation - Page 6 - FZ1OA Message Board
Hypo gets the credit for the hosting and resizing of the pics. Thanks Hypo!!!

Here's the adapter installed (sorry, didn't take a pic with it off of the bike).

This is the piece that I had to cut off of the regulator bracket.

This pic shows the the cut piece and the new hole that I had to drill to reposition the regulator.

A close up of the new hole.

Here it is all buttoned up.

D

Deleted member 438

This is a conversation I had with Camo that gives you some more info.
Dr_Doom said:
Camo said:
Dr_Doom said:
Camo said:
Dr_Doom said:
Camo said:
Dr_Doom said:
The info you need starts on post 107 of this thread: http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...t=77716&page=6
The adapter was $95 and the 06 r1 shock was about $75 from ebay. If you are interested I can give you satan666's email address so that you don't have register to that forum. Also, if you decide to do it I can give you a step by step on the extra work required on our bike. It was just cutting a piece off of the regulator rectifier bracket, drilling an extra hole in it, and repositioning the RR.
Thanks mate. I can't get that link to work for some reason?
It sounds like what I'm looking for. I was just after a cost effective way of improving the spongy stock suspension.
Has it changed your ride height or the feel of your bike?

Ride height stays the same, all you get is an improved shock for very little dough.
Thanks for the link and info. I got some time today to have a read through that thread and I gotta say I'm a little lost.
So, Satans adapter, an r1 shock from the years '04 onwards and some minor moding of our bike somewhere and this will be substantial for people up to 225lbs?

Basically, it will be a nice improvement over stock. If you find that the R1 shock is inadequate, you can have that re-sprung and re-valved. It will still be way less expensive than the after market options out there. The 04-08 R1 shocks will work with our bike and this adapter. The 04-06 is preload, compression, and rebound adjustable while the 07-08 adds low speed and high speed dampening. Ride height can be changed by using the r1 dogbone. 04-06 +45mm and 07-08 gives you +75mm. I left the stock dogbone as to not upset the handling.

Perfect! That simplified it for my less then impressive mind haha..Thanks again.
Now I may just have to look into costing everything up and see where I'm at.
I'm around 240-255lbs so I'm no jockey, reprung and revalved maybe the only way for me to make this work?
And I'm not interested in changing the ride height either so the stock dogbone can definitely stay.

Sorry to be a pest but I'm also wondering what tools you'd need to get the job done?
I'm definitely not what you'd call a DIY kinda guy but it sounds fairly straight forwards as long as you have the right gear for the job.

Stands, a basic socket set w/ extensions, a mallet to pound the adapter in. All of this takes care of the shock and adapter install. To modify the regulator bracket you'll need a hacksaw or dremel w/ a cutting wheel, and a drill bit to make the new hole to pivot the regulator out of the way.
Send me your email add and I can send you pics.

H

Hoover

Great thread. Let's have some feedback on the difference when you can.

D

Deleted member 438

I only rode around the block a few times and then to where the bike is stored for the winter after I did the install. It feels a whole lot more comfortable. On the stock unit I had to give it two more clicks of preload because it was extremely wallow, but after adding the preload it felt like it was going to kick me off on some bumps. This new r1 unit is a lot more balanced. No more wallow and no more kick me off sensation.

Fz2fast4u

Does it feel a lot stiffer? I'm like 220 do probably could use a little stiffer.

On a side note thanks for the map it feels good. Haven't really abused it it's been to cold but can def feel more bottom end with the full exhaust, air cleaner and pc5.

Depending on the weather I may try to get the bike dynoed and tuned mon. If I do I'll let you know and send you the map.

D

Deleted member 438

Does it feel a lot stiffer? I'm like 220 do probably could use a little stiffer.

On a side note thanks for the map it feels good. Haven't really abused it it's been to cold but can def feel more bottom end with the full exhaust, air cleaner and pc5.

Depending on the weather I may try to get the bike dynoed and tuned mon. If I do I'll let you know and send you the map.

It's stiffer without being uncomfortable. That'll be awesome if you can have the bike tuned on Monday. I am actually planning on doing mine the following week if the weather cooperates.

C

Camo

Much appreciated Dr Doom, thanks for doing that.
I think it'll be the cheap solution I was looking for providing Satan is still doing the brackets.
Plus I think I'll buy a stronger spring better suited to my fat ass lol.

D

Deleted member 438

I sent satan666 the link to this thread and I found out he's working on another run of adapters. He'll come on here and help us out in case I missed any details on this mod.

Fz2fast4u

So I'm guessing g once this bracket is made its all pretty much plug and play? Just wondering what would the bike ride like If the front wasn't done also and just having a stiff rear and a soft front

Once the back side is done we can concentraight on the front, but I got to start someware. I weigh in at about 215lbs and I have the shock at the highest setting.

C

Camo

Bump..bump!

Hey did anyone else chase this up and get the adapter and R1 shock?

TeleRob

I went over to the other forum and sent him a PM. He wrote back and said he had 2 left. One left now ;-)

I also picked up an 06 shock for $65 on eBay. The 07 are kind of questionable and without the Clevis brackets and nut which would cost another $33 from a Yami dealer.

C

Camo

I spoke to him the other day and he was saying he's coming up with a version 4.1 that will use the '09 R1 shock and it should bolt straight in w/o cutting or modding anything...90 odd day wait though.
I'm going to see if I can hold out till 4.1 is ready for shipping. If not, I'll be blowing money up a brand new Nitron or Penske lol.

Satan666

Engineer's Revenge

Did a comparison of the R1 Shocks from '04 thru '12. There are 3 different series: '04-'06, '07-'08 and '09-'12.

The stock FZ8 shock is 320mm eye-eye centerline. The R1 '04 thru '08 is 302mm. The '09-'12 R1 is 295mm.

My Version 3 adapter uses the FZ8 frame eyes and allows the '04-'08 R1 shock to be mounted reservoir forward. It makes up the 18mm length difference by using the R1 clevis behind and lower than the stock bolt position. It changes the angle of the shock somewhat. This compensates for the difference in travel and spring rate from the stock FZ8.

Because the top of the shock is further to the rear, the regulator mounting must be trimmed for clearance. This is illustrated in the last photo in Dr_Doom's post #1.

The '09 & later R1 shock is quite different than the earlier models (see the attached photo). The reservoir is larger, positioned higher and further away from the shock eye. In effect, that would require placing the eye approximately 25mm further away from the frame if it were mounted reservoir forward. Also, it would need to be an additional 7mm down to keep the stock ride height.

I have concluded that a completely different adapter is required for the later shock. The upper shock eye is 32mm wide as opposed to 30mm for the earlier shocks. In addition, the clevis post is 16mm where the earlier clevis is only 14mm.

I am considering an adapter design which will place the shock in the same plane as stock with the reservoir facing the rear. It is likely that using the '09 and later shock, the regulator mounting would still require modification with the possibility that the regulator would need additional repositioning. Given that shock has somewhat less travel, having the correct spring rate becomes more of an issue.

In any case, I still have a couple of V3 adapters left for the '04 thru '08 series. PM for info.

D

Deleted member 438

First ride report:
I also sorted out the front suspension and now the bike feels amazing---there's no more wallowing or diving from the front end. I also raised the forks 5mm in the trees, and I didn't notice any instability out on the ride. I can't wait to do a track day now.