R1 Shock Adapter Version 4

Satan666

For those that might have interest, I do have a few adapters left from the 1st run. So far, here is the pertinent info:

The R1 spring rate is less in comparison to the stock FZ8. The '04-'06 spring works good for riders up to 190# and the '07-'08 to 220#. If you are at the top of the ramp for preload or if the R1 spring feels too soft, you may need a slightly stronger (R1) spring.

Third, because of engineering constraints, the R1 shock is positioned about 11mm downwards from the otherwise 'stock' height with the FZ8 shock.

This may raise the rear of the bike up to 22mm-3/4" (2x ratio) more or less depending on the preload adjustment. It may be a wash considering the rider's weight, the higher rate of the FZ8 spring and the ride height at stock preload.

Raising the rear slightly increases turn-in and gives less inhibition to handlebar oscillation at very high speeds without a steering damper. My personal opinion is the FZ8 benefits from the increased turn-in.

The steering angle change can be lessened by raising the front of the bike slightly (5-10mm) by lowering the fork tubes in the triples. This however raises the bike in relation to the rider's seat. Short-legged riders be advised.

The height difference can also be compensated for by decreasing spring preload. This would only work if the overall shock/spring travel would not start to exceed maximum over rough pavement or high-speed turns. In that case, a stronger R1 spring is required.

The new version adapter fits the '04-'08 R1 Shock with the reservoir facing to the rear. I do not yet have confirmation that the FZ8 voltage regulator tray requires modification to allow the shock to fit. If you have an FZ8, are a good mechanic and can take digital pictures, I will make you a deal.

For those of you wondering 'why should someone use an R1 shock?'
1.) The R1 shock is a superior piece of engineering and alloy compared to the FZ8.
2.) The lower spring rate takes the 'butt bump' out of tar strips.
3.) It is adjustable for both compression and rebound.
4.) It looks really cool
5.) It can be fleabayed for $50-$75

Here are pics of the Production run 1 adapter. P.M. for purchase info.

ramrod

Just purchased adapter and rear shock, I'll take some pics and post if I need to relocate the voltage regulator tray. Thinking about disassembling shock and spray painting or powder coating spring, thoughts?

Looking forward to some New Year installs:

- Driven Rear sets
- BMC Air Filter
- R1 Rear Shock

Mansack

Question: Not taking price into consideration, which would be better for our FZ8 for a 205 lb rider? A '07-'08 R1 shock, or an Ohlins S46DR1 (sprung to my weight of course). The ohlins does not have compression adjustibility, rebound only (the $1000 one has both, but that's not being even considered).

Satan666

BTW?

Question: Not taking price into consideration, which would be better for our FZ8 for a 205 lb rider? A '07-'08 R1 shock, or an Ohlins S46DR1 (sprung to my weight of course). The ohlins does not have compression adjustibility, rebound only (the $1000 one has both, but that's not being even considered).

What constitutes 'better'? Both the R1 and the 'street' Ohlins are significantly 'better' than stock. A shock that is 'sprung to my weight' is better than one that is not. Arguably, the R1 shock with both compression and rebound adjustment is better than one with only rebound; however, it requires an adapter for the FZ8. New vs. used constitutes a psychological 'better'.

In the scheme of things, better depends on the type of riding you do. If you rarely push the limits of traction (by conscious decision rather than misjudgement), there are few value-metrics (other than $$$) to define 'better' between your self-imposed choices. If you look at your rear tire and see balled rubber across the entire surface . . .

In my mind, spending less than $200 for a significant upgrade is definitely a 'better'.

beefcake morris

I love the upgraded R1 shock. I was actually able to buy both the shock and adapter from you, which made it super easy. I was very thankful for the upgrade when I wento Deals Gap.