Question R1 cam swap

Furor Deus

I have read a few times that an R1 cam swap is a viable way to increase power of the fz8. Can anyone lead me in the right direction for all of the parts i would need to pick up for it to work successfully?

titituono

you should buy from A 2007 2008 R1 (4 valves engine) the 2 camshafts with their sprockets, the chain and the crankshaft sprocket.
in addition it is recommended to degree the camshafts therefore you should be equipped with a dial gage to measure the TDC and the valve max opening. Check on internet the YEC technical letter N°1 there they are some intstruction given to apprpriately degree the camshafts.

On my side I have performed the mod and:
for sure it is most powerfull but the max torque depends on haow your degree your cams (105 mid range, 110 high end)
when you install the new camshafts, it is necessary to adjust the valve clearance and the difference between the cams is "so" important, that you need to proceed in 2 steps, the first with thicker shims (for ex 196 with the old cams and 340 with new one)
now the last point is even if I have ridden my bike with the new cams, I have an issue. there is a quite important rattling noise approx between 4000 to 7000 RPM with nothing below nor above. And the point is that I do not know yet the origine of this noise (do not think is an improper timing....)

titituono

I am checking the diffference between the valve spring rate of those bikes FZ8 / R1 07. That may explain my noise because FZ8 spring are really weak compared to the R1. In addition if your bike is not a brand new one some fatigue wear my also reduce teh stiffness further...

titituono

I have made some comparison concerning the valves spring rate between some yamaha bikes (R6, R1, FZ8, FZ1) and the conclusion is quite clear all the sports bike have really more stiif spring (up to 2 times more).
For sure the RPM are note the same but well I do think that the cam shape may necessitate to install stiffer springs... But I am not the designer so it just assumptions :)

titituono

So concerning my bike , last sunday I have made the revert swap (back to original cams , sprockets, chain) and no more strange noise....
So I have not diagnose exactly from where the issue was coming but thing twice before considering that mod. :)