Potential FZ8 Owner (UK)

legend139

Hi guys,

New to the forum but have been looking around the forum for a while trying to get a taste for the FZ8 prior to looking..

Potentially looking at a Yamaha FZ8 2012 next Saturday, currently has 4500 miles and only had its first initial service at 600 miles.

Not too concerned about that tbh, I'll just double oil drop when I get it, if I get it.

Any way I searched the registration and it came up as a Yamaha FZ8 50th anniversary or something along those lines made 2011+

Can anyone shine some light on this?

Also anything I should look out for in an FZ8 and what are the common problems?

Thanks and much appreciated

Connor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ferret

I have a 2011 fz8 and the biggest issue is the crap suspension especially the rear shock , it behaves like a pogo stick & the forks dive far too much if heat braking is needed . IMHO Yamaha should have used a linked brake set up like Honda did on the cbf as this made a more balanced effect when under load . Suspension mods are first on my hit list followed by an ecu re flash then when chain and sprockets need replacing I will add 2 teeth to the rear and maybe -1 on the front .

Umyaya

Buy the Ohlins Adreani package comes with front internals and rear shock set up to your wright for 1k. Or do a fz1 intErnal swap and fz1 shock for less.

Joseps

I bought a year ago an Ohlinks kit for mine: emulsion shock + springs & oil for the forks, not bat, but way too stiff for me, the bike has lost part of that balance and comfort that I loved for the shitty roads I use to ride. In perfect tarmac is great, tough.

The main reason to do the change was that reaching 40k miles the rear shock was in a noticeable pretty bad shape, and becoming unable to hold steady in some cornering. Prior to that problems I was very satisfied with how it worked, even with the lack of adjustment of my '12 model, or the poor quality of that rear shock. I really miss that capacity of swallowing bumps and cracks that now is partly gone.

In my old FZ6 had a WP 4014 emulsion shock, and even lacking rear linkage arms (sorry if a miss the proper word, out of vocabulary here) in the rear suspension, for me had a much better feeling for street ride than this Ohlins, comfy but giving tons of grip when you twisted the wrist. Man, I loved that shock a lot. The FZ8 with the articulate linkage and that one could have been perfect, may be even with the original fork springs but adding an small spacer to nail the sag distances... :rolleyes:

Well, at least the Ohlins kit was not too expensive: 610€ shipping included from Italy to Spain.

Regarding the ECU reflash may be is my next upgrade when I put together some money to spend. The only real flaw for me in this bike is the gentleness of the engine, with that flat way of deliver power. Compared with my old FZ6 (that spike at the top end of the rpm counter was hilarious), or a new MT09, for example, this one is no spicy at all. If that can be improved flashing I sure could keep going with this beauty for a very long time. Well, as soon as I fix my engine trouble light + error 43 x'D

... speaking of which, and answering the OP: with that low mileage should be no problem at all, but in UK (or any other wet or near to the sea area) I suggest to look for corrosion in the terminals of the Multy function Relay, and Start relay, both of them are mounted very close and under the rider seat, behind the battery, in the left side hiding a bit under the plastic. Just unplug the connectors and see, looking for something like this:

That's the easy to spot but the real problem was in the multi-relay, where even one pin in the connector was corroded to the point it cracked, but, important: I've ride a lot raining, and in winter with salt, so this shouldn't be a common issue or to be worried about, just something to check.

Joseps

I bought a year ago an Ohlinks kit for mine: emulsion shock + springs & oil for the forks, not bat, but way too stiff for me, the bike has lost part of that balance and comfort that I loved for the shitty roads I use to ride. In perfect tarmac is great, tough.

The main reason to do the change was that reaching 40k miles the rear shock was in a noticeable pretty bad shape, and becoming unable to hold steady in some cornering. Prior to that problems I was very satisfied with how it worked, even with the lack of adjustment of my '12 model, or the poor quality of that rear shock. I really miss that capacity of swallowing bumps and cracks that now is partly gone.

In my old FZ6 had a WP 4014 emulsion shock, and even lacking rear linkage arms (sorry if a miss the proper word, out of vocabulary here) in the rear suspension, for me had a much better feeling for street ride than this Ohlins, comfy but giving tons of grip when you twisted the wrist. Man, I loved that shock a lot. The FZ8 with the articulate linkage and that one could have been perfect, may be even with the original fork springs but adding an small spacer to nail the sag distances... :rolleyes:

Well, at least the Ohlins kit was not too expensive: 610€ shipping included from Italy to Spain.

Regarding the ECU reflash may be is my next upgrade when I put together some money to spend. The only real flaw for me in this bike is the gentleness of the engine, with that flat way of deliver power. Compared with my old FZ6 (that spike at the top end of the rpm counter was hilarious), or a new MT09, for example, this one is no spicy at all. If that can be improved flashing I sure could keep going with this beauty for a very long time. Well, as soon as I fix my engine trouble light + error 43 x'D

... speaking of which, and answering the OP: with that low mileage should be no problem at all, but in UK (or any other wet or near to the sea area) I suggest to look for corrosion in the terminals of the Multi function Relay, and Start relay, both of them are mounted very close and under the rider seat, behind the battery, in the left side hiding a bit under the plastic. Just unplug the connectors and see, looking for something like this:

That's the easy to spot but the real problem was in the multi-relay, where even one pin in the connector was corroded to the point it cracked, but, important: I've ride a lot raining, and in winter with salt, so this shouldn't be a common issue or to be worried about, just something to check.

IanLeMasters

Nothing to be worried about. Great bike. 40k miles and still going like a champ. 13 model has adjustable suspension. Not great but better than prev years.