Please help me nip it in the bud.

cambo

Avid Rider
Anybody have a powerpoint presentation handy of grotesque crash images that I can view periodically to remind myself of the importance of wearing gear? or even stories you might care to share?

I'm becoming more and more squiddy and I hate it. But I can't stop it. What started as quick quarter mile shots to the corner 7-11 in minimal gear...has turned into full blown 80 mile highway commutes to work...in a helmet and gloves as the only protective gear I'm bothering to put on.

This needs to stop. I just got done talking about the mature rider's ability to weigh consequences but I'm obviously failing at it lately. I may be 30 but I feel like I've got the riding mentality of a 16 year old now right now.

How do I get out of this mindset??

socal

saw a kid maybe 18 yesterday on my way home. ridding a dirtbike on the street with a t shirt and shorts. i was on the otherside of the road and saw him lean in hard get scared and hit the brakes. i could see the rash before i could stop to help from 4 lanes away

Bajaedition

just this
I was around 23 and it was a time I decided to wear full gear
we were slowing down for a stop light that turned green, we all started to accelerate and I looked into my mirror to see if I could pass, the car in front with no brake lights decided to turn into a Burger king.
the volkswagon behind it rearended it, I ended up half way into the rear window of the volkswagon and then back out and did around 75 feet down the curb.
my only injuries were a very bad bruise on my chest and when I took my glove off my pinky was bleeding real bad and the nail was missing
my bike was wadded up so bad I knew it was a total
now
Hod I not had on gear, I would probably broke both collar bones and lost a finger or two, plus rash rash city .

take it from there

no here is another
it was over 100 degrees and I pulled into a gas station, took off the full face lid and gloves and unzipped the flow thru textile jacket with armor.
Across the lane was a harley and the guy told his pillion partner that if he had to dress like that he would not ride.

He filled up before me and while getting on the street put it down at about 15 mph, the poor girl got her leg, she was in shorts, caught between the bike and the street, when we lifted the bike you could see that she would never have beautiful legs again. The guys fingers were mangled from where they hit street, fingerless gloves, and his ankles were bleeding bad.

He thanked me for getting the bike off his pillion partner and admitted he wished he had gear on. the girl was taken to the hospital in the ambulance bawling at the top of her lungs about the road rash on her leg.

and that was 15 MPH

DanS

Commuter
I know how you feel cambo. It's an easy habit to get into and a hard habit to break, it feels great! It's freedom! Whatever you do never ever go without a helmet cause that hot heavy sonofabithc is very hard to put back on. AGATT ...Google - images and type motorcycle road rash.

good dog

In the 80's I worked at a motorcycle dealership, I was the parts manager and interacted with our customers daily. I was also a early ATGATT user.

During a sweltering hot week by our regions standards, a young couple came in wearing shorts, running shoes, tank tops, no gloves but full face helmets. Another customer came in shortly there after wearing jeans, work-boots and a leather jacket and gloves, full face helmet. The lightly dressed rider commented something like 'dude, you gotta be crazy to dress like that, it's gotta be close to a hundred, you're going to collapse of heat stroke. The ATGATT rider took off his jacket and lifted his shirt revealing plenty of scar tissue and apparent skin grafts which he said ran from his ankle to his arms shoulder, stomach and back. He commented it happened when he was riding like 'you' in shorts and a t-shirt and someone cut him off and down he slid. Two months of recuperating and he was still sore to touch, he commented. The guys girlfriend in the shorts and t-shirt puked and started crying at the sight of his injuries, didn't want to ride home with her boyfriend. She was shaking, I think someone came and pick her up in a car.

How's that?

Last edited:

n00b

Avid Rider
My wife's uncle has a completely messed up face from a bike accident. Reminder enough for me.

socal

I know how you feel cambo. It's an easy habit to get into and a hard habit to break, it feels great! It's freedom! Whatever you do never ever go without a helmet cause that hot heavy sonofabithc is very hard to put back on. AGATT ...Google - images and type motorcycle road rash.

yea i always protect the lid especially, cause that's how i make my money

9 Lives

There is only one person that's going to convince you to wear the safety gear, you look at him every morning in the mirror. What you wear is up to you, your the one who is going to suffer the consequences if you wipe out.

Last edited:

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
Anybody have a powerpoint presentation handy of grotesque crash images that I can view periodically to remind myself of the importance of wearing gear? or even stories you might care to share?

I'm becoming more and more squiddy and I hate it. But I can't stop it. What started as quick quarter mile shots to the corner 7-11 in minimal gear...has turned into full blown 80 mile highway commutes to work...in a helmet and gloves as the only protective gear I'm bothering to put on.

This needs to stop. I just got done talking about the mature rider's ability to weigh consequences but I'm obviously failing at it lately. I may be 30 but I feel like I've got the riding mentality of a 16 year old now right now.

How do I get out of this mindset??

Take control, man! Your momma don't live there any more.

cambo

Avid Rider
appreciate the advice/stories fellas...haha, need to stop being a lazy ass and just throw the damn gear on. My fat ass needs to sweat anyway.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwYIad_ms-c"]Crash - YouTube[/ame]

If that isn't enough for you, there is always Brittany Morrow.

http://www.rockthegear.org/index.php?/testimonials/view/brittany_morrow_the_roadrash_queen/

I walked away from two accidents the second could have been fatal, but with gear, I only had a sore shoulder. That is all the reason that I need. No reason not to wear it, because if you prepare for the weather, wearing gear isn't that big of a deal.

Last edited:

tiki

I've only lowsided at about 35 on my ninja 650. I slid maybe 20 or 30 feet down the road and since I had full gear on, I walked away with no injuries

RoadKill

Crash - YouTube

If that isn't enough for you, there is always Brittany Morrow.

I walked away from two accidents the second could have been fatal, but with gear, I only had a sore shoulder. That is all the reason that I need. No reason not to wear it, because if you prepare for the weather, wearing gear isn't that big of a deal.

wow, watching the video it looks like the bike just flops over for no reason at all.
like some invisible giant just smacks the crap out of the rider and his bike.

thach1130

Here's a video of an FZ8 if you need to feel related. I have the same helmet this guy do.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swnIy122nH8]FZ8 Low Sided - YouTube[/ame]

cambo

Avid Rider
holy shit what the hell happened? that was painful to watch!

EDIT: he accelerated hard on top of road debris

Emohawk

I put my 550 Nighthawk down (low side) when I was 18. I was wearing a jacket but no tie downs, pants or kidney protection. The jacket rode up & the pavement sawed through my jeans. You can still see a hint of the road rash scar on my left hip & knee. I'm 44 now. I was doing less than 50 kph when it happened. Never forgot it. First thing I did when I got back into riding a few years back was get good boots, pants, gloves & jacket to go along with a quality full-faced lid.

cambo

Avid Rider
That's it I'm investing in some good pants now. I mean I've got kevlar jeans but I'm getting some bullet proof shit now.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
wow, watching the video it looks like the bike just flops over for no reason at all.
like some invisible giant just smacks the crap out of the rider and his bike.

It was a clearance issue. If you listen just before it goes down, you can hear the pipes scraping. We didn't know that the pipes were lower than the footpeg. Pipes don't give. I called Vance & Hines and they refused to believe they had a design flaw. Pissed me off, but I got my FZ1 out of the deal.

It was a clearance issue. If you listen just before it goes down, you can hear the pipes scraping. We didn't know that the pipes were lower than the footpeg. Pipes don't give. I called Vance & Hines and they refused to believe they had a design flaw. Pissed me off, but I got my FZ1 out of the deal.

if you dont mind me asking how did you get a fz1 out of it??

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
if you dont mind me asking how did you get a fz1 out of it??

Totalled my wife's VN 900, and that gave me most of the cash for the FZ1. It has been paid off for a while. Nice having a bike that is paid off, and less than 1000 miles on it.

Sent from my Transform Ultra using Tapatalk 2