Phoenix Area?

mckshred

The longest ride I put in on one day was the Scottsdale - Prescott Valley - Prescott - Wickenburg - Scottsdale.
Hey how do you feel on long rides with the naked bike? The little wind protection I get seems to help in regard to comfort and fatigue. I was thinking of turning my Fz1 to a streetfighter but am hesitant because of the loss of that tiny bit of windscreen.

My longest day ride was the Scottsdale - Prescott - Jerome / Cottonwood - Camp Verde - Payson - Scottsdale. I think it was around 380 miles and just under 8 hours.
For pants, I use these from Leathup,com. Ran $69 on sale last summer. I don't wear jeans underneath, as they have a nice lining on the inside. I've worn them on 40 degree to +100 degree days. They get warm on the hot days, but what doesn't.

As for the naked bike opinion, The wind does hit you pretty well, but I have gotten used to it. I have the small Givi windscreen, which helps a lot considering the small size. You can lean into it and lower your body position for more protection. I sure wouldn't mind a little more protection, as long it doesn't trash the looks of the FZ8.

My original Seca 750 had the Yamaha 'cafe' fairing and it was a little bigger than the current Givi. I wish there was a similar good looking option for the FZ8.

Last edited:

shredz87

I am in the glendale area, i have 7 years of sport riding experience, I usually go to prescott the back way or down to tucson to hit mt lemmon. I have a 2012 Fz8

firstgendsm

First post.....Chandler area ride everyday to down town....only had for 2 weeks and already broke in , first old change today. Love this bike!

ssky0078

Hi guys, I'm probably going to do a fountain hills - payson - camp verde - back to phoenix ride on the 27th if anyone is interested. PM me and I can send you my number and email to help coordinate.

So far it's an Fz6 rider I know and his friend. Probably won't be at too crazy of a pace as we are all relatively new riders. I'm also still a little gun shy after two offs in two months. I did this ride before and when I got done I had less than a finger width of chicken strip on my Fz6. But, the Fz1 is a whole new beast and I still dont' have the suspensin dialed in just yet.

Typical group ride rules of go at your own pace, make sure everyone knows the meetup locations along the route and call/text another group rider if something happens to you along the way or you stop and help someone so that the group knows what's up.

ssky0078

I am in the glendale area, i have 7 years of sport riding experience, I usually go to prescott the back way or down to tucson to hit mt lemmon. I have a 2012 Fz8

Next time you do Mt. Lemon let me know. I have been wanting to do that ride, but have heard there is still snow/ice on the road.

ssky0078

No worries. I'm gonna go to bike week when I get back in to town.

I plan on going to Mr. Lemmon on April 27th if anybody is interested. Meet in east Mesa go to superior and the cut down. Meet any Tucson people along the way

F3NIX

Made the Wickenburg, Congress, Yarnell, Prescott trip last weekend. 200 miles of pure fun. Well except for the speeding ticket on my way through the twisties!

I would love to do that trip with some other FZs....anyone interested?

Sent from my phone

F3NIX

Sounds good man. Let me know when your game. I am going to run up to Jerome this Sat morning. That should be alot of fun. Would be cool to get some others together for some rides this fall.

Btw- Im going to setup my camera for this trip ill post a video with some of the trip :)

desertdude

Im out here in Goodyear. Got a favor to ask to someone with a 2011 FZ8 with stock exhaust. I burned a hole in my brand new saddlebags from the Yoshimura pipe and wanted to fit them to bike with stock exhaust to see if it would of made a difference. I wanted to send some pictures to the manufacturer and they might blame it on the pipe. I can come to you or whatever. Let me know.

Heres the thread I started about the bags and what they look like before and after the burn.

http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-mods/3373-bags-connection-set-up-w-pics.html

Primo87

I'm heading out to Phoenix near the beginning of the year. How's the riding out there? Google makes it seam like the Tonto National Forest has some good twisties.

ssky0078

The spars (just south of Prescott) resurfacing job is awesome. I was up there yesterday and it was the best it's been in years. Makes me wonder why they do it right before winter but whatever.

Here are some good routes, but like it was said you are generally spending 30 minutes to an hour to get to them.

Fountain Hills - Payson - Camp Verde
View attachment 2746

Scottsdale - Wilhoit - Prescott - Scottsdale (The awesomeness is the section called the Spars, Wilhoit to Prescott)
View attachment 2747View attachment 2749

Scottsdale - Payson - Sedona - Flaggstaff
View attachment 2748

F3NIX

Im not sure im ready for the flagstaff run, but I can personally vouche for the "spars" - that run is awesome. We need to get a group ride together soon :)

Sent from my phone