Phoenix Area?

mckshred

Phoenix area

I am also in the Phx Metro area. Got my FZ8 in November 2011, still searching for good routes around the outskirts of the valley.

I am heading north this week-end (7/4-7/8) up to Prescott via Wickenburg - about 140 miles each way.

Let me know if you want to ride along.

V

Vapordan

Welcome, seems like grass is at a premium out yonder, eh?

Chipskip

Looking to get a FZ8 within the next year.

I currently get out and ride a buddy's Speed Triple every couple of weeks.

V

Vapordan

Looking to get a FZ8 within the next year.

I currently get out and ride a buddy's Speed Triple every couple of weeks.

So you're on here torturing yourself? Must be self medicating eh! Gonna be a loooonnnnngggg year

Chipskip

So you're on here torturing yourself? Must be self medicating eh! Gonna be a loooonnnnngggg year

I am a gluten for punishment.

The wife is working on getting us out of debt, need to wait on a bike until that is done. I hate being a responsible adult! :hbwall:

V

Vapordan

The wife is working on getting us out of debt

:D Money problems causes all kinds of shit (I've heard it even causes cancer!!!). She's headed in the right direction, though its painfully, you all will be better for it. Ask me how I know...

mckshred

Local Area Rides

Hey guys, I wanted to provide some info for local ride routes on the forum. Hope this is the correct thread. I know there are numerous websites that have this info, but these are routes I've have personally ridden. I'm covering routes from the Valley, doable in the same day (avoiding I-17) without killing me, max of 375-400 miles and 8 hours max seat time.

I'll add/update as I can. Not in any special order:

Saguaro Lake Loop - 60 miles
Up 87/Beeline Hwy North to Bush Hwy then South West. The Beeline Hwy is 4 lanes (2 each way) and can carry a lot of traffic. Traffic seems to move at a pretty good clip, so keep your wits. As you head South West there is nice scenery along Bush Highway with good road surface. There are a few twists and turns as you pass the Lake. Lots of PoPo too, especially near the Lake turn in so dial it down a notch thru there.
When you hit the Stop sign, you can continue straight on Bush Hwy along the Salt River or go left up Usary Pass Road. UPR is silky smooth pavement and has a few turns in the short span, but is usually anchored with the MCSP so keep your eyes peeled.

Roosevelt Lake Loop - 215 miles
up 87 North past Bush Hwy to AZ 188. Then Southeast toward Globe.
87 is 4 lanes thru a couple small mountain 'passes' and carries an avg speed around 71 for most vehicles on it.

AZ 188 is a 2 lane roadway with decent pavement and nice sweeping wide turns, great visibility, low traffic. You cross a cool suspension bridge near the end. It has good scenery as it runs along the west side of Roosevelt Lake.

From Globe take 60 west to Gold Camp and travel thru the Salt River Canyon. Salt River Canyon is very scenic with lots of turns, but unfortunately, lots of traffic, so go early. It's still a cool route.

Prescott Out & Back - 270 miles
AZ-74 to Wickenburg is 1 lane each way, semi rough road. Not too much traffic, but the occasional trooper near Bartlett Lake turnoff.

At Wickenburg, continue to AZ-93 then to AZ-89 to Prescott. Pretty flat and wide open valley views thru the People's Valley. Once you hit Yarnell Hill and start climbing, the twisties start. Be alert, there is almost always a Trooper sitting high on the hill that will radio ahead to another Trooper waiting ahead. I've been told they use a timer (since visibility is not ideal for their radar) to measure your speed. So either stop 1/2 way up the hill and take a break or stay alert. Once passed Yarnell Hill climb, it opens up for about 15-20 miles. Then from Wilhoit to Prescott it's lined with trees, has sweet pavement and smooth twists and turns. Check out SSKY0078's video (that is the southbound perspective).

Phoenix - Payson - Show Low - Globe Loop - 340 miles
will update soon

Phoenix - Prescott - Jerome - Cottonwood - Campe Verde - Payson - Phoenix Loop - 370 miles
will update soon

Last edited:

ssky0078

Bush Highway - Saguaro Lake - Usery Pass
View attachment 973

Fountain Hills to McDowell Mountain and/or Needle Rock
View attachment 974

Both of these are slow roads 25-45 posted speeds. I would stay within in 10 of them as there is crap/gravel often washed into the road after rains and some corners sneak up on ya :)eek:)

This was my first ride up Bush Highway and back down Usery Pass Rd. It only has a one small section 0:30 to 1:04 from Bush highway.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paqCM53ngCs]Sunday Ride 11 25 12 - YouTube[/ame]

ssky0078

\

Saguaro Lake Loop - 60 miles
Up 87/Beeline Hwy North to Bush Hwy then southwest. The Beeline Hwy is 4 lanes (2 each way) and can carry a lot of traffic. Traffic seems to move at a pretty good clip, so keep your wits. As you head SouthWest there is nice scenery along Bush Highway with good road surface. There are a few twists and turns as you pass the Lake. Lots of PoPo too, especially near the Lake turn in so dial it down a notch thru there.
When you hit the Stop sign, you can continue straight on Bush Hwy along the Salt River or go left up Usary Pass Road. UPR is silky smooth pavement and has a few turns in the short span, but is usually anchored with the MCSP so keep your eyes peeled.

Roosevelt Lake Loop - 215 miles
up 87 North past Bush Hwy to AZ 188. Then Southeast toward Globe.
87 is 4 lanes thru a couple small mountain 'passes' and carries an avg speed around 71 for most vehicles on it.

AZ 188 is a 2 lane roadway with decent pavement and nice sweeping wide turns, great visibility, low traffic. You cross a cool suspension bridge near the end. It has good scenery as it runs along the west side of Roosevelt Lake.

From Globe take 60 west to Gold Camp and travel thru the Salt River Canyon. Salt River Canyon is very scenic with lots of turns, but unfortunately, lots of traffic, so go early. It's still a cool route.

You know I didn't even think about that AZ188 route up to the Beeline 87. If you time it right the Boyce Thompson Arboretum out in Superior is a pretty cool stop, especially if you feel like a summer night trip, they do star gazing stuff, pretty cool.

I got it mixed up with the AZ88 which you don't want to take on your Fz8. The road is beat to crap, gravel all over the place, groves. There is one small section after tortilla flats before you hit the dirt section that is pretty sweet but it's only like 2 miles and not worth the risk in my opinion. If you have a KLR650, DR650 or F800GS, anything of the dual sport variety I would be romping up and down AZ88 all day long, it would be a blast to go from the twistys on pavement to flying on the dirt road. Apache lake is pretty cool, kind of retro/historic small resort lake.

ssky0078

I have done parts of this ride separately but would think it would be a good combination or split into an overnighter.

Scottsdale to Payson:
2 lanes each way with median, and good pavement all though the occasional rough patch and pit of tire snakes. LOTS OF COPS, speedlimit is 65 and I think at some points at 75 (I could be wrong). Be careful whenever you are coming up on any little towns or pull outs.

Payson to Camp Verde to Sedona:
Payson to Camp Verde is AWESOME, a minor slow down at Strawberry but off and running again. Not many cops but some of the twisty's are pretty big blind corners. Watch for animals and rednecks in pickups with guns.

Sedona to Flagstaff:
Oak Creek Canyon is an amazing ride coming north out of Sedona, Epic is a word that could describe it. Watch out for rocks in the roads near cliff areas. I've wacked a few in my car, never ran into one on the bike. Once you get up to the I-17 again then it is back to freeway boringness

In Flagstaff check out Beaver Street Brewery or the Lumberyard. Good food and beer if you're going to spend the night up there.

View attachment 975

mckshred

I got it mixed up with the AZ88 which you don't want to take on your Fz8. The road is beat to crap, gravel all over the place, groves. There is one small section after tortilla flats before you hit the dirt section that is pretty sweet but it's only like 2 miles and not worth the risk in my opinion. If you have a KLR650, DR650 or F800GS, anything of the dual sport variety I would be romping up and down AZ88 all day long, it would be a blast to go from the twistys on pavement to flying on the dirt road. Apache lake is pretty cool, kind of retro/historic small resort lake.

Agree 100%!! That was my first 'long' ride on my fz8. I thought AZ-88 went thru all the way to Roosevelt lake AZ-188 as pavement, but it turns to dirt right after Tortilla Flats as you said. OK ride to do once, then not likely to repeat on the fz8. Spot on ride with a 'crossover' bike like you say.

Thanks for expanding the topic - adding the maps, vids and more route info. I've got hours of video that I need to edit and post as well. From your videos, it looks like you live right down the street from me. I've got to hit AZ188 south from Alpine Clifton/Safford in a couple months after the melt up there. What's the longest ride you've done in a day on your FZ?

Last edited:

RnR

The closest I came to Arizona was last summer. My wife and I spent a day with a couple from Scottsdale on a Niagara on the Lake wine tour. Looks like a great place.

ssky0078

Agree 100%!! That was my first 'long' ride on my fz8. I thought AZ-88 went thru all the way to Roosevelt lake AZ-188 as pavement, but it turns to dirt right after Tortilla Flats as you said. OK ride to do once, then not likely to repeat on the fz8. Spot on ride with a 'crossover' bike like you say.

Thanks for expanding the topic - adding the maps, vids and more route info. I've got hours of video that I need to edit and post as well. From your videos, it looks like you live right down the street from me. I've got to hit AZ188 south from Alpine Clifton/Safford in a couple months after the melt up there. What's the longest ride you've done in a day on your FZ?

The longest ride I put in on one day was the Scottsdale - Prescott Valley - Prescott - Wickenburg - Scottsdale. I work in Prescott Valley every 2nd or 3rd saturday in a month. I need to get some riding pants or wait till it warms up to do it again though, it's a little too chilly for me right now to do that route.

I really want to go down south and do Mount Lemon. I've heard that is a great ride.
View attachment 976

Hey how do you feel on long rides with the naked bike? The little wind protection I get seems to help in regard to comfort and fatigue. I was thinking of turning my Fz1 to a streetfighter but am hesitant because of the loss of that tiny bit of windscreen.

ssky0078

Here's the other thing to watch out for on that road, Drifters. They love to rip up and down there and especially on the dirt section. They feel like it's their own little rally sport, so if you hear someone pinging their rev limiter with a ricer muffler on, slow down and get ready to dodge somebody flying around a corner. Too be honest I used to take my old jeep cherokee and try to get it sideways on that road, but would stay on my side as much as possible.