PCV map round up.

decooney

Map request

Update:

The Two Brothers PCV map is definitely too rich for my Vance and Hines slip-on and stock DB killer installed. I need something in between the stock and the Two Brothers map. Have not seen the Jumbo map but heard its on the lean side. Would like to find something in between. I could modify the map myself, but would like to reference another known map before I do, and before I head to the Dyno in November.

REQUEST:
Any other maps out there ??? worth trying for:

-Slip-on muffler.
-DB killer installed.
-Mild Air Box Mod
-Factory Air filter installed.

lance2448

Forgot to put my results here.

I have no evidence, only my own suspicions, but the Two Brothers map does seem a bit rich for my bike, but is still running better than it was without the PCV.

Hopefully I'll have the time and cash to have it done by someone who knows what they're doing. I don't mind sharing since we seem to have a similar setup.

decooney

Forgot to put my results here.

I have no evidence, only my own suspicions, but the Two Brothers map does seem a bit rich for my bike, but is still running better than it was without the PCV.

Hopefully I'll have the time and cash to have it done by someone who knows what they're doing. I don't mind sharing since we seem to have a similar setup.

Lance,
Do you have the V&H slip-on muffler and/or air box mod?

After looking at the Two Brothers map, its too rich for my slip-on with DB killer. You can smell the unburned fuel. Riders behind me complain too. Bike flattens out at 5k-6k a bit. After studying the TB map a bit, I don't think I'm going to to use it much longer. I've been doing some testing on my own until I can get to the dyno. Let me know if you end up at the dyno and we can compare maps after. I've got another map I'm using for now until I get to the dyno.

Last edited:

lance2448

I do have the V&H slipon, but I've not experienced anything like that. I've noticed the bike run much better than before, a lot more power, especially in the higher gears. And no more surging at low RPMs either.

The only thing I've noticed is a pretty big reduction in mileage. From low 40s to high 30s. Other than a K&N air filter, I don't have any intake mods either.

I'm going to guess you live at a different elevation or there's something else going on. My bike starts making tons power around 5-6K RPM.

With that said, I probably will still get it put on a dyno at some point. The low mileage worries me a bit.

decooney

Lance,
I'm at 200 to 1200 feet above sea level in my local riding areas, and ride in 50 to 90 degree weather mostly.

I've since learned a bit about the stock optimized 001 fuel map, and the TB slip-on maps while comparing to other maps and related fuel curves. I also created a hybrid split of the two which works nicely. My bike does well at 5500 up too, but I've been working on smoothing out 4k to 6k and looking for a peek of power above 8500. I took the TB map and made some changes in the 40% throttle range and smoothed out the curve in the 20% and 60% range on either side of it. It actually made a notable difference. When I'm done goofing around I'll do the dyno and compare from there to see how close I was.

lance2448

Ahh, just looked at your location lol. I presume you have the California model? Perhaps that's the difference.

I've really only messed with carbs on dirtbikes before, no FI mapping before. Given that this is the vehicle I use most, I'm a bit hesitant to start fiddling with it.

Also, I have a trip planned next week, so I don't want to make any changes and mess anything up before that. Afterwards, I'll likely just find a shop to get it set properly.

decooney

Yes, CA model. With my dirt bike/dual sport its 50-state but in the case of the Yam FZ8, we have CA models only and I confirmed this when the dealer ordered the bikes. How much different the tune is I don't know but it would be interesting to compare to see just how lean the CA models are. Many on this forum say the FZ8 comes rich and the cat conv is used to compensate but I have a strong feeling the CA model bikes come lean based on my own experiences after installing the slip-on, watching engine temp rise some at idle, etc. What I do know is the PCV helped with a moderate fuel adds/cuts.

F3NIX

Anyone have a map tuned for the Yosh r77 and a power commander? I havent done the air intake (Yet) if you recommend it I will take the time to do it. But others I talked to said its not worth it. Any input??

decooney

With these maps is there a decrease in fuel mileage with the added HP and torque? Or with the better mixture of air and fuel does fuel economy increase?

If you leave your airbox alone, keeping the stock filter, you could get away with just using the optimized stock 040-001 map. I did the air box mod and cannot tell you it was worth it. When I install a K&N filter I'll let you know. One of the engineers I spoke to said the dyno test between the stock filter and the K&N was not that much different on the FZ8, but he did not specify if the airbox mod was done or not.