Oil change

HeresMyMind

I prefer Yamaha filters and Mobile 1 race synthetic, you can use a K&N filter. They are found at a local Autozone right next to the Mobile 1 bike oil.You will need 4 quarts of oil,. it takes a bit less than 4 quarts if I remember right.

-B

Mobile 1 Racing 4T 10w-40
K&N 204 oil filter

Blackfin

Just make sure you get motorcycle engine oil designed for use with wet-clutches. Don't use any "energy conserving" oil in your bike. Make sure it's got JASO approvals.

I source my filter at Yamaha. I've used Motul 7100, Rotella T6 5W40 (yes, diesel oil but kick-ass diesel oil that is also wet-clutch friendly...), Motul 5100 etc. Didn't really notice any outward difference between any of them. If you're worried, just have the dealer give you 4 qts of whatever 10W40 oil they have and you'll be good to go.

Make sure you get a new drain plug washer/gasket too...

Bagman

Is this your first oil change after a break-in period, or the one following that? You have a 2011, so I assume it's past the break-in. What mileage on the bike? I would NOT run full synthetic until about 10,000+ kms - which would be about the second or third oil change from the break-in period.

Just use Yamaha's oil filter or the K&N one you'd likely find at any motorcycle shop.

Freedelivery

Is this your first oil change after a break-in period, or the one following that? You have a 2011, so I assume it's past the break-in. What mileage on the bike? I would NOT run full synthetic until about 10,000+ kms - which would be about the second or third oil change from the break-in period.

Just use Yamaha's oil filter or the K&N one you'd likely find at any motorcycle shop.

This is the first oil change I'm doing as the owner of the bike the mileage is a couple hundred over 3000

HeresMyMind

Oil is the biggest debate out there on bike/car forums. besides "which exhaust soundsbest"

The safest route will always be an OEM Filter, and the recommended YAMALUBE from a dealer. you can purchase it online to save some $. Its more important that you are doing the maintenance than the oil type.

-B

Fazer 8

My take is that any oil that meets the minimum requirements as stated by Yamaha is OK. The only real question is whether you want to go with conventional or synthetic oil. If synthetic, in theory you should be able to extend your oil change intervals.

My standby, because it's available at Canadian tire, and fairly reasonably priced, is Castrol Grand Prix 10w40 motorcycle oil (conventional). First oil change I got the oil change kit at my Yamaha dealer. Which was nice for having everything included - oil, crush washer (IIRC), filter, and some gloves to keep your hand clean. A little pricey, though. In the past I've used Mobil 1 full synth, Motul full and sem-synth, Shell Rotella T6, and others. Some may have given a slightly slicker shifting feel than others (high subjective), but otherwise no noticeable distance.

Bagman

This is the first oil change I'm doing as the owner of the bike the mileage is a couple hundred over 3000

So oil change after the break-in is done. Probably no other oil change has been done. I'd run a conventional oil on this change, semi on the next, and then go full synthetic. Really though - just actually change the oil and filter.... that's the most important thing. lol

Keach

A lot of guys (myself included) are fans of the mobile 1 full synthetic. I use a bosch oil filter (3300 is the model number if I remember right). You will need 3 quarts or just a nut hair over depending on the filter you use. Being that it's synthetic I usually only change once a season cause I only put on about 4-5k miles a season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk