New Yamaha FJ-09 - Opinions?

DSmith

Hey guys, just stumbled across the new Yamaha FJ-09. Personally I think its a sharp looking bike and a step in the right direction for Yamaha. I would love to take it for a test ride and see what its all about. I rack up a lot of miles on my FZ8 and who knows.. something more touring friendly might end up in my driveway one day.

What do you guys think?

EICMA: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 revealed - Common Tread - RevZilla

dabner

I'm not loving Yamahas moves...
In my opinion, the FZ-09 is cheap, and I don't mean inexpensive. I haven't gone over it with a fine toothed comb, and basically stopped at the cheap unfinished looking rad. In my opinion they're at risk of losing their reputation of having great fit and finish.
The FJ-09 has too much of a motard look... not my style.
Above all, Yamaha is slowly taking the sportiness out if the naked bikes. Where is there naked street fighter bike????

FZ8inAK

I wrecked my FZ8 two weeks ago. I hit a deer on a back road. Unfortunately, the bike was totaled. I loved that bike. So much fun in the twistys and plenty of power.

But, four days after I wrecked it, i bought the new 2015 FZ-09. I can say that the bike's motor is where they spent all of their time. This motor is head and shoulders above the FZ8. It is stronger and faster and has soooo much torque. But it is not without it's shortcomings. The throttle response at low rpm's is twitchy and the suspension feels like my WR250X. I would disagree that the bike is cheap. The brakes are phenomenal, but the frontend dives too much to have confidence in them.

Once I get stiffer springs and the ECU reflashed, this bike is going to dominate.

The FJ-09 is going to be beat out the other budget touring bikes because of its motor. And it also comes standard with ABS.

Marthy

I don't see anythi g cheap about the FZ09, you're getting a lot og bike for $8K! The whole braking system is R6s (mine updated to 320mm R1s) Engine is a killer and once the suspension is sort out (like most of the bikes out there) this bike will keep up with any 600 SS. You should ask the guy I pass on his R6 @ 140 MPH at the end of the straightway! LOL

FX8AK... quick fix. ZX-10 rear shock and Sonic front spring + 10W oil and bring the oil level up to about 130mm from 148. Not sure of your weight but I use .90 and weight around 190 geared up.

Rhyno54

I will agree that the fz-09 has a great engine and understand why Yamaha cut corners on the suspension to keep the cost down but if they could have put a better suspension on the bike and changed the riding position on it, I think it would have been a great buy at either 8,999 or 9,999. It would have been the best bike for under 10 grand besides the street triple r which is great bike in it's own right

Bram

I did 3 testrides wit the MT-09 and tracer this weekend.

In my opoinion, the only upgrade compared to the FZ8 is the engine torque and weight.
I will not trade in my FZ8 for an MT-09 and here's why:

The engine is a beast, but it's too much torque for all the other components in the bike.

- The front is not heavy enough. And in combination with way too soft front suspension, it does not inspire confidence when riding bad/uneven pavement.
- The throttle control is jerky (A mode and STD mode is worst. B mode is better). In combination with bad roads and a soft suspention, it's hard to have a smooth ride. (you keep jumping and diving forward)
- Traction control is needed. During the test ride in dry conditions, 22°C and a heated up tyre, I had my rear wheel coming loose from the pavement more than once during a corner when accellerating.
- The supermotard riding position in combination with all the above does not give me the feedback from the pavement that I need. At the end of the test rides, I was happy to get back on my FZ8.

- The whole package, makes it a dangerous ride, when doing twisties. This bike will get me in trouble in no time.

But make no mistake, this engine will smoke any competition due to is't high torque at low RPM's. But wanting to follow a FZ8 in some good-paced twisties, is plane dangerous.

Just my 2ct.