New Owner, question about engine noise

dig59017

I recently acquired a new to me 2012 FZ8N, with under 5000 miles on the clock. After a bit of riding I noticed a noise that is concerning me. It's coming from the top of the motor, always there at idle. When riding on side streets at low speed it's always there, but when I accelerate above 2-3K rpm or cruise at a steady speed above 45mph or so, the noise goes away. It's a rubbing or rolling sound, similar to that of a wheel bearing noise on a car when the bearing is on its way out. It sounds like it's related to the valves. I know that these engines are noisy, but this seems louder to me than it should be, and the sudden disappearance of the noise when there is pressure from the engine on the rear wheel makes me nervous. Is it noise from the timing chain on the guides? Is the timing chain tensioner bearing failing? The bike is running fine aside from this. I'm planning to ride it on a long-ish trip in a few weeks and I want to know if I should be concerned. I don't have a yamaha dealer nearby, unfortunately. The nearest dealers are over 100 miles away. Does this sound sound ring a bell for anyone out there?

Thanks for your opinions!

Scott

Last edited:

Cyclone85

I've listened to a half-dozen or so FZ8s over the last few years, and they all sound the same to me. I know what you're to describe, and mine kind of sounds the same way. I believe it's a characteristic of the engine itself. Given my experience with motorcycles such as Zuk, Yamaha, Kaw, and Honda over the last 30-years, I would estimate the chances close to *zero* that you have an engine problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Cyclone85

Also -- try tihs. At idle and with the tranny in neutral gear, you can probably hear the whirring noise you don't like. Now, pull the clutch in and keep it in neutral still. Did it go away and sound a little bit differently? A person tends to hear a few things out of a naked cycle compared to something like a CBR with all of that cladding. My Zuk 650 made goofy noises too -- but mine sounded the same as every other 650 out there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

dig59017

Thanks for the reassurance. I've heard similar noises too, just none that went away so suddenly under specific conditions. I'm going to take her out for a 200 mile ride today. Making sure my AAA is up to date first...

In regard to the second tip you posted, the sound doesn't seem to change with the clutch out or in. It's pretty obviously coming from the valve train area. I thought at first it was biased to the left side of the bike, but after double checking while off the bike it seems to be about even one side to the other.

Last edited:

Fazerboy66

Thanks for the reassurance. I've heard similar noises too, just none that went away so suddenly under specific conditions. I'm going to take her out for a 200 mile ride today. Making sure my AAA is up to date first...

In regard to the second tip you posted, the sound doesn't seem to change with the clutch out or in. It's pretty obviously coming from the valve train area. I thought at first it was biased to the left side of the bike, but after double checking while off the bike it seems to be about even one side to the other.
Did you ever get to the bottom of this noise? Mine appears to doing the same thing.