New Owner from WI, USA. Few ?'s

Soulbreeze

Hey all! Just picked up a 2012 on tuesday. Had about 7k miles on it. Scratch here and there, mostly on the exhaust, but I already got a Yoshi on the way anyway.

Anywho, I have 2 questions about the bike now that I've gotten 200 or so miles on it:

1 - Low speed (under 40mph) surging. This is probably exasperated by the fact this bike may have been sitting around awhile, but when I'm riding in town the bike surges A LOT. When trying to hold a steady 30mph or so, the bike is wanting to surge and ebb with the fueling and sometimes it almost sounds like it's stumbling (like when your rpms are too low). Like I said, this might smooth out a bit after a couple of tanks of new gas get through it, and I'm sure the 6k service was skipped so I need go get that done. But, is there anything that smooths this out? Or is it something you just learn to live with?

2 - Engine heat. Bike is operating well within acceptable range. It's only hit 205 degrees so far while riding (216 once when I was stopped), but man does it throw the heat at my legs! Spread my legs for a few seconds and they cool down, but is it normal for this thing to throw a ton of heat at you? I hadn't read anything about that in the reviews I've see and read.

Yup, that's it! See y'all around!

efzate

Hey all! Just picked up a 2012 on tuesday. Had about 7k miles on it. Scratch here and there, mostly on the exhaust, but I already got a Yoshi on the way anyway.

Anywho, I have 2 questions about the bike now that I've gotten 200 or so miles on it:

1 - Low speed (under 40mph) surging. This is probably exasperated by the fact this bike may have been sitting around awhile, but when I'm riding in town the bike surges A LOT. When trying to hold a steady 30mph or so, the bike is wanting to surge and ebb with the fueling and sometimes it almost sounds like it's stumbling (like when your rpms are too low). Like I said, this might smooth out a bit after a couple of tanks of new gas get through it, and I'm sure the 6k service was skipped so I need go get that done. But, is there anything that smooths this out? Or is it something you just learn to live with?

2 - Engine heat. Bike is operating well within acceptable range. It's only hit 205 degrees so far while riding (216 once when I was stopped), but man does it throw the heat at my legs! Spread my legs for a few seconds and they cool down, but is it normal for this thing to throw a ton of heat at you? I hadn't read anything about that in the reviews I've see and read.

Yup, that's it! See y'all around!

--------------------------------------------
Welcome
As for number 2 and the heat, this has come up before and lot of folks do not have that issue. I do. With the stock seat I sit up against the tank naturally with legs touching the bike; the frame heats up and radiates upwards onto my hamstrings. Under 70 deg F not too much of a problem but in summer it's not really comfortable for any length of time (mostly I ride early morning anyway) as the frame heats up. Maybe a shad seat, which I want to get anyway, will help if I am more level and legs will not automatically fall against the bike or take less effort to hold out for airflow................

Dtrain035

I have both issues on my 2012 as well.

For#1, I had that problem when I first got mine. I find that when the RPMs are under 2500, I experienced this too. Best bet is just keep it in a lower gear. It fixes it for me but I've only been riding this bike for a year. Others may have their own suggestion.

For#2. I have this heat issue too on days over 75. I only really notice is when stopped or in slow moving traffic. Like efzate said, depends on how you sit. I replaced my seat with a Shad, it makes a small difference but I still feel the heat.

Soulbreeze

Thanks for the info, folks. The heat could definitely be the frame heating up. I sit pretty hard into the tank on this bike, but not uncomfortably so, so that would make sense as I'm not used to hugging the frame with my crotch like I am now. Not a huge deal, like I said I can just splay my legs out for a few seconds and it cools me down quick.

rodolphestpreux

Welcome, I have a 2012 with 7444 on it. Ive only had it for maybe 2 weeks at the most. I havent noticed mines doing that (prob 1), Ill pay attention to see if mines does it as well.
Yea the heat thing (prob 2) is not a big deal for me. I dont notice the frame being hot, maybe im just used to it and didnt even think twice about it.

Keach

Never really noticed the bike surging, but turbojoe ecu flash along with an r6 throttle tube not only gave it some extra balls it actually smooth out the bike quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk