New owner 2013 FZ8 in Northeast USA

J

jer

Hi everyone,

I took the MSF course in August 2013 and bought a used 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R which I just sold on Saturday after riding around 1200 miles. The dealer was selling a 2013 FZ6R for $4999 and a 2013 FZ8 for $5999. It seemed too good to pass up, especially with the adjustable suspension. It felt pretty comfortable at the dealer. I'm 5'10" and probably 225 lbs with gear, so far I am finding the seat hard but hoping it just needs some use to soften up a bit. I'd welcome anyone's input on adjustments they have made on the suspension or if they think it is fine as is. Looking at fender eliminators, radiator cover, belly pan, frame sliders, tank pad. Any recommendations of things you are happy with, or don't like, are welcome.

Rode it home yesterday for 25 miles and today I did another 25 miles. A little busy during the week as a stay at home Dad. Hard to have the free time and good weather lately.

023.jpg
Jer

Umyaya

Sweet! Initially I went for all the mods that made my bike look cooler lol. Had a squid mentality .. still do. But I over looked actual performance mods or functionable ones. I do suggest some sort of protection like frame sliders or bars.. but depending how aggressive you are planning to ride I suggest suspension.... seat... mirrors... bars... and exhaust. It's all up to you. Endless possibilities. I also suggest upgrading the tires even before the tread is gone. Those stock slipstones (bridgestones) were awful. Front wears super weird and not confident in corners. Throw on a sport touring tire!

Last edited:

nightttime

Congratulations! I am similar in height and a bit heavier, I'm a body builder in my spare time but anyways... The frame sliders are super popular and great on this bike. I would however, choose the engine guard (they won't both fit). Let me know if you've felt some numbing vibrations at speeds between 60-75! I'm new to riding street, and used to vibrations but on a street bike such as this I would hope I can eliminate some of the vibrations in the handlebars. The stock exhaust looks great and sounds nice, never throw it out!

Sinooch

congratulations on the new bike. where about are you in the north east. haven't really seen any other fz8's by me. Only one guy but i don't know who he is and i don't think he is on the forum. also, my first mods were fender eliminator and motodynamic integrated led tail light. just cleans the bike up dramatically.

J

jer

I am in central New Jersey. I like the look of the motodynamic integrated taillight, wondering how difficult it is with having to take apart the rear light area.

Umyaya

Easy. There is a how to online... but you just pop the 6 tabs underneath and then undo the bolts under the passenger seat. The entire cowling comes off and it is just a straight plug and play. Super easy,

J

jer

I currently don't have any friends that ride and I ride alone, I don't care about it looking cooler. I'm in a Meet-Up Group but have yet to attend a group ride. I like the basic look of the bike as is, anything I do would be to protect something like the radiator cover or frame sliders, etc. I don't think I am an aggressive rider at all but this bike can probably help me become a little more than I was. Lots of winding, mountain roads in my area. The bike is faster than I will need, I will not expect to do any performance mods. Honestly, even riding during the break-in period, I am having a hard time not being 5-10 mph over the speed limit most of the time.

J

jer

I was reading your initial posts about getting your FZ8 just before I joined the forum today. I had it up to like 53 mph today but couldn't stay on the highway- terrible crosswinds and gusts. Even after riding for 13 months, the fastest I have gone is 65. This bike is much more smooth and stable, I can tell you that when I started riding last year I would get terrible headaches from wearing a helmet I guess and then I had trouble with numb hands for a while too. I looked up on the web for answers but I think just riding more and trying to relax my grip more to where I am now it is not a frequent problem anymore.
I wouldn't change the exhaust, I like it the way it is.

Umyaya

Ya if you are getting vibration from the bars you can try different grips and bar ends... or some barsnake in the bars.. Also what gloves are you wearing?
Yeah if I was a father I definitely wouldn't be riding too aggressive.... Too much to live for.. If you do get aggressive don't freak out and stand the bike up if you hear some scraping in corners... the peg indicators sit pretty low and will grind off.. Also the bike will do triple digits in sweeper corners. Just FYI... and that's on stock suspension... Quick story... A guy I call the Green Goblin on a Green Ninja ZX6r or a liter bike couldn't tell was in front of me as we entered a county road with plenty of long sweepers...Initially I thought he was going to be a typical squid since he had some teenybop chick on the back and I chased him 100-120 in sweepers and 120+ in straights and he was pulling on me with a passenger! lol later I found out that he is a racer... so I didn't feel too bad..

Last edited:
J

jer

Yeah, that vibration question was from nighttime. I don't have that issue on this bike but it's still new. I have 2 boys and my 10 yr old sometimes rode with me on my Ninja 500R. My 35 yr old brother-in-law was killed locally on a motorcycle at like 35mph about 9 yrs ago, I had thought he would teach me to ride but it never happened. I decided I still wanted to learn before I turned 40 last year and took the MSF course. I take safe riding about as serious as anyone can I think, at this point I am getting more comfortable/confident after a year of learning as much as possible riding at night, in traffic, etc.

Umyaya

I'm sorry to hear that about your brother in law. Yeah I tell everybody to take the MSF course.. I wish I would have.. I bought a Honda CBR as a first bike lol and literally taught myself how to ride it the next morning.. was too excited to wait for my buddy to take me to the parking lot...luckily I didn't end up on Youtube under the search bar "motorcycle fails." I definitely realized it's power and downgraded to the Fz8 (no regrets). I also I am thinking about taking some advanced courses and doing track stuff next season.. Being safe has really played a big role in my riding this season. Those Ninja 300/500/650 are the real deal.. I used to underestimate them but if I do start doing track stuff I am getting a Ninja 300 for the gas mileage and for the track. Planning on doing more long trips so I'm looking for a bike I can attach luggage onto.

Sinooch

I am in central New Jersey. I like the look of the motodynamic integrated taillight, wondering how difficult it is with having to take apart the rear light area.

Great to see another local. Im over around North Brunswick and when i do do work on my bike, i do it myself. If you need a hand installing anything just let me know. if i can help i will

J

jer

Sinooch...I wont say the exact town on a public forum but I am in the Piscataway area which is very close. I worked as a trained auto mechanic about 20 yrs ago so I have tools and some general knowledge. My biggest concern is taking apart a new bike and messing it up. Weather, wind and bugs are a factor as I do not have a garage to do the work in. I did a lot of small things to my Ninja 500R like Ninja 650R mirrors, bar ends, Zero Gravity windscreen, racing footpegs, frame slider mod for rear footpegs, had to replace front blinkers. I felt like it was designed to work on fairly easily.

Keach

Sinooch...I wont say the exact town on a public forum but I am in the Piscataway area which is very close. I worked as a trained auto mechanic about 20 yrs ago so I have tools and some general knowledge. My biggest concern is taking apart a new bike and messing it up. Weather, wind and bugs are a factor as I do not have a garage to do the work in. I did a lot of small things to my Ninja 500R like Ninja 650R mirrors, bar ends, Zero Gravity windscreen, racing footpegs, frame slider mod for rear footpegs, had to replace front blinkers. I felt like it was designed to work on fairly easily.

Welcome and congrats on the purchase. My advice would be don't be hesitant to take stuff off of this bike to mod it. Everything is very simple from taking off the tail plastic, down to taking off the tank to get to the airbox and ecu. More importantly everything goes back together very easily. Give yourself a little time on the bike and your opinion of "power" mods might change. An ecu flash makes this bike much smoother and overall more fun to ride. As for appearance mods idk how anyone can live with that stock rear fender, but I guess more power to ya if it doesn't bug you. The motodynamic taillight is way brighter and more noticeable than stock in most peoples opinions. To me it's a win win for looks and safety. Ride safe and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sinooch

Yea. thats understandable that you wont say. but like every one else said. its easy to do stuff. I learned everything i know from jumping right into it and hasnt failed me yet.

nightttime

I think my vibes are just from the break in. I am planning on doing something like new bar caps. I am getting some vibrations through 45 mph now, but now I am 100% sure my engine is breaking in. I'm at 500 miles, just gotta make that 200 mile hump!