New Guy from LA

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
Hey guys, been trolling the site since I bought my new FZ8 and even before actually. Wanted to introduce myself and say thanks for all the great info, I was looking at several different bikes while I was shopping and some of what I learned here helped me to make the final decision. Well that and a test ride, made the Aprilia I was looking at feel gutless. I even test rode the FZ-1 and though I may be in the minority on this, I actually preferred the motor on the 8, the power felt more useable in the "real world" of LA traffic.

I used to co-own a custom car shop where I specialized in design/fabrication and currently work as a designer. So needless to say everything I own goes under the knife pretty quickly. I've already done some work to the FZ but mostly minor stuff for now. I have always ridden Triumph's and mostly bought the FZ to keep miles off of my Bonneville. I really want to bring some of that old school cafe style to the FZ as I love how it rides but not entirely how it looks. Anyways, here a quick photoshop I did to show where it is headed. I used the MT-OS concept as inspiration.

Thanks!
R

D

Deleted member 438

Welcome to the forum. You would have the baddest fz8 of you made it look like that rendering.

RyanSterling

Thanks guys, Will see how it goes, should be able to pick up my replacement factory parts after work today. I always like to buy replacements before I start cutting. I did a test run of the 7" light last weekend and need to cut new ears. Anyways, looking forward to a weekend of making noise and disapproving looks over the fence from my neighbors.

Really toying with the idea of an under-engine exhaust. Does anyone know if it has ever been tried? Maybe one of the FZ-1or6 guys?

H

Hoover

Welcome. I never considered adding red accents. They actually look very cool.

C

Camo

Welcome to the world of FZ8, looks like we'll have another thread to watch with the mods you have planned.:)

RyanSterling

Had a BUSY weekend. Pretty much have all the main stuff done. A few little minor tweaks still to be made. All in all though I am happy with it for the time being. Will do a proper write up/postmortem in another thread.

For now though I need to figure out a good place to hide the horn. With the 7" headlight it sticks out like a sore thumb.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Subscribed for updates. This is a completely different look. Did you add a projector to that 7 in headlight?

RyanSterling

Yup, I actually made it from two separate lights as well as a projector kit. To be honest, sourcing the right parts was the hardest of the project. It was tough to find a 7" light with a polycarbonate lens. and then find a different light with the projector I wanted. Being a Triumph guy usually it did make me happy to use a lucas bucket. :)

Coolslice

Wow! I have been thinking how cool of a platform the FZ8 would be to turn into a cafe' racer style bike. (I love the show "Cafe Racer", and I think the guy that turns the Yamaha Virago's into a cafe racer has some of the baddest bikes I've ever seen.

I HATE the headlight of the FZ8 more and more everyday. I think what you have done there is definitely cool and certainly on the right track. I think reworking the tail section and taking some of that sport bike angle out of it would do wonders for the FZ8 as well.

I think you need to start another thread in the general discussion section about this just to get it out there a little more.

Nice work!

RyanSterling

I live in Canyon Country, about ten minutes from the SFV. Do you know of any local FZ8 groups?

Wish I did, I have still only seen one other 8 in the wild. Was on Sepulveda over by LAX goin the other way. If you and other Cali guys wanted to get anything started, I'd be down.
:cool:

Thanks Man, I really appreciate it. I plan on starting a mods thread which will include everything I did to the light area. None of it was particularly difficult, but sourcing the parts was a time sucker. I can't believe how hard it was to find a 7" headlight with a polycarbonate lens. Anyhow, I was planning on making a bum stop for the rear of the bike. Kind of cafe style, but one of the agreements I have with my girl about this bike is that I am not supposed to mod it so much we can't ride 2-up. I kinda did that with my Triumph. Anyhow, the plan for now is to have it go on and remove just like the rear seat cowl and have a provision for some light storage. I have been working 70+ hour weeks lately so I havent had time to gather up all the photos but as soon as I do I will start a thread.

Thanks again for the encouragement, and if I can be of any help on anyones projects let me know. I enjoy moddin' them possibly even more than ridin' em.

Last edited: