New appreciate for my FZ8 after test riding the FZ09

dtbrown

I attended a Yamaha test ride today and was excited to be able to finally test a FZ09 and a Star Bolt. The Bolt was quite awesome and surprised me how easy it was to ride and how well it handled. The FZ09 also surprised me. I was able to test both for about 30 min or so.

I loved the torque of the 09, the breaks where good and shifting was very smooth. I was really enjoying the motor and the sound and it's a good direction of future power plants. And the torque that I wish the 8 had. But past that I was disappointed on how uncomfortable it was and how it didn't feel as "planted" as the FZ8. I felt to big for the bike and I'm only 6 foot tall. My most comfortable position was sitting with a gap of about 5" inches between me and the tank and that still wasn't a comfortable feeling. I tried sitting as I would on the FZ8 against the tank but it felt way to far forward and it was even more uncomfortable.

And I'm not sure if the lighter weight made it fell less "planted" The only way I can explain it is the 8 feels attached to the road and very stable which I could only contribute that to the 8 being heavier. And not only taking curves but also going straight. The 09 felt really good on the curves so no complaints there. It felt like a super moto bike just not an upright sports bike.

And I guess that's where the 8 comes in because it's got a sports bike heritage and the 09 is a different beast.

Not saying it's a bad bike by any means but I was just disappointed on how it felt for me. I was really excited to possibly get this bike next year but unfortunately the FZ09 is a no for me. I'm so glad to get a test ride in before I had buyers remorse.

But it was still a lot of fun.

Bajaedition

Got buddy with a bolt, I really like that bike. Not much in the HP department but a fun bike

I have ridden a FZ9, helped set one up at the track for track duty, did a run with 3 last week and talked to the owners for a while. I think the FZ8 is a long term keeper.

I did not like the FZ9 at the track, it needs to much, it is made with cheap stuff.
When I test rode one on the street it seemed to have suspension trouble, and at the track that really showed up, we were replacing a lot of stuff to tune it in.
I did like the switchable mode thinggy, that is like dialing in modes to what you are doing at the moment, I like that. But not enough to trade in the 8

After talking to the guys I rode with they asked me what I had to do with the * and I told them I resprung the rear shock, reset the front damping and changed the seat to a comfy Corbin. All 3 of the riders were complining about the bike being squishy and not inspiring confidence at all. I pointed out it was priced a grand less than teh 8 and asked where they thought they had done the cuts.

but, bottom line is Yamaha is selling those 9s hand over fist and they had to discount the 8s out the door.

I love my 8. the nine I think has problems, but then most riders will never tax the bike that much.

jassilamba

I have not driven the 9, but seems to be the common things I hear about the 9 vs 8. I love my 8 so far and pretty happy with the price I paid.

Here is hoping that Yamaha is able to take the good of the 9, and improve it upcoming models. I know that is not an easy task for Yamaha, as then they get close to the STR price, and I would take the street triple R over the 9 (STR looks better).

dtbrown

I have not driven the 9, but seems to be the common things I hear about the 9 vs 8. I love my 8 so far and pretty happy with the price I paid.

Here is hoping that Yamaha is able to take the good of the 9, and improve it upcoming models. I know that is not an easy task for Yamaha, as then they get close to the STR price, and I would take the street triple R over the 9 (STR looks better).

Yeah I was pretty disappointed even more so that I was so excited to test ride it. Still a great motor and the heads up display is much improved. If they can start putting the triple motors in some sport bikes like the fz8 I'm sold.

bauers007

I had the opportunity to try the FZ-09 and Bolt at a demo ride up in MN recently. I have to agree that I love my FZ8 even more after the demo.

But the 9 was incredibly fun. I loved the torque and the sound. I think it's a better bike for the joy rides, but I found some downfalls that make the 8 a better day-to-day bike. The seating position kept me sliding forward and was awkward making the foot position feel too far back. On the short ride that I took it felt like the brakes were soft. I didn't notice the suspension trouble, but I obviously wasn't on a track.

The 9 is a great bike. Personally, I like my 8.

Umyaya

Ran into a 12' FZ8 at the gas station today. Guy was from Faribault! Never seen another in the area around us.

bauers007

I'm in Burnsville too. But I haven't seen any other 8's riding around here. Good to know there are a few in the area! Yamaha had their demo ride at Motoprimo a couple weeks ago with the FZ-09 there.

jassilamba

I'm in Burnsville too. But I haven't seen any other 8's riding around here. Good to know there are a few in the area! Yamaha had their demo ride at Motoprimo a couple weeks ago with the FZ-09 there.

I'm in Burnsville as well (right on County Rd 11). I wanted to go to that demo ride event at Motoprimo, but was not able to make it there. Toulsey is going to have an event Aug 15. I'm thinking of going there. I kinda of want to ride a R6 or something like that.

NoNine4me

The FZ8 handles much better than the FZ-09 not because of the weight but because of the chassis and engine design.

The differences between the two bikes are day/night. Bolt-together, two-piece frame for the 9; massive, solid, strong, FZ1-derived chassis for the 8. The 8's swingarm is more rigid, the vertical shock works much better then the "Monocross" design (what MotoGP bike uses the lay-down shock, and how's that working out for it?), the fork construction uses better quality seals and bushings, the brakes are much better...there's a reason the FZ-09 is inexpensive.

Handling has a lot to do with the engine design and position and also the location of the rotating shafts within the engine. Being sourced from the R1, the FZ1 engine is extremely narrow and compact and locates all its components in a dense package. The alternator is behind the cylinders unlike the FZ-09, which has the alternator slung out on the end of the crankshaft, old-school style. The four-cylinder engine is inherently better-balanced than the triple also.

Yes, they got a lot of power out of that triple but the chassis is not what it could have been. But it would have cost a lot more money.

No offense to anyone on any bike but I am just confirming the "why" of your feeling about the FZ8. There are in fact design reasons for the big differences.

bauers007

I'm in Burnsville as well (right on County Rd 11). I wanted to go to that demo ride event at Motoprimo, but was not able to make it there. Toulsey is going to have an event Aug 15. I'm thinking of going there. I kinda of want to ride a R6 or something like that.

That might be worth a ride up there. Too bad its a Friday and not over the weekend.