Never mind cold feet, my fingers are frozen!

MotoZen

So I recently picked up a pair of winter riding gloves. I got some Dianese Scout EVO gloves from Revzilla and they are really comfortable. The guy at the "boutique" said that they are just about the warmest gloves that you can get before going to heated ones.

I rode to work this morning in 35-40 degree temps and I was fine aside from my finger tips. Does anyone have any suggestions on other/better gloves? I know that it can be very subjective, but I'd really like to extend my riding season well into the winter here in PA. Are these really the warmest they get?

If nobody really has any suggestions on warmer gloves, should I look into a cheap set of heated gloves or grips? I've never used heated gear, so I'm completely open to suggestions, keeping in mind that I don't have a ton of money to spend.

Thanks for any advice ahead of time.

master paper clip

Tell me about it, cold as hell this morning my hands were numb before I got out my complex, but I also just have regular riding gloves that I'm wearin fleece gloves under. This thread has tickled my fancy

charris247

I have found when it comes to temperatures below 45 degrees not winter glove really does the trick (not including headed hear). You either buy really warm gloves and sacrifice dexterity or semi-warm gloves that freeze your hands out super quick.

If your going to go the heated gear route, I highly recommend Gerbings. Their gloves are crazy warm and don't compromise dexterity. Unfortunately I did not know about them before spending $125 on winter gloves so I decided to go the Oxford Grip route (best decision I made so far). I had $20 revzilla cash so I think they set me back about $45.

The installation is easy and they are really effective.

TorontoAlex

I just installed some Heat Demons heated grips. I got fancy and used a relay hooked up to the tail light, going to a little fuse box I bought then to the switch beside the passenger seat keyhole. Took forever and hopefully worth it. I have a feeling gloves are better. I haven't ridden since but it takes a few minutes for the heat to come through. And it's not crazy hot which I was hoping for. Wires are very small.

Bajaedition

does everyone here know that mittens are warmer than gloves?
it seems that with mittens, the fingers share the warmth.

ok, that said do not run out and get a set of mittens, just remember that when looking for those rain proof over gloves that you put over your winter gloves, mitten types work better.

some of the warmest gloves I ever owned were thick winter gloves made from leather with those nylon mittens over them. I do not go for high tech material inside. I look for some type of fur, ah, not like rabbit but like sheep, and real sheep. and leather that is sewn tight. Then I get a set of waterproof mittens made for motorcycle gloves and those, if you can find them easily, are worth their weight in gold.

good luck, it took me a few years to find a good set and they are not for sale. no way Jose. noppers, absolutely not. I value warm fingers more than warm toes.

9 Lives

Heated grips or gloves are the way to go, personally i like the heated grips better because you don't have wires to worry about or batteries to recharge. I ride my sled at -40C at 100 mph+ and my hands are nice and warm with heated grips and normal winter gloves ie skiing gloves. As mentioned before the hand guards make a big difference also.

DSmith

I have the Icon Patrol gloves for cold weather riding. There good till about the freezing mark then my fingers start to go numb after about an hour. Everybody tolerates the cold differently though.

MotoZen

I have found when it comes to temperatures below 45 degrees not winter glove really does the trick (not including headed hear). You either buy really warm gloves and sacrifice dexterity or semi-warm gloves that freeze your hands out super quick.

If your going to go the heated gear route, I highly recommend Gerbings. Their gloves are crazy warm and don't compromise dexterity. Unfortunately I did not know about them before spending $125 on winter gloves so I decided to go the Oxford Grip route (best decision I made so far). I had $20 revzilla cash so I think they set me back about $45.

The installation is easy and they are really effective.

I was sort of surprised at how quickly I could feel the cold through the ultra-expensive Dianese gloves that I bought. LIke I said, the guy at the revzilla store said that they are just about the warmest that you can get.

Hand guards are also very effective. Keeping the wind off helps a lot for me.

Any idea where we can get some hand guards for our FZ8s?

I just installed some Heat Demons heated grips. I got fancy and used a relay hooked up to the tail light, going to a little fuse box I bought then to the switch beside the passenger seat keyhole. Took forever and hopefully worth it. I have a feeling gloves are better. I haven't ridden since but it takes a few minutes for the heat to come through. And it's not crazy hot which I was hoping for. Wires are very small.

I think I may be leaning toward the heated grip route for the time being as they are a good bit cheaper than heated gloves. I already put in a relay when I connected my cell phone charger. I also planned ahead and put in a terminal strip so that I can easily connect accessories in the future. I was already thinking about the possibility of heated gear and/or some lighting accents.

does everyone here know that mittens are warmer than gloves?
it seems that with mittens, the fingers share the warmth.

ok, that said do not run out and get a set of mittens, just remember that when looking for those rain proof over gloves that you put over your winter gloves, mitten types work better.

some of the warmest gloves I ever owned were thick winter gloves made from leather with those nylon mittens over them. I do not go for high tech material inside. I look for some type of fur, ah, not like rabbit but like sheep, and real sheep. and leather that is sewn tight. Then I get a set of waterproof mittens made for motorcycle gloves and those, if you can find them easily, are worth their weight in gold.

good luck, it took me a few years to find a good set and they are not for sale. no way Jose. noppers, absolutely not. I value warm fingers more than warm toes.

I thought about mittens, but the idea of wearing mittens over gloves while riding seems to me like you would have zero dexterity. And forget about lever feel. I definitely agree about the fingers over toes thing. I really don't like when I can't feel my fingers, especially when I'm using them for things like braking!

I have always used SYMTEC on my road bikes and enduro bikes (so you can wear thinner gloves in winter) very good and never had a problem

Heated Grips and Clothing > Winding Roads Ltd

I'll definitely look into them. They are probably light years ahead of the link that I posted earlier.

Heated grips or gloves are the way to go, personally i like the heated grips better because you don't have wires to worry about or batteries to recharge. I ride my sled at -40C at 100 mph+ and my hands are nice and warm with heated grips and normal winter gloves ie skiing gloves. As mentioned before the hand guards make a big difference also.

So far, I think I'm leaning in the same direction. If I can find some cheap hand guards and heated grips, they seam like a good compromise. I also am not a huge fan of having to worry about wires for only about a 40 minute commute. The only reason I can really see the heated gloves being significantly better is that they heat the whole hand as opposed to just what is touching the grip. I've never used either though, so I'm not sure how much of a difference it really makes.

I have the Icon Patrol gloves for cold weather riding. There good till about the freezing mark then my fingers start to go numb after about an hour. Everybody tolerates the cold differently though.

Yeah, I definitely thought that I could tolerate it better. and for the most part, I was fine, it was just my fingers that were really bothering me. Both my jacket and pants have windproof/waterproof liners and thermal liners, and my boots seem to be doing a pretty good job. My toes got a little chilly, but nothing that some thicker wool socks wouldn't solve.

Thanks for the replies. I'll start researching my cheaper options. I'm almost regretting spending what I did on gloves and paying Rabbitman for a HID retrofit; I'm out of money and need to figure this out as cheaply as possible. I'm dieing to get an exhaust too, but that will have to wait until next year some time I think.

MotoZen

I just did a quick search on these forums for hand guards and it seems like most of them use your stock bar end insert and eliminate the bar ends themselves. I already removed my insert and have bar end mirrors. I'll have to take a look around and see if I can get some sort of clamp on guards, unless anyone has other suggestions?

DSmith

For a super cheap solution. Buy a box of these and stick a pair in the backhand portion of you gloves. Unless your gloves are super snug you wont have a problem operating the controls. I work outside everyday and Id be lost without these.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Hand-Warmers-Box-Pair/dp/B001G7QECY"]http://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Hand-Warmers-Box-Pair/dp/B001G7QECY[/ame]

RoadKill

I use the Gerbings G3's and have very cold sensitive hands. I ride all winter in Brooklyn NY no problems at all. anything below 60 degrees for longer than an hour and i break them out. below 55 i have them on always.

Bajaedition

the dexterity thing with mittens is a issue, that is why I have gloves under them, those outer ones are not tight around the gloves so the fingers move independently. However they are not as flexy as a set of summer gloves.

I agree about the movement issue. You have to think about that

MotoZen

After looking at some Gerbings gloves, I'm really regretting buying the Dianese ones. For only about $30 more, I could have had heated gloves. :-(

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

MotoZen

For a super cheap solution. Buy a box of these and stick a pair in the backhand portion of you gloves. Unless your gloves are super snug you wont have a problem operating the controls. I work outside everyday and Id be lost without these.

http://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Hand-Warmers-Box-Pair/dp/B001G7QECY

The trouble is that the palms and back of my hands did fine. It was mostly just the fingers that were bothering me.

Bajaedition

The trouble is that the palms and back of my hands did fine. It was mostly just the fingers that were bothering me.

that is what happened to me till I found a way to block the wind coming in.
it seems way up front there the stitching on the fingers is what lets it through.
I have seen guys put those plastic motocross guards on also

dart1963

Super Moderator
Just installed the oxford heated sport grips. Best mod for cold fingers, hand guards are on my list too.

Revzilla had them for $80 shipped. Takes about an hour to install.

I've heard, from JSP I believe, don't ever use the hand warmers... they are air activated and will burn you quickly as you get going down the road.

MotoZen

that is what happened to me till I found a way to block the wind coming in.
it seems way up front there the stitching on the fingers is what lets it through.
I have seen guys put those plastic motocross guards on also

My new Dianese's are goretex and supposedly wind/waterproof, but I'm not really convinced.

Just installed the oxford heated sport grips. Best mod for cold fingers, hand guards are on my list too.

Revzilla had them for $80 shipped. Takes about an hour to install.

I've heard, from JSP I believe, don't ever use the hand warmers... they are air activated and will burn you quickly as you get going down the road.

Are the heated grips not enough? or are they heating only the insides of your hands and the backs are still getting cold?

I'm seriously considering putting the new gloves on ebay and just getting a pair of gerbings.