Need some insight

TheTodd

Ok so about a month ago i bought a brand new leftover 2013 FZ8 from a dealer. I am pretty good with mechanical things so i did the oil changes and regular maintenance myself. which all went fine considering i work at a motorcycle shop. Anyway this time I adjusted my chain and took it for a ride, which by the way i just passed 1300 miles, i get home and something smells like burning rubber. I can not identify where the smell is coming from and it is starting to worry me. the only other thing other than the chain tension was I lubed the chain at 1000 miles when I changed the oil. Best I can tell the smell is coming from somewhere right below the seat. Can anyone help me?

Ok so I just went and tried to find out more and if left to idle it does not smell hot. So when I adjusted the chain could I have overlooked a break adjustment? and if the chain were too tight could that cause a smell of burning rubber? any suggestions would be welcome

Last edited:

Gem rod

Are the down pipes clean? I ran over a plastic bag a few months ago and it took months to burn off the pipes.

Other than that :confused:

TheTodd

Well i finally figured it out. What happened was I had the chain just a bit too tight so it was rubbing on the chain guide which was making the smell so I fixed that and now I am good to go but thank you for the suggestion:)

Bagman

Adjusting chain tension at 1300 miles seems rather premature. Technically your actual mistake was incorrectly adjusting it (too tight), and you could adjust it correctly after every single ride - LOL. For the future, I'd suggest adjustment maybe every 4000mi. - unless you are a real hooligan with the bike.

TorontoAlex

Adjusting chain tension at 1300 miles seems rather premature. Technically your actual mistake was incorrectly adjusting it (too tight), and you could adjust it correctly after every single ride - LOL. For the future, I'd suggest adjustment maybe every 4000mi. - unless you are a real hooligan with the bike.

I havent adjusted the chain yet at 13000km. I used to do it on my old cb750k but hate working on new bikes cause im afraid ill mess it up lol. Any write ups on chain adjustment?

Bagman

13,000kms!!! The FZ8 is a torquey, powerful motorcycle that will put strain on the chain and sprockets. Chain adjustments, and sprocket/chain replacements are less critical on less powerful bikes - especially if the chain is cared for with regular lubrication. I'd say you're long overdue!

In fact, after I adjusted mine I immediately noticed improvement in throttle response and power delivery. Rear wheel on straight line can now lose traction, and in 1st gear in the power-band the front wheel can lift a bit with a healthy dose of throttle. This was not possible with a sloppy chain.

It's rather simple. Follow the manual's instructions. Up on rear-stand. Find the spot on the chain with the least play (tight spot) and adjust to within spec from that spot. Find play in the chain between rear sprocket and front. Take VERY CAREFUL note of the markings on the swingarm, and where the adjustment "block" is located on BOTH sides. They MUST be identical for rear wheel to remain in alignment. Loosen the adjuster nuts just enough so you can adjust, paying attention if you loosening the nut moved the block. Then start turning the spanner to tighten the chain 1/4 turn per side at a time, making very careful note of where the adjust block has moved on the markings. It barely moves, but it's making a big difference. Once in play, tighten up and enjoy.

I don't have a torque wrench. I tigthened them down well to how I felt they were on when I loosened them, but didn't reef the nut back on. I used the tools in the bike's little tool-pouch too.