Need help

mikefz8

Was wondering if I could reach out to the group for some technical advice on repairing my bike specifically on changing out the cranckcase cover and plug...(as pictured) I have ordered a new case and corresponding bolts, gaskets, o-ring, and plug. Thanks in advance

xXAvroArrowXx

What specially? You want a how to? Or a schematic diagram?

Did this on my Kawi when I dumped. 1 - Drain oil, 2 - remove cover & gasket. (Keep track of which screws go where) 3 - clean off old gasket and lightly scuff mating flanges with grey scotch brite. 4 - wipe oil off flanges and clean w brake cleaner, apply hi temp oil resistant gasket maker to both surfaces (in addition to installing new gasket) 5 - reinstalls new parts in order the old came off & torque 6 - wipe & clean 7 - allow gasket maker to fully cure. 8 - refil oil. Done.

- Avro

2011 Yamaha FZ8
2009 Kawasaki ER-6n (SOLD)

Last edited:

master paper clip

If it's an o-ring style gasket u don't wanna use silicon with it, that gasket it self does the job, but if its anything but an o-ring style gasket yes use some silicon gasket maker

xXAvroArrowXx

If it's an o-ring style gasket u don't wanna use silicon with it, that gasket it self does the job, but if its anything but an o-ring style gasket yes use some silicon gasket maker

Right. I assumed the o-ring is just for the plug.

- Avro

2011 Yamaha FZ8
2009 Kawasaki ER-6n (SOLD)

mikefz8

Yes its the o-ring for the plug which I ordered. Specifically I am looking for torque specs for the different bolts and maybe some pointers

What specially? You want a how to? Or a schematic diagram?

Did this on my Kawi when I dumped. 1 - Drain oil, 2 - remove cover & gasket. (Keep track of which screws go where) 3 - clean off old gasket and lightly scuff mating flanges with grey scotch brite. 4 - wipe oil off flanges and clean w brake cleaner, apply hi temp oil resistant gasket maker to both surfaces (in addition to installing new gasket) 5 - reinstalls new parts in order the old came off & torque 6 - wipe & clean 7 - allow gasket maker to fully cure. 8 - refil oil. Done.

Basically what you describe how to/schematic would be fantastic the parts break down drawing when i ordered the parts basically is a schematic. but yes the torque specs for the bolts and the how to...Pointers basically as you have already done. Thanks

9 Lives

There is a bit more to it than that. The alternator stator along with a bearing and collar is bolted to that cover and will have to be switched over to the new cover. PM me if you need the shop manual. And I believe the frame slider bolts on just above the alternator ;)

Last edited: