Naked bike specific helmet reviews..

BigD

I took like this colour scheme as well as the carbon black look one they had in the shop.
There is another black and red also which u quite like. decisions decisions.
so has anyone actually tried these on our un faired fz8's yet? less head buffeting, head bobble effect and less off the twist neck off during checks at speed? less effort having to hold head forward into the wind? unlike my current shark rsi...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Rosco

Pillion
I tired on a GT-Air and I really liked it. The only thing that bothered me is that it is only DOT rated, not SNELL or ECE rated. So if you are planning on goign to a track the GT-Air would not be a good choice.

No one seems to offer a SNELL certified helmet with an integral visor (I really like having this feature after buying my Scorpion EX0 500). It makes me think that there is a problem with passing SNELL with an integral visor. I wold be surprised if Shoei sacrificed any safety with the design of the GT-Air especially at that price point.

Nope. I have the scorpion exo1000, it has an internal visor and it is SNELL certified. Maybe new SNELL standard?

I've talked with helmet guys at several shops who all informed me that the majority of helmets with an integrated visor don't pass SNELL standards. Something to do with the removal of material in the forehead area to fit in a visor.

The old Exo-1000 was an exception to this, but the new Exo-1100 that replaces it DOES NOT pass SNELL. Also, according to the same shop guys, the GT-Air is likely to pass SNELL standards when they get revised in 2015. Shoei didn't remove any material from the forehead area, but instead added the visor space to the outside of the helmet.

tzortn

Pillion
I've talked with helmet guys at several shops who all informed me that the majority of helmets with an integrated visor don't pass SNELL standards. Something to do with the removal of material in the forehead area to fit in a visor.

The old Exo-1000 was an exception to this, but the new Exo-1100 that replaces it DOES NOT pass SNELL. Also, according to the same shop guys, the GT-Air is likely to pass SNELL standards when they get revised in 2015. Shoei didn't remove any material from the forehead area, but instead added the visor space to the outside of the helmet.

Having to remove foam to allow the visor to fit makes sense. I wonder if that is why the EXO-1000 is so heavy. Unless I was going on a track where SNELL is required I am ok with it not being SNELL rated, but I do like having the ECE or other third party to certify the design.

NoNine4me

I have the RF-1000, RF-1100, and RF-1200 as well as a GT-AIR.

For the FZ8 I like the RF-1000 best. It's light, very comfortable, and handles the airflow quite well.

The RF-1100 is a fairly close second, but it's a bit heavier with a slightly different fit. For longer rides or touring the 1100 would be my pick, for day rides and around town I'd go for the 1000. However the 1000 is no longer made and it's not really an option any more. I happen to have one that was in the box and in storage for a while so it's serviceable.

The RF-1200 did not live up to the hype. The first one I got had a seal come loose, but of course Cycle Gear swapped it out right away, no worries, Shoei has an excellent warranty. The second one was perfect, no issues.

But, the 1200 is quite noisy and breezy. It's light, about the same weight as the 1000, but fits differently, not quite as firmly on the head. I ended up getting the 43mm cheekpads which firm it right up.

Of the 1100 and 1200, if you're doing a lot of longer rides, I'd go with the 1100; it's got more features, like the positive lock for both visor cracked open for venting, and visor locked down, it's got six vents on top, and just a lot of features that make it great all-day helmet.

If your rides are shorter and you want a lighter helmet, go with the 1200.

The GT-AIR is a touring helmet, plain and simple. It's costly and the aerodynamics are superbly tuned, but it is heavy, noticeably so, because of the thick shell needed to accommodate the inner dark smoke visor. That's sort of a cool feature if you don't want to have to worry about sunglasses or swapping visors, but you have to get used to the inner visor (which still allows glare from the instruments to come through unfiltered) and you have to keep it wiped down using a soft glasses-cleaning cloth. It is a neat feature, though, especially for those who ride with prescription glasses and don't want to have to fuss with multiple pairs of glasses for dark and bright conditions.

The GT-AIR is really a flagship helmet, build quality is superb as is quietness and ventilation. The RF-1200 is noticeably less sophisticated; the RF-1100 is closer in overall quality and functionality to the GT-AIR.

Hope this helps.

BigD

Well i got the gt-air and LOVE IT! much more of an improvement from my Shark RSI (very noisey that was!) I dont even have to wear ear plugs with the Shoei and the stable head at speed is so much of a pleasure when riding. love this!!

NoNine4me

Well i got the gt-air and LOVE IT! much more of an improvement from my Shark RSI (very noisey that was!) I dont even have to wear ear plugs with the Shoei and the stable head at speed is so much of a pleasure when riding. love this!!
Yeah, it's a great helmet.

tzortn

Pillion

Is the venting as good as it seems it would be?

BigD

You can certainly feel the air flow through the helmet as you ride. no fogging either due to pinloc. no ear plugs required and all round great lid. worth the purchase for sure. I do believe it is getting re certified too to cover snell and Dot..correct me if I am wrong.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 3631

My AGV is great at any speed. No buffering at all! AGV k-4 fair price great fit and performance and it's quiet. Another helmet I tested at work was the Rphas by Hjc... 400 retail. But it's a cross breed between Arai and shoei. Def will be my next helmet. And quiet with no buffering at speed.

Zenfist

hey
i am happy with my Arai Rebel helmet . It is pretty cool and comfortable too.. :)

Link only goes to Amazon. I did look it up elsewhere, looks a bit clunky for my tastes.
I have the Scorpion EXO-1100, with the mirrored shield. Very light and no buffeting. I have had it for almost 2 years now, probably time to get a new helm.