My zx7r

Motogpmad

Just a few pics of my Zx7r. It went through many incarnations as a road bike before i finally converted it to a tracker.Probably the best bike i have ever ridden on track. I finally painted it the proper colour and gave it a full nut and bolt rebuild. Zxr750 stroker crank giving 803cc, Full titanium Akro system, Ohlins internals in the front, Re valved and sprung standard rear shock, modified battery box (just moved it back to give the bike a better look through the middle)
around 150bhp at the rear wheel. A monster on slicks.

C

Camo

Looks great all dressed up in green, still trying to figure out what my next bike is going to be... Could really do with a track whore but at the moment the 8 is my jack of all trades including tracky. Bought the kids a dirt stick for Xmas and may end up with one of those so we can ride off road together...
Decisions decisions. Every time I see a track bike I want one lol

D

Deleted member 438

That was my dream bike when I was kid. You can get a pretty good deal on one now, but all of the ones I have seen have high mileage. The 7rr was awesome with the solo tail and only one headlight cut out.

Motogpmad

I love the zx7r. Race bike straight out of the box. I spent 1000s on mine getting it to how it is. Im an engineer by trade so i had the pleasure of doing all the work myself, even the paint job and powder coating. The FCR's and the strocker crank give it seamless power right through the rev range. Not sure what top speed is as i dont have speedo fitted, but its fast as hell and turns on a sixpence. Not much will touch it around snetterton :D

Motogpmad

That was my dream bike when I was kid. You can get a pretty good deal on one now, but all of the ones I have seen have high mileage. The 7rr was awesome with the solo tail and only one headlight cut out.
The engines on these bikes are bullet proof. I totally rebuilt mine. The only thing to look out for is the cam chain tensioner. They break down quite easily. I fitted a APE KT750 manual tensioner on mine. but they say if it doesn't rattle, there is something wrong with it :D

D

Deleted member 438

The 7r might make a good track whore for me then. Did the flat slide carbs make a big increase in power?

D

Deleted member 438

Looks great all dressed up in green, still trying to figure out what my next bike is going to be... Could really do with a track whore but at the moment the 8 is my jack of all trades including tracky. Bought the kids a dirt stick for Xmas and may end up with one of those so we can ride off road together...

I'm starting to think that a track bike might be a big money pit. I know I can't leave anything alone and I'd probably start upgrading everything on it.

Motogpmad

The 7r might make a good track whore for me then. Did the flat slide carbs make a big increase in power?

Zx7r its a great track tool in standard trim. Full set of track fairings are around £200. Spend a few hours stripping stuff off that's not needed and hay presto, your not to far from the original race bike. Might be a bit heavy compared to newer bikes but they are so stable when cornering even with standard suspension. Just don't hope to do too many wheelies.

They say around 10-15% power increase with fcr 41's, although i'm not sure on exact horse power gain as the bike was dino'd when the complete set up was finished. Jetting is the key. I spent hours trying to balance them and jetting them trying to get it to run nice at low revs. I then realised that this was not going to happen and its not the nature of these carbs to run well below 1500 rpm. I also needed flatsides due to the strocker crank and full akro system. It would never have run on the standard carbs. The noise from them is amazing too.

W

WARPTH

how are you going to fit on a ttr50? or are you going to go for the ttr125? :confused: :p

you could always buy a yz450 or a wr450 to use off road and than get motard kit to use on the track.
you'll never have more fun!
especially when your over taking tupperware with a dirt bike on slicks!

RnR

You look like a proper hellion Mark :tup:. That's a great bike you have there. 10 years ago everyone around these parts had or wanted a 7X7R. I almost bought one but went with a ZX9R. I'll see if I can dig some pictures up.

RnR

Still wish I had it. Or maybe not. Always made me go a bit mental. Not the sharpest sport tool of it's time. But the bike had presence, brought the fangs out. Before I sold it I added Micron exhaust and jetting. Rung out it would show 300kph. Not that I trust speedos, they always read high. Anyway once my wife heard some of the stories ... well ... :yap: ... that ushered in my sport touring days.

C

Camo

So I'm going to railroad this thread rather than start a new one....
So in light of the cost involved in turning my 8 into an almost dedicated track bike, I'm still looking at really cheap old sporty's to save my 8 from the track.

I've found a couple of fair to good condition 96-2000 ZX7r's and ZX9r's.
I'm after any info I can get my hands on about these bikes regarding maintenance, ongoing problems or known issues, also how the two bikes compare to each other.

It's not likely ill be able to find either at a local dealer to test ride, so I'm hoping to get a fair idea as to which bike is a better choice and get a test ride when I get there with cash in hand.

I'm well aware they're not like modern 600's or 1000's but for my skill level and budget, these old weapons fit perfectly.... If anyone has experience on something else of the same age, feel free to throw up a comparison or your 2 cents worth.

W

WARPTH

So I'm going to railroad this thread rather than start a new one....
So in light of the cost involved in turning my 8 into an almost dedicated track bike, I'm still looking at really cheap old sporty's to save my 8 from the track.

I've found a couple of fair to good condition 96-2000 ZX7r's and ZX9r's.
I'm after any info I can get my hands on about these bikes regarding maintenance, ongoing problems or known issues, also how the two bikes compare to each other.

It's not likely ill be able to find either at a local dealer to test ride, so I'm hoping to get a fair idea as to which bike is a better choice and get a test ride when I get there with cash in hand.

I'm well aware they're not like modern 600's or 1000's but for my skill level and budget, these old weapons fit perfectly.... If anyone has experience on something else of the same age, feel free to throw up a comparison or your 2 cents worth.
Honda cbr900rr are pretty cheap now arent they?

D

Deleted member 438

I have heard the zx7r is a pig but it corners like it's on rails. I believe I have an old Superbike magazine article about it and they nothing but good things to say about it. The 900rr may not be so good because it has 16" front wheel and it makes tire selection difficult.

D

DJK1505

I used to want a zx7 so bad right out of high school. Instead I got an old beat up tracked cbr600 f2. LOL Nice bike man.

Camo,

Man just about any old sport bike you get will make a good track bike. The ZX7 would be sweet. I know around here I see quite a few GSXR750's and ZX7's all track set up, for around 3K US. Not sure what your budget is, but either of them would be a blast!

DJ

C

Camo

I realise they'll all do the job and Warpth, the 900rr's on the market ATM are a little out of reach and in my opinion overpriced considering I can buy a track bike already setup for the same price.

The budget is wafer thin DJK lol...outlay for the bike will be around 2k with maybe 1k to spend getting it right.... I know it's sounds hopeful but I've missed out on a few already because I wasn't quick enough.
I'm not prepared or financial enough to buy an awesome track bike at this stage, maybe in a few years?
I guess I'm just after reassurance that these kwaka's aren't complete lemons that I'm going to be continually digging into my back pocket to keep on the track.

C

Camo

Not really. I could track my 8 for the rest of the year and outside of consumables like oil and tires, it'd cost me nothing.
I'm not looking for a sink, that's my point. I'm really just looking for a cheap way to go hard without worrying about chucking my 8 down and costing me a fortune to fix it or writing it off.

I realise at my price point I'll have to spend a little dough and time 'freshening it up' but outside of that, I'd like to think I could have something reliable ya know

W

WARPTH

Have you searched the auctions. You can pick up cheap r1s and gixxers that need plastics and levers that have been written off from a low side. Or stolen recovered that have had the steering lock pin snapped off and are unable to get registered really cheap.

C

Camo

Yeah mate I have actually. We missed out on two or three really good bargains by a very small margin.
An 07 CBR1000rr nearly had me busting out the credit card a few weeks ago.
I've just gotta stay within my budget or I'll be getting a divorce lol