My first track day

D

Deleted member 438

Awesome!!! Are you having issues with the stock rear sets?

Billeigh

It was really great.Was able to brake later into the corners as the day went on but still think I,m taking to long to get back on the throttle out of the corner but that will come.The tires seemed to cope pretty well.The rear sets did touch a couple times but did not find it a problem for the speed I was doing as I was in the slowest group the corners normally got quite bunched up.Enjoyed the faster flowing corners.Looking forward to the next one.

mckshred

Another First track Day

Had my first track day last Sunday. Went pretty well overall.

I had to ride my bike to the track while my wife followed in the car with tools, gas, chairs, cooler/food and other stuff. Once I arrived, we grabbed a spot under the paddock. I taped all the plastic lenses, removed the bar end mirrors, lowered the tire psi and went thru tech inspect. I had taken the center stand off the day before.

I was able to borrow a set of leathers which worked fine. The stock BT016 (I replaced the oem rear tire after a nail at 300 miles) ran at about 28 rear and 30 front. One of the local shops who was at the track advised me to drop to 28 from 30 and it did improve traction. I don't care much for the stock front tire. It was slow on turn in and I had a tough time 'reading' it. I also have .28 mm risers on my handlebars, which I'm sure don't help with that. I will remove them for the next track day.

The track was really flat, was nice and wide good pavement. It still was much different finding a line on the track vs. a line on the street. I had no idea how different they would feel/be. They mixed the newbies in with the B group and I have to admit it was quite a little adrenaline shot when the first rider passed me on the inside. I utilized the rider coaches on all but the final session of the day. They were great, kept things simple and provided plenty of encouragement throughout the day.

It was nice to finally run my fz a little hard. I ran the stock exhaust because there was no sound test prior. It ran great all day, had no issues at all and got me home the 50 mile drive! I am looking forward to the next track day just so there are a few less new things coming at me. I'd love to hear about other experiences, especially first timers.

Thing I took to track day:
  • Mini Air Compressor, Tools
  • Water, Cooler, Food & Drink
  • Camping Chairs, Ear Plugs
  • 5 gals Gas, Chain Lube, Coolant, Oil
  • Riding gear, Spare shields, Contour Camera, etc..
Things to improve future track days:
  • A folding trailer so I don't have to ride to the track
  • A shade canopy (in case late arrival)
  • My own leathers
  • Relax and don't over think things

Fishhead

Shred, were you at AMP with Xcel? I wasn't there that weekend but it's fun is t it?! I suggest you bring tools next time. I generally try to bring the common sizes of sockets/wrenches/allen wrenches for the bike with me. Never know when you'll need something or need to lend a hand to a neighbor. And yes, relax. I tape over my speedo and write "relax" in sharpie on there.

Op, welcome to the addiction!

Last edited:

mckshred

Yep!

Yes, I was there!
I did also tape over the speedo, but will add the 'relax' label... can't hurt :).

Check on the tools also as I had everything I needed (years of mountain bike riding has prepared me for ....well, being prepared! ;) ), and 5 gals o gas I shared with my newly found Paddock mates.

I'm going up there again on Sunday for the sound test and then the 14th for track day #2. I don't have a lot to go against, but I thought Xcel ran a great track day. Though, I hate feeling like such a newb!

Hmmmmmmm....been scouring CL for a 'track' bike......

Fishhead

Xcel runs a good day. They're always there to help and quick to talk to folks doing unsafe things. The biggest thing I found is watching for exhaustion. Those 30 min sessions are long. By the last couple I was making stupid mistakes. When I realized that, I headed in to the pits to rest. I think I'll try to get to the day in may. I just used my track fund for a new set of tires, so time to replenish the fun stuff fund.

mckshred

Send me a PM before the May date and I'll look you up.
I hear ya on the exhaustion, as I bailed from the last session of the day because that was a concern.