My daily ride to work through NYC in under 3 minutes. Queens to Manhattan via BQE/Williamsburg Bridge.

thach1130

S nice to be able to filter through completely stopped nyc traffic huh? I take the same way you took heading to astoria for korean bbq or mongolian hot pot. Don't you hate that section of the BQE and that bridge near the white stone vridge exit? Alway traffic

eru000

S nice to be able to filter through completely stopped nyc traffic huh? I take the same way you took heading to astoria for korean bbq or mongolian hot pot. Don't you hate that section of the BQE and that bridge near the white stone vridge exit? Alway traffic

The Kosciusko is the worst. 5 lanes merging into 3 and nobody knows how to merge.

Woody146

Banned
Very nice! I just pulled the trigger on a roam2 from woot.$99!!

How do you like the camera? What setting do you like the best? And what about editing? What software do you use..and can you use an ipad? (I don't know much about cameras and editing)

eru000

Very nice! I just pulled the trigger on a roam2 from woot.$99!!

How do you like the camera? What setting do you like the best? And what about editing? What software do you use..and can you use an ipad? (I don't know much about cameras and editing)

I've had it for a few weeks now, and my girlfriend just bought her own on Woot as well. The quality can go from amazing to crappy depending on your settings and how much battery/space you want to use. I usually set it at 720p/30fps high bitrate. I get just over an hour per 4GB and about 3.5 hours total battery. If you increase or decrease quality, it'll change those values.

The video on this thread was shot in 1080p/30fps/high as a test, and and it definitely looks better than 720p on high. The difference between 1080/720 on high bitrate is about 5 more MB per minute (~77 vs ~72). I'm testing tonight what the difference in battery life is between settings (I'll report here when done). If you set it to 720p/60fps (60fps is only available at 720p), it obviously doubles the space and uses more battery.

Keep in mind there's a different FOV for each resolution. 1080p has 120 degrees FOV and 960/720 has 170.

Audio quality is not that great at speed. But that's to be expected for any action cam with wind noise. I cover my microphone in a little piece of velcro (foam supposedly works better, I just don't have any) to help with wind noise. Here's a sample of the audio. You can also mod the device to allow for an external microphone, but you might as well just get a cheap digital audio recorder and dub the audio in post (which I might do eventually).

As far as editing, I have a Linux machine at home, so I use Cinelerra. I'm pretty happy with it. It can be a little buggy, but it works pretty well. I've also used OpenShot, but I didn't like it. On my Windows work machine, I use Lightworks, but it's got a huge learning curve (it's a pro-quality editor), and I still don't know it very well. I prefer to do it at home in Cinelerra. It really helps to transcode the raw footage from it's native H.264 into dnxhd for editing. You can then transcode the rendered video into x264 for Youtube. There are a few guides for Cinelerra on how to do that. Let me know if you need help (assuming you use Linux).

Regarding an iPad, I'm not so sure. There may be video editors out there, but the question remains of transferring the files to it. I doubt it supports OTG-USB, and there's no SD card reader. Plus, processing power for rendering would be lacking.

Also, do yourself a favor and pick up a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009QZH7BU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]32GB SD card[/ame] (max supported for the Contour). It comes with a 4GB card, which I use as a spare, but that's like... an hour at the lowest settings.

Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase. I much prefer this form factor over the GoPro. It's easier to mount anywhere with the rotating lens. I bought a few mounts for it as well:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AT3EEU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com : Contour 2755 Flex Strap Mount for Contour Cameras : Camcorders : Camera & Photo[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EWTJU6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com : ARKON CMP205 Motorcycle and Bicycle Handle Bar Mount with 5 Inch flexible extension for Cameras with 1/4 20 screw thread : Tripod Camera Mounts : Camera & Photo[/ame] (kinda wobbly with the arm, vibrate-y without it. Working on the audio quality. The FZ8 causes a very loud buzz above 6-7k)

bpassmore8

That looks like a sketchy ride to do daily. Maybe our road in California are wider but the other drivers didn't seem to go out of their way to give you room to split. You had to thread the needle the whole way

eru000

That looks like a sketchy ride to do daily. Maybe our road in California are wider but the other drivers didn't seem to go out of their way to give you room to split. You had to thread the needle the whole way

It can be pretty sketchy, but you get used to it fairly quickly. I consider it great training that many other people don't get. I've learned a lot about myself and my bike in the couple years of riding in NYC.

Woody146

Banned
I've had it for a few weeks now, and my girlfriend just bought her own on Woot as well. The quality can go from amazing to crappy depending on your settings and how much battery/space you want to use. I usually set it at 720p/30fps high bitrate. I get just over an hour per 4GB and about 3.5 hours total battery. If you increase or decrease quality, it'll change those values.

The video on this thread was shot in 1080p/30fps/high as a test, and and it definitely looks better than 720p on high. The difference between 1080/720 on high bitrate is about 5 more MB per minute (~77 vs ~72). I'm testing tonight what the difference in battery life is between settings (I'll report here when done). If you set it to 720p/60fps (60fps is only available at 720p), it obviously doubles the space and uses more battery.

Keep in mind there's a different FOV for each resolution. 1080p has 120 degrees FOV and 960/720 has 170.

Audio quality is not that great at speed. But that's to be expected for any action cam with wind noise. I cover my microphone in a little piece of velcro (foam supposedly works better, I just don't have any) to help with wind noise. Here's a sample of the audio. You can also mod the device to allow for an external microphone, but you might as well just get a cheap digital audio recorder and dub the audio in post (which I might do eventually).

As far as editing, I have a Linux machine at home, so I use Cinelerra. I'm pretty happy with it. It can be a little buggy, but it works pretty well. I've also used OpenShot, but I didn't like it. On my Windows work machine, I use Lightworks, but it's got a huge learning curve (it's a pro-quality editor), and I still don't know it very well. I prefer to do it at home in Cinelerra. It really helps to transcode the raw footage from it's native H.264 into dnxhd for editing. You can then transcode the rendered video into x264 for Youtube. There are a few guides for Cinelerra on how to do that. Let me know if you need help (assuming you use Linux).

Regarding an iPad, I'm not so sure. There may be video editors out there, but the question remains of transferring the files to it. I doubt it supports OTG-USB, and there's no SD card reader. Plus, processing power for rendering would be lacking.

Also, do yourself a favor and pick up a 32GB SD card (max supported for the Contour). It comes with a 4GB card, which I use as a spare, but that's like... an hour at the lowest settings.

Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase. I much prefer this form factor over the GoPro. It's easier to mount anywhere with the rotating lens. I bought a few mounts for it as well:

Amazon.com : Contour 2755 Flex Strap Mount for Contour Cameras : Camcorders : Camera & Photo

Amazon.com : ARKON CMP205 Motorcycle and Bicycle Handle Bar Mount with 5 Inch flexible extension for Cameras with 1/4 20 screw thread : Tripod Camera Mounts : Camera & Photo (kinda wobbly with the arm, vibrate-y without it. Working on the audio quality. The FZ8 causes a very loud buzz above 6-7k)
Sweet thanks for all the info!! I can't wait to get it and start moto vlogging LOL! I think im just going to use the 1080 as yours looks amazing to me..(even raw,,I watched 15 mins before I got bored lol) only downfall of this cam seems to be the mic..yours was not nearly as bad as some of the others on the tube. Guess 3 layers of electrical tape cures this? According to the Russians lol..I don't want to tear it apart and add a different mic (which is doable pretty easily but voids warranty)

Looks like I will be able to upload direct to ipad from camera with lightning cable and edit through iMovie. I don't have a computer only ipad but I may go buy a cheapo if I can't edit or upload on this stupid tablet

32 gig #10 or whatever
Moto mount pack (possibly..really only want the bar strap)
Ar 15 mount
Possibly waterproof case ( only if it cuts down wind noise)
And I should be good to go

Last edited:

eru000

The best solution for the wind noise (other than the external mic) is to use that sticky-back foam. The two layers of Velcro on mine helps, but it could be better. If you want to do Moto-vlogging, defintely get a separate voice recorder with a wired mic. The camera won't pick up your voice nearly well enough.

Woody146

Banned
Well..just riding around with a camera..I call it moto vlogging lol...will do with the sticky foam/ tape..maybe I'll experiment with different things and see what works

eru000

Well..just riding around with a camera..I call it moto vlogging lol...will do with the sticky foam/ tape..maybe I'll experiment with different things and see what works

Ha, understood. Go for it, man. Post some videos once you get it done.

Rotaryknight

nice video.
I already have a contour Roam the original but with modded Roam 2 firmware on it. I also bought the Roam 2 on woot after seeing the deal. I cant resist getting another action cam. I already have 7 cameras lol I mount the Contour on the shocks with the rotating Flex strap

One thing I hate about NYC, traffic and pot holes....them pot holes.....

Last edited:

eru000

nice video.
I already have a contour Roam the original but with modded Roam 2 firmware on it. I also bought the Roam 2 on woot after seeing the deal. I cant resist getting another action cam. I already have 7 cameras lol I mount the Contour on the shocks with the rotating Flex strap

One thing I hate about NYC, traffic and pot holes....them pot holes.....

****in' potholes man. At least our two-wheelers are able to maneuver around them easier.

I love the front fork mounting position. Check out one of my other videos I use that and a few other spots (might give you some inspiration :D): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrY1ruH_GoQ

Rotaryknight

Love the rear view on the right side of the bike. Seeing how the rear tire moves up and down.....we need a stiffer shock lol

eru000

Love the rear view on the right side of the bike. Seeing how the rear tire moves up and down.....we need a stiffer shock lol

Yeah, it's one of my favorites. My girlfriend just picked up a second ROAM2 and I can't wait to record with one in each direction on the suspension. It'd be a very interesting watch.