MOTOMFG Paddock Stand Ordered

JRunner

Hi All...

I just ordered the MOTOMFG Paddock Stand (with casters option) for the FZ8. Although not listed on the site, they have adapter plates, which are the only unique part of the stand for the application, for more bikes than they have listed on their site. Actually they are sending me the FZ1 adapter plate which supposedly will match right up since it uses the same frame as the FZ8. I am the test for them, but we are both pretty sure its gonna work.

This makes any maintenance a breeze and allows me to move the bike anywhere in the garage with ease as I opted for the casters option. This was the primary reason for purchasing it and felt that it was a better solution than the dual front and rear stands that you find with casters or the "Park-n-Move" product that goes under a center stand (which I don't have) equipped bikes.

Not many manufacturers are making this type of front and rear stand with casters, with the exception of Redline Stands. They have these on clearance if anyone is interested (179.00 USD for both front and rear caster stands with about 30.00 USD delivery, so 210.00 USD to your door). They are on clearance as they only have so many pairs left and are looking to sell out and no longer make them since they don't sell well for the price they really need to charge for them. So they are letting them go for less on clearance and have no plans to continue production.

Aside from having to have two stands to lift your bike instead of one, the front stand from Redline uses a pin mount that goes into your front fork and may interfere with the crimp bolt that is on one side of your front fork. I checked it on the FZ8 and its pretty much right there under the fork right inside the hole. So it seems if I were to use the front stand, the pin would interfere with the crimp bolt and it clearly states in the manual for the stands that this bolt may need to be removed to avoid improper contact and lifting. This is something I don't want to have to be bothered with on daily usage of the bike and stand. This was another reason why I looked towards the MOTOMFG stand as a better alternative. Plus the fact I have less space utilized to lift the bike compared to using two stands front and rear.

The only other paddock stand I can compare this to in quality and function is the Bursig Stand, made in Germany. I priced that out at 675.00 USD (with casters) delivered and the MOTOMFG is at 440.00 USD (with casters and a 10% discount just for asking) delivered, so this is a way better buy IMO.

Anyway here is the site and there are videos on YouTube as well.

MOTOMFG.COM

Last edited:

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
If this thing works Im gonna be all over one. I work on my bike about as much as I ride it, so this would be a god-send.

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
did you get yours yet? Really curious how it works. The lift I have wont work on the FZ and it would make working on it a lot nicer!

JRunner

did you get yours yet? Really curious how it works. The lift I have wont work on the FZ and it would make working on it a lot nicer!

This weekend I'm attempting to set it up. The stand requires some installation \ setup... just no time to do it :)

I will let you know.

JRunner

Update...

Just wanted to let you guys know that I had some issues installing the stand the other day over the weekend. But it was just bad instructions since they were not for the FZ1 but rather a different brand cycle. Hopefully if they sell any more of these to other FZ8 owners they include the right instructions (FZ1) with the stands.

The problem had to do with a part (a long collar type sleeve that accepts the pin from the paddock stand) that you attach as a permanent part to your bike. The collar should be attached with the bolt that you remove from the rear top frame \ engine mount, that you are told to remove and reinsert from the opposite side, so that the nut is on the chain side instead of its original location on the exhaust side. This is wrong and physically will not work since the nut will not fit inside the collar. The instructions should have said to simply remove the bolt and insert the collar into frame along with the bolt in the same position as it was originally, along with the nut securing it as it was on the exhaust side. This should work as the head of the bolt should fit inside the collar.

Anyway... another update this weekend hopefully after I repeat the above steps the right way. I had to abort the install of the collar when the instructions didn't work as described. Motomfg got back to me real quick though on Monday morning about the issue.

The second pic below shows the bolt going in the wrong way into the collar sleeve as described in the instructions. It should go the opposite way. The first pic was just to show that the nut will not fit inside the collar sleeve to tighten the bolt once installed on the bike.

Last edited:

JRunner

Still in the process of installing. After finding some time I was able to get the bolt installed the right way with the collar that stays on the bike. But then I came upon the issue with the adapter plate supplied... apparently it doesn't fit the FZ8 like it does the FZ1. They are going to be sending me a new one that has a bit more adjustability. More results to come.

Last edited:

EugeneORFZ8

I just received the MotoMFg Paddock FZ8 stand yesterday and it installed/worked perfectly. It went together in minutes and was really very simple. I have Sato Rear Sets and was a little worried since the height is different than the factory sets, but the stand has so much adjustability that it wasn't an issue. I highly recommend this. I'll attach some photos later today.

JRunner

How were you so lucky? My lower pin wouldn't come up high enough to work. That is why I'm waiting on a new adapter plate with more adjustment in the up position.

EugeneORFZ8

I'm assuming they made a few changes based on your issues. Thanks for being the test subject.

JRunner

Well not sure how that's possible as I just told them about the issue over this past weekend. Yours was probably already in transit. Only thing I can think of is my adapter plate was the wrong one.

EugeneORFZ8

Do you want me to take a few detailed photos of the mount and a measurement on the sizing bolt? I didn't have any issues? Weird??

JRunner

Thanks for the offer, but lets just see what they send me for a new part. I am going to call them and ask whats going on. See if they know why you were good and I wasn't.

JRunner

Finally got the stand on. The new adapter plate worked. However I had to add a washer in the top mount, behind it, so that it would stick out a hair more to allow the cotter pin to move in and out freely. Without it I could not get the cotter pin in. Not sure if anyone else had this issue. Perhaps the machining process was a bit off?

Once I got the holes lined up with the fix above, I found that you must use the cotter pin before you lift the bike otherwise the top mount will ride out of the hole misaligning the holes again. Not to mention having the top mount move out of the collar on the bike wouldn't be a good idea for stability purposes especially without the cotter pin in.

Quick question about the bike lean. It seems the bike leans towards the right side when looking from behind the bike toward the front. Is this normal? This is while the bike is on the stand. Looks like the pic below from one of their vids show the lean, so it must be normal. See below.

Overall I am very pleased with the stand. Took a few hurtles to get it on finally... which were no fun and aggravating. Wrong instructions, wrong adapter plate, and perhaps some tolerances were off on the top pin. Maneuverability is not as effortless as the vids make it seem. At least not on my garage floor which I consider to be pretty clean and smooth. Takes some fighting to move it where you want. Still better than having to move it normally without the stand. Really will come in handy when its time for service or maintenance, etc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 438

Damn JRunner, you're the first one that tried to get this thing going and you had to wait 'til now to have it somewhat sorted out. Looks like a great product, though.

JRunner

Damn JRunner, you're the first one that tried to get this thing going and you had to wait 'til now to have it somewhat sorted out. Looks like a great product, though.

True... but most of the delay was my availability to proceed with the steps after each hiccup. Life is just too busy :hbwall: Had the instructions been right the first time, with the right adapter plate and the right spacing for the cotter pin to travel through the holes, I would have been done on day 1. The first two issues the company quickly helped me get through and the last one I solved on my own.

Last edited: