Lost between gears /: ... Shifting question

Nstr_FZ8

Shifting should be executed in a natural way. And this is how it seems it goes when I ride. I shift gears up and down smoothly. But sometimes I see myself lost between gears. Meaning I dont know what gear I'm on in a certain point.

EXAMPLE: I approach a stop-sign and I slow down, thinking I'm on 2nd, but in reality im on 3rd or maybe even 4th.

¿Is this uncertainty of not knowing what gear im on eventually gonna go away when I get more XP?
¿Does this or has this ever happened to anybody?

Also.. ¿Is this plain and simple shitty-riding? Lol

Bajaedition

Shifting should be executed in a natural way. And this is how it seems it goes when I ride. I shift gears up and down smoothly. But sometimes I see myself lost between gears. Meaning I dont know what gear I'm on in a certain point.

EXAMPLE: I approach a stop-sign and I slow down, thinking I'm on 2nd, but in reality im on 3rd or maybe even 4th.

¿Is this uncertainty of not knowing what gear im on eventually gonna go away when I get more XP?
¿Does this or has this ever happened to anybody?

Also.. ¿Is this plain and simple shitty-riding? Lol
actually it happens to everyone
just with more experience it happens less and less
one way to prevent it is to keep checking what RPM you are in at different speeds in different gears. Once familiar with the bike a quick glance will tell you what gear you are in. (tachs are so useful if you use them for information, not just a toy to watch)

master paper clip

Just get into a habit of counting gears, or learn to down shift really fast, or baha's idea works great also... I know if I'm around 4grand at 60mph I'm in final gear... Other then that I do my best to keep track of my count

Bajaedition

I have a gear indicator on my ZZR. I guess for price point it was not put on the FZ8. But I have seen a kit to add it sold somewhere and it is a nice feature.
It is really nice on the ZZR, having 1200 ccs can be like having a automatic transmission sometimes you can use the middle gears so broadly in the twisties.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
There's a certain amount of "feel" that you'll get acclimated to as well. Like, when you get to 6, you'll think "Hey, I think I'm in 6th" and then you'll try to shift to 7th, but of course you'll hit the stop. After a while, if you pay attention to it, it'll grow on you.

FazerSetToStun

I've only been riding for about 5 months and asked my roommate that has been riding for close to 3 years now and he said that he doesn't count and gets lost at times but using your tach as mentioned above helps. In my opinion i don't necessarily think you need to know what gear you're in. I guess that is a question i could ask as well is there an importance of knowing what gear you are in at all times?