Loss of Power - Sputtering

Blinkgold311

Ok, so the other day when I went to ride to work, I noticed that when I got on the gas a little, the bike bogged way down and started sputtering. When I gave it a little throttle it was fine, but when I gave about 25% or more, it did the same thing. Thought it was just cold, but it did it the entire way to and from work.

I hadn't replaced the sparkplugs for a number of miles, so I did that and it helped maybe a little, but the problem is still their.

Reading on another forum, someone else had a similar problem related to an ignition coil, so I took some resistance readings on all of my coils, and one was very slightly (1k ohm lower, all others were 9.2 kohm) lower. So I just dropped 75$ to buy a new one. Did I just waste a bunch of money?

Other things I did:
Reflashed my PCV, reset my PCV, loaded new maps (Default)

9 Lives

Disconnect your pcv and hook up the original connections. That will narrow it down to a pcv problem or something wrong with the bike itself

Blinkgold311

Disconnect your pcv and hook up the original connections. That will narrow it down to a pcv problem or something wrong with the bike itself

Ok... definitely a bike problem... spent the whole day removing the dang airbox, checking the AIS, and throttle system. Still not sure... banking on the coil pack being bad.

9 Lives

If the coil doesn't fix the problem, check your TPS, there is a self diagnostic mode for your TPS. I don't have the shop manual handy but the code and procedure is in the manual. You may have a dead spot in the sensor. When you go into the diagnostic mode for your TPS the voltage reading will be displayed on your display. Slowly open the throttle and the reading should go from around .5 volts to near 5 volts at WOT. If it drops to all a sudden then jumps up again while you are opening the throttle, the sensor is bad.

Last edited:

Derek662

My bike does something similar it will start an idle but if I give it gas it dies instantly. Let me know what you figure it.

Blinkgold311

Got the replacement coil pack installed today. Bike ran like a dream. Can't believe that was the issue, but hey! It worked!

Blinkgold311

Did you test your coil packs? I can give directions if needed. All you need is a multi-meter.

ok, so check out this video: YAMAHA R6 SPARK PLUG COIL TEST: HOW-TO - YouTube

it has how to do it, although this isn't me, this guy must be a gangster... all in all, just look for the "one that is different". For me, most secondary resistance readings were really close, but one was out about 1k ohm. This made all of the difference and didn't let one cylinder fire.

Derek662

ok, so check out this video: YAMAHA R6 SPARK PLUG COIL TEST: HOW-TO - YouTube

it has how to do it, although this isn't me, this guy must be a gangster... all in all, just look for the "one that is different". For me, most secondary resistance readings were really close, but one was out about 1k ohm. This made all of the difference and didn't let one cylinder fire.

So can we pull our coils out the same way. I was going to pull the radiator lol but if I can do that way that's a ton easier

Blinkgold311

You don't need to pull the radiator, but you do need to drop it by removing the one or two bolts that hold it up. To remove the coil packs, disconnect the harness and twist and pull the pack out.