Like a Different Bike for Only $200

jmsandy77

Like a New Bike for Only $200

Hi All,
I completed a set of relatively easy power upgrades to my bike today and simply put the combination of them is fantastic for what I spent. So, I wanted to share what I did with all of you. New grips, R6 throttle tube, Lars Air Box Mod, K&N Air Filter, and a Turbo Joe Tuned Flashed ECU.

Before I go any further note that the (roughly) $200 I spent does not include the cost of a slip on. These range from $150-600+ and there are a bunch of options out there.

Grips---For me the stock ones were too hard and too small. For $11 I purchased a set of Pro Grips 714BK's. They have a slightly larger diameter and feel like a gel in the hands. Super comfortable with all the small air pockets they have integrated into the grip.

Throttle Tube---Ours takes a 1/4 turn to reach WOT (wide open throttle). Again, for me, this was too much and I found myself needing to reset my grip when I really wanted to get on it. For $10 I purchased a Motion Pro 01-0094 Throttle Tube made for an '03-'06 R6. This is plug and play and perfectly compatible with our bike without any modification. It reduced the turn to reach WOT to 1/5 turn. That's a 20% decrease in turn to WOT. May not sound like much but it's fantastic. The bike should have come this way. Much better throttle response. The combination of the slightly larger grip with the reduced turn tube is the best mod you can do (IMO) for around $20.

Turbo Joe Tuned ECU---Simply put, amazing. Joe owns an FZ8 and a Dyno Shop. So he had unlimited dyno time to develop the map for our bike. Spoke with him over the phone and I was sold. He said that with a slip on, K&N and the Air Box mod his map was putting out 101-102 hp to the wheels on the dyno! This is significantly more than a PCV with the Jumbo map that was dynoed at 97. And he has a separate map if you've got the full Graves exhaust that dynos at 109 rwhp! The best part is Joe only charges $100 for his flash. Shipping (with $600 of Insurance) only cost $15 each way. His tune included the following:

Map per gear for fuel and ignition timing (91+ octane)
Higher rev
Lower fan operating temp
Injector cut disabled
Air pump disable (AIS no longer working)
Dyno tuned each gear

His turn around time was only 1 day. From the day I took the ECU out til receiving it was Sat-Th.

Lars Air Box Mod---Cost here was nothing. While I had the air box out and was waiting for the ECU to return it was the perfect time to do this. All you're doing here is essentially making the very small and restrictive air intake hole in the air box larger. Google "Lars Air Box Mod FZ8" and it pops right up as an Instructables.

Finally I dropped a K&N in the air box while I was waiting too. Dug around online and found it for $53 shipped. Model # YA-1006. This item goes without explanation.

If you're still reading this you're obviously interested. DO IT! If you already have a slip on and haven't done the above I can't imagine a better way to spend $200 on your bike to transform it power wise. To me it is like night and day.

Holler if you have questions...

Last edited:

Nemo

does the air mob is really something that make a difference ? im not feeling like destroying my bike :p especialy that i might sell it in 2 years ... is the ecu by itself + 2bro slip on would make a difference !?

jmsandy77

Nemo it's the combination of doing all the things together that makes a difference. And, if you do it right you're not destroying anything.

Zenfist

What do these mods do to your mileage? Honestly, I am satisfied with the power at the moment, but who knows in the future? Thanks for this post.

jmsandy77

What do these mods do to your mileage? Honestly, I am satisfied with the power at the moment, but who knows in the future? Thanks for this post.

It's a little to early to tell as I just completed this today but I'll make sure to give an update post in the next couple of weeks.

BigD

Hi All,
I completed a set of relatively easy power upgrades to my bike today and simply put the combination of them is fantastic for what I spent. So, I wanted to share what I did with all of you. New grips, R6 throttle tube, Lars Air Box Mod, K&N Air Filter, and a Turbo Joe Tuned Flashed ECU.

Before I go any further note that the (roughly) $200 I spent does not include the cost of a slip on. These range from $150-600+ and there are a bunch of options out there.

Grips---For me the stock ones were too hard and too small. For $11 I purchased a set of Pro Grips 714BK's. They have a slightly larger diameter and feel like a gel in the hands. Super comfortable with all the small air pockets they have integrated into the grip.

Throttle Tube---Ours takes a 1/4 turn to reach WOT (wide open throttle). Again, for me, this was too much and I found myself needing to reset my grip when I really wanted to get on it. For $10 I purchased a Motion Pro 01-0094 Throttle Tube made for an '03-'06 R6. This is plug and play and perfectly compatible with our bike without any modification. It reduced the turn to reach WOT to 1/5 turn. That's a 20% decrease in turn to WOT. May not sound like much but it's fantastic. The bike should have come this way. Much better throttle response. The combination of the slightly larger grip with the reduced turn tube is the best mod you can do (IMO) for around $20.

Turbo Joe Tuned ECU---Simply put, amazing. Joe owns an FZ8 and a Dyno Shop. So he had unlimited dyno time to develop the map for our bike. Spoke with him over the phone and I was sold. He said that with a slip on, K&N and the Air Box mod his map was putting out 101-102 hp to the wheels on the dyno! This is significantly more than a PCV with the Jumbo map that was dynoed at 97. And he has a separate map if you've got the full Graves exhaust that dynos at 109 rwhp! The best part is Joe only charges $100 for his flash. Shipping (with $600 of Insurance) only cost $15 each way. His tune included the following:

Higher rev
Lower fan operating temp
Injector cut disabled
Dyno tuned each gear

His turn around time was only 1 day. From the day I took the ECU out til receiving it was Sat-Th.

Lars Air Box Mod---Cost here was nothing. While I had the air box out and was waiting for the ECU to return it was the perfect time to do this. All you're doing here is essentially making the very small and restrictive air intake hole in the air box larger. Google "Lars Air Box Mod FZ8" and it pops right up as an Instructables.

Finally I dropped a K&N in the air box while I was waiting too. Dug around online and found it for $53 shipped. Model # YA-1006. This item goes without explanation.

If you're still reading this you're obviously interested. DO IT! If you already have a slip on and haven't done the above I can't imagine a better way to spend $200 on your bike to transform it power wise. To me it is like night and day.

It's so annoying how nothing like Joe's map is available in the Uk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody146

Banned
Hi All,

Higher rev
Lower fan operating temp
Injector cut disabled
Dyno tuned each gear

I am running joes "109" hp flash...it only makes 97 hp...I would advise get your bike dynoed and find out for yourself..a power commander will get a bit more juice and it will be able to be tuned while on the dyno

jmsandy77

Woody,
That's too bad to hear. Joe seems like an honest guy. Not sure what the disconnect is there? Good looking out though. The heads up is appreciated.

dtbrown

I am running joes "109" hp flash...it only makes 97 hp...I would advise get your bike dynoed and find out for yourself..a power commander will get a bit more juice and it will be able to be tuned while on the dyno

Didn't you get yours dyno on a regular car dyno? From my understanding a motorcycle dyno will typically be a bit higher then a car dyno due to the roller has less mass.

either way everybody that has invested in turbo joe tune have all seen a difference. So for less than $150 it's a very good investment for noticeable power gain.

jmsandy77

Didn't you get yours dyno on a regular car dyno? From my understanding a motorcycle dyno will typically be a bit higher then a car dyno due to the roller has less mass.

either way everybody that has invested in turbo joe tune have all seen a difference. So for less than $150 it's a very good investment for noticeable power gain.

Dtbrown,
You're post in regards to your experience is what pushed me over the edge to go with Joe. Just got back from a nice long ride up the coast and am loving what I'm feeling.

Woody146

Banned

I'm not saying it's a bad tune..it just sucks when you think you have 109 and then dyno it and she only pumps out 97 (same # s as jumbo map btw)

After the reflash, I added a power commander, and have 100 even and notice that 3 hp

Joe is an awesome guy..and I'm not saying he is dishonest at all..I'm just simply saying I don't have that much power

And from the videos I have seen, it looks like joe uses a car dyno
http://youtu.be/bPfVGFNiLD4

Last edited:

Darksabre

thanks for the review on this one. how is the on/off throttle jerkiness? did it smooth it out any. Any changes to the engine braking? Mine judders pretty bad with closed throttle and low speeds, which makes my new exhaust sound pretty silly when engine braking.

I'm really just looking to smooth out my throttle response and engine braking.

Rotaryknight

I'm not saying it's a bad tune..it just sucks when you think you have 109 and then dyno it and she only pumps out 97 (same # s as jumbo map btw)

After the reflash, I added a power commander, and have 100 even and notice that 3 hp

Joe is an awesome guy..and I'm not saying he is dishonest at all..I'm just simply saying I don't have that much power

And from the videos I have seen, it looks like joe uses a car dyno
http://youtu.be/bPfVGFNiLD4

Not every Dyno will post the same numbers. It depends on a lot of different variables. You can make constant 100rwhp on one dyno and 90rwhp on another. Consistency is the key for dynos. Woody, you ever dynoed the bike when it was stock? Jumbos map on your bike made the same HP? The tuning must be almost the same. I think it was Fazed that said that ignition tuning rarely brings out any hp, most of the HP increase is from adjusting fuel for the mods that you have.

Last edited:

Woody146

Banned
Not every Dyno will post the same numbers. It depends on a lot of different variables. You can make constant 100rwhp on one dyno and 90rwhp on another. Consistency is the key for dynos. Woody, you ever dynoed the bike when it was stock? Jumbos map on your bike made the same HP? The tuning must be almost the same. I think it was Fazed that said that ignition tuning rarely brings out any hp, most of the HP increase is from adjusting fuel for the mods that you have.

No..never did stock..and no..I never loaded the jumbo map..I have my own map made on the same dyno by the same tuner.

jmsandy77

thanks for the review on this one. how is the on/off throttle jerkiness? did it smooth it out any. Any changes to the engine braking? Mine judders pretty bad with closed throttle and low speeds, which makes my new exhaust sound pretty silly when engine braking.

I'm really just looking to smooth out my throttle response and engine braking.

I had the same thing going on before the flash. Bike is butter now. Engine braking has decreased slightly. I went on a 140 mile ride yesterday through the twisties from desert to mountains and really got to see the difference. I also gutted the cat over the weekend. Another free mod. Just took a couple hours and some patience. The combination of all these (mostly free or relatively cheap) mods have made a fantastic overall improvement to the bike. And the bike was great to begin with. Rideability is right where I was hoping it'd be.

Just picked up an FZ1 rear shock with under 2k on it for $65. That'll be the next little project. Ballin on a budget lol.