Just Bought a clean, stock, 2012 FZ8. With 6000 miles. What should I expect maintenance wise?

Kenny

New to the "Street Fighter" scene. My last bike was a 1999 CBR 900 RR. I sold it back in 2006. Fast, but not that comfortable on long trips. Loving my FZ8! Not quite as fast but I love the upright seating and it's actually funer to rip around on. Allready started Customizing it. Couldn't get the rear fairing to come off, I took out the 2 top bolts under seat and the 6 push pins under the tail but it seemed to be hanging up under the taillight. Did I miss something? Plus it's been 3 weeks since I bought it and today the clutch started doing that ticking thing. Any other advice about the biket would be helpful. Thanks!

Mikz86ta

Welcome.
Look up on instructables.com, there is a step by step with pics on taking the tail off to do a LED Integrated brake lamp swap. That will show u what to remove.

How many miles on it and what's the prior service records?

What mods have u done?

What are you looking to do?

mikeherdes

Couldn't get the rear fairing to come off, I took out the 2 top bolts under seat and the 6 push pins under the tail but it seemed to be hanging up under the taillight. Did I miss something?

Did you also remove the two plastic screws on the fairing towards the riders seat? They are similar to the push pins, but you'll need a Phillips.

Kenny

Yes, I had those out too. It was completely free except under the tail light, where the fairing meets the under pan. Maybe I should remove the under pan first?

Kenny

It had 6000 miles when I bought it, now it's at 7000. It was bone stock and garage kept. I slapped on a carbon Yoshimura pipe, grips, levers and bar end mirrors. I have my targa fender eliminator kit but I'm waiting for my led tail light with built in signals to arrive so I can do it all at once.

Mikz86ta

Spark plugs at 9k I believe. I usd the stock replacement NGK. Look into the AIS block off kit and do that with the plugs.....since they are in same location.
Not sure about the oil change history, I would do it.

Kenny

I don't know a whole lot about flashing the ecu, do I need to take it to a dealer? How much do they charge to flash it? The Only performance upgrade was the Yoshimura pipe, and I'm sure it's a minor increase in power. What if I just leave it as is?

Rhyno54

You don't have to take it to dealer to re-flash your ECU, the performance enhancement is well worth the money, if your mechanically inclined you can remove the ECU by yourself, it would be located under the gas tank and air box which would take an hour or so to remove if you have the tools. Or you can take it to a dealership and have them remove for a small fee, Yamaha charged me just over a hundy for time and labor. I would highly reccommend it, you'll definitely feel a difference in the power, delivery and overall performance of the bike, there many members here who have had their ECU flash and would say it's the best performance mod for the money, many here go with Turbo Joe, he's a tuner and owns an FZ8 and has many tunes available depending on what mods are done to your bike, it really wakes the bike up also consider a R6 throttle tube mod. Joe charges $300.00 to do the flash, there are archives in this forum about his flash tune, so that would be good place to look, his contact information is in there, you basically tell him what mods are done to your bike ship him the ECU he reflashes it and sends it back, you install it and ride, just don't forget to unplug the wire to the O2 sensor and zip tie it to the kick stand wire, you won't get the full effects of the tune if you don't unplug the O2 sensor wire. It's well worth it, in the mod section in this forum there are reviews of his flash from other members to get a better idea of what members have done to their bikes, you won't regret it.

Mikz86ta

Unfortunately I don't know if my ECM was ever flashed. Previous owner did a PCV, gutted cat, slip-on exhaust, AIS block offs and more.
I would like to get a custom flash one day. From what I hear, even a stock bike will net performance gains and better fell with it.

Mikz86ta

Above mentioned the R6 throttle tube. Recommend
I did it and it's more of a comfort upgrade than performance. Read up on it. Cheap like less than $20 from dealer. I got a 2014 R6 tube...like 07-up is all the same. Has a faster ramp rate for throttle opening. The reason I say, comfort upgrade, is because it allows you to hold the throttle less angle on your wrist while cruising at speed on the highway. And while you do that, spend the $15 on some Pro Grips. They feel much better, feel thicker, seem to eliminate some vibrations to your hand, etc. Stock grips simply suck and are thin.

Rhyno54

do you know if the previous owner had an autotuner with the PCV? if your not sure if a map has been downloaded from the PCV, but i would seriously contact TurboJoe he might have a map for that setup or go to the mod section of this forum for technical advice, there are members here that have the same setup as yours, so you'll have no problem getting suggestions.

Mikz86ta

do you know if the previous owner had an autotuner with the PCV? if your not sure if a map has been downloaded from the PCV, but i would seriously contact TurboJoe he might have a map for that setup or go to the mod section of this forum for technical advice, there are members here that have the same setup as yours, so you'll have no problem getting suggestions.

Yes buddy, I have no idea. I bought it used at a dealership and only had a brief conversation with the guy. He was a member here I do know. But otherwise I don't have contact info. And the dealer knew very little about the bikes mods.
I have the DynoJet app on my phone. But have yet to connect it to the PCV. I have a few maps saved including the one from DJ for the TwoBros slip on.

Rhyno54

How do you know if the cats been gutted? If it's been gutted you basically have a poor man's full exhaust system, the previous owner probably has a K&N or BMC air filter installed. Do you notice a slight drop in power from about 4500-5500 rpm then have it pick up again afterwards? So have you downloaded a map yet?

Mikz86ta

How do you know if the cats been gutted? If it's been gutted you basically have a poor man's full exhaust system, the previous owner probably has a K&N or BMC air filter installed. Do you notice a slight drop in power from about 4500-5500 rpm then have it pick up again afterwards? So have you downloaded a map yet?

I removed the TwoBros and cut it shorter. I seen it was gutted then.
I'm about to check the filter tomorrow just as maintenance. I'm certain it's got something other than stock. Had a K&N oil filter when I got it.
I have not had time to do anything with maps yet

Rhyno54

Ok cool, since you have a PCV you'll be able to download alot of different maps to suit the closest mods you have done to your bike.

Kenny

I got it off, it was the two screws inside the back of the fairing that are impossible to get to. I think I was supposed to take the two screws on the tail light holder off but I did it the hard way.