Jackets - HOT WEATHER

hypo

I just moved to Texas from VA where I've ridden in 35 degree temps. I know how to layer, and I appreciate armor. So when I got here, and felt how damn hot it gets, I knew I needed a different choice of jacket (read VENTILATED.) I also strayed away from the sexy BLACK jacket because it was over 80 degrees in the month of MARCH here so I wanted to reflect the heat, not absorb it.

it came down to budget, quality as well as looks for me, and even though I know my wife loves her Alpinestars leathers, I hated the look of their jacket so I didn't even try it on.

I tried the TEKNIC Supervent cuz they look so cool, but the zippers are crap and the fit is for a younger model (I have earned a bit of a gut.)

I tried the SHIFT AIRBORNE and almost went with it, except the armor/padding felt very very emaciated/weak/thin. good ventilation though and I'm sure the armor could be upgraded.

I tried the Joe Rocket Phoenix 5 and went with it. good zippers, good collar, great ventilation, armor/padding that stayed in place and felt thick and strong.

CADMAN

Good choice. I've riden the last two years with a Phoenix 4.0. Summers in Georgia get hot too. Great ventilation, sturdy feel and good fit for those of us with a mature (I'm 52) build.

DarkTemplars

Southern GA here. I've been wearing an ICON Contra Mil-spec jacket. The vents are effective at lower speeds and its bright as s#$t so people can see you easier.

C

Camo

Bit of a bump but I just bought a bit of new gear and was mighty impressed with the jacket!

I bought the Icon Overlord textile jacket. It's light, great fit and appears to be a jacket I'll wear now (end of winter)and through summer.
Armour is unobtrusive and stays where it's supposed to, airflow is perfect and comes with a removable thermal vest that works fairly well on the chilli early morning blast down the local twisty's.
The overall look of the jacket is low key and that suits me.

Would highly recommend.

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
I've been loving my Christmas present. My sister was thoughtful and got me a Fly 8th street jacket for the summer because I bought my bike back in October and only got a winter jacket at the time. It's plenty ventilated and the padding is everywhere I want it to be. The rain liner is pretty useless, though. I would get something that goes over your gear if you're worried about summer showers in the middle of a ride.

EDIT** As far as it being black: it really doesn't matter once you're moving. And, if you're sitting still while there's a breeze, it tames the heat absorption quite well.