Is it just me...

Ivy33

Why is it that every time you read about bikes in articles or on forums some folks try to put certain bikes down because they do 5 (or so) less mph than bike X or their 0-60 is 1 mph less than bike Y?

I (and most other riders that I've ever known) will never get our bikes to their actual top-end speed limits so why does such a small performance margin, relevant to (what seems to me) a very small segment of buyers so often become the major point of debate? It seems like enjoyability is a less-significant priority with some folks but, to me, it's the main reason why I may pick specific bikes.

It just seems like much of what I read is by racers, for racers, or a bunch of guys who like to throw around high numbers for braggin rights. What review writers should do IMHO is to get people who have only been riding for between 5 and 10 years to write reviews. This way I'd get more of a perspective from the average rider.

These mags just become less relevant to me the more I read them.

xpertsnowcarver

The Sneaky Butcher
I agree. Slight technical differences that wouldn't be noticed by the common rider.

I care most about reading an experienced rider's opinion on the feel of a bike and what it would be best used for. What one can expect when riding the bike. Etc.

H

Hoover

I never read the articles. I have bought almost every one of my bikes on one reason only...looks.
I dont care if it is 5hp less than the next one, I'll put a pipe on it anyway.
I dont care if it doesn't handle quite as sharp as the next one, I'll upgrade the suspension.
I don't care if it doesn't stop quite as well, I'll put steel lines and better pads on.

For the last 20 years or so, most bikes have come out of the box, at least somewhat decent, with a few exceptions.
They are all so close in performance that the deciding factor has to be appearance. Obviously the dollar figure comes into it but most similar models are pretty close in price..EXCEPT OURS!!! Which made the best looking one of the bunch, the cheapest. WINNER

C

calscrazy

let me know if you get your bike to top speed and for how long? top speeds are a waste of time. i know a guy who runs trackdays on an r6 and spanks all the 1000's out there.

C

Camo

Price, how the bike feels and looks.
In that order for me.
I probably would have bought a Street Triple R had they been cheaper but after I rode the FZ8, I knew that all the box's had been ticked and there was nothing any review or opinion could do to change my mind.
Like Hoover said, any short falls of the bike I encounter will be remedied.
I think if you listen to what every wannabe weekend GP rider says is the bike to be on, we'd all be riding super modified thousands and dragging knee on the way to work around round-a-bouts.

If it feels good, does what you need it to do and puts a smile on your face, you're on the right bike.

djcecil

all be riding super modified thousands and dragging knee on the way to work around round-a-bouts.

If it feels good, does what you need it to do and puts a smile on your face, you're on the right bike.

how bout partially modified 800, and the tires are still cold when i hit the round-a-bout, so i don't drag a knee.......:p

Black Widow

Avid Rider
This is how i ended up with a 2011 FZ8: Me and my son were in the Yamaha shop getting a filter for my Grizzly 550,as i was talking with the owner my son(14 years old) kept trying to interupt ,saying look at this bike Dad. Finally after finishing talking i looked at the bike he was drooling over and WOW, that is the sexiest,most sinister Bike i have seen. I looked at Mark(owner of the Yamaha dealer )and said,"must be expensive", he told me how much, i looked at the bike some more, sat on it and said, " I will be back to pick it up Tomorrow". I had no desire to get a streetbike nor had i ridden one before, untill i saw the Black FZ8. That trip to the dealer for a filter for my ATV cost me $8500, but changed my weekend ATV rides into weekends seeking out twisty roads(lots of them here in B.C mountain country) on my addictive FZ8. I thank my son for pointing it out to me on a daily basis. Ya, once in a while i take him for a ride, but that is the only downfall of the bike, it sucks for doubleing.

specops13

I am one of the minority atleast on the speed part. I will take mine eventually to it's limits. No matter what the articles may say. I Love my FZ8 for what it is and have in the past beat many lesser riders on bikes that should have kicked my Ass...:)

H

Hoover

I am one of the minority atleast on the speed part. I will take mine eventually to it's limits. No matter what the articles may say. I Love my FZ8 for what it is and have in the past beat many lesser riders on bikes that should have kicked my Ass...:)

I lived in Tampa for 2 years, there is not one road in Hillsborough County I would max any bike out on...that's a death wish :D:D
Worst drivers in the world...period.

specops13

Getting out of Dodge here in the Tampa Bay Area is a survival skill. There are lots of Great Roads for speed runs, just that they're all 50 miles away...

highoctane

Canyon Carver
This is how i ended up with a 2011 FZ8: Me and my son were in the Yamaha shop getting a filter for my Grizzly 550,as i was talking with the owner my son(14 years old) kept trying to interupt ,saying look at this bike Dad. Finally after finishing talking i looked at the bike he was drooling over and WOW, that is the sexiest,most sinister Bike i have seen. I looked at Mark(owner of the Yamaha dealer )and said,"must be expensive", he told me how much, i looked at the bike some more, sat on it and said, " I will be back to pick it up Tomorrow". I had no desire to get a streetbike nor had i ridden one before, untill i saw the Black FZ8. That trip to the dealer for a filter for my ATV cost me $8500, but changed my weekend ATV rides into weekends seeking out twisty roads(lots of them here in B.C mountain country) on my addictive FZ8. I thank my son for pointing it out to me on a daily basis. Ya, once in a while i take him for a ride, but that is the only downfall of the bike, it sucks for doubleing.

You and your boy have great taste in bikes, Like you when I first saw this bike I had to have it. just something about it!

H

Hoover

I was not even looking for another bike. I was taking a year off after selling my TL1000. The wife and I were riding our bicycles in our neighborhood and spotted an 8 parked in front of an apartment building.. I bought mine 3 days later. :D

Black Widow

Avid Rider
You and your boy have great taste in bikes, Like you when I first saw this bike I had to have it. just something about it!

People that have no interest in motorcycles at all (my wife being one of them), stop to take a double take at the bike and always comment positively about the look of it. There certainly is "something about it", never had any interest in a street bike before(45yrs old) and seen thousands of them. With my helmet and gear on , i can fool people into thinking i'm as bad and sexy as the bike LOL.

we had our local bike weekend here and yamaha had there test rides going. it was about 3 or so weeks after yamaha relaesed the bike i had heard nothing about it but when i spotted it across the parking lot i just had to have it and a few weeks later i had 1 of 3 early release fz8 in ontario!