Is fuel pump just plug and play?

dxMalicxb

So i was servicing my bike and buddy bumped tank back just enough to snap plastic nipple off of fuel pump on bottom of tank. And its the main fuel flow nipple as well. the wires were unplugged so no damage to ECU wires or anything. fuel line seems fine... stout little guy!!!
I was wondering if the fuel pump is just plug and play.. remove old one, install new one, plug in and good to go..... Any input on getting it out would be nice too. Any special twisting or turning to keep in mind when working it out of tank?

jmsandy77

So i was servicing my bike and buddy bumped tank back just enough to snap plastic nipple off of fuel pump on bottom of tank. And its the main fuel flow nipple as well. the wires were unplugged so no damage to ECU wires or anything. fuel line seems fine... stout little guy!!!
I was wondering if the fuel pump is just plug and play.. remove old one, install new one, plug in and good to go..... Any input on getting it out would be nice too. Any special twisting or turning to keep in mind when working it out of tank?

It is indeed plug and play. I had to lay my bike down last November and one of the items damaged was the tank. I purchased a new one and took the internals out of the old, dented tank a plopped them in the new one. Pull up a schematic on any parts website and it'll help you see what you're dealing with. Very easy to do and took all of 45 min (including removal of old tank and guts).

On a side note, are you sure you have to get a whole new pump and that the one that was damaged can't be repaired? How close to the pump did the nipple break? I'd be willing to bet that it can be (hopefully) as a new fuel pump will run you about $360.

Best of luck. Go talk to a mechanic or come up with some good 'ol enginuity to fix it.

jmsandy77

If you don't want to go the fix it route there's one on eBay right now for $94 and it came off a bike with only 3,000 miles! Just google part # 39P-13907-00-00 and it'll pop up.

dxMalicxb

i tried to repair it. only problem is when you drill it out to thread in a brass fitting with an o-ring on it, the drilled out whole has line up perfectly with the internal main fuel feed of the pump itself. Go too shallow and you won't have enough threading to get a good seal even with heating the brass. drill to deep and you hit the internal tube of the main fuel feed and have a gap from pump piece to base nipple thus losing pressure.
what i ended up doing was getting a used pump and throwing it in. however if it goes out i saved my previous pump so all i have to do is detach the base plate with the plugs and attachments and put it on my original pump and good to go. why can't they just make it easy and make the fuel feed nipple attachment on the pump replaceable by itself?