Install and Removal Options for Handlebar Grip End Damper Holder

pjviitas

First post...great to see a forum dedicated to such a great motorcycle.

I am having dilemma trying to decide what my next course of action should be concerning my bar end damper bushings.

The bike fell over in the wind resulting in the handlebar replacement (among other things needing replacement).

While trying to install a throttle lock yesterday I discovered that the shop butchered up the bar end damper bushings. The mushroomed metal is actually rubbing on the throttle tube...it doesn't seem to be a problem yet but over time it might be.

I have gone to the shop and they are willing to fix the problem however its the beginning of summer so the fix won't be happening anytime soon. They have ordered new bushings but maybe they should also be ordering a new bar if the old bushings won't come out (or they may not have the skills or equipment to properly remove the old ones and install the new ones)

With this in mind, I am wondering what the next best course of action would be:
1. Spend the summer with the bike in and out of the shop as they figure out what to do piecemeal (If they can't get the old ones out there may be more delays for getting a new bar etc)
2. Get them to order the parts and do the work myself (any tips on doing this properly would be much appreciated)
3. Abandon the OEM bar end damper bushings because they suck and get some aftermarket ones

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Best Regards, Hedgehog

Attachments

• IMG_20180512_081025.jpg
    IMG_20180512_081025.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20180512_124946.jpg
    IMG_20180512_124946.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 46