In your opinion, what are the best (cheap) mods?

nando

Hi All,

I have a 2012 FZ8 (half faired version) with the following:

- heated grips
- 12v socket
- hugger
- R&G crash bungs
- Akrapovic can
- scottoiler

I am happy with the bike, it is as reliable as an old comfortable walking boot but am wondering if there are any cheap mods that any of you think are definitely worthwhile doing to the bike that I am missing?

I have looked at things such as changing the front suspension for an R1 or FZ1, but the costs are prohibitive...£500 for suspension (using an older crashed bike version) and then up to £250 for installation... way too much cash

Am I missing anything? Has anyone done any other mods which make the bike so much better for riding? I am a commuter who also uses the bike for fun ride outs.

In particular, performance mod ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks

Bagman

- RAM Mount for Phone (music/Waze display) or something to plug in to your 12V socket?
- New windscreen?
- ECU flash from Guhl/Turbojoe/etc..
- Sena SMH10 or similar bluetooth setup?
- Better seat?
- Levers?

Soulbreeze

I am a commuter who also uses the bike for fun ride outs.
Thanks

Tailbag! Seriously could not live without my tailbag. Hold my wallet, house keys, flat tire repair kit, and anything I pick up while I'm out. Mostly soda and beer. :D

nando

Hey guys

Thanks for all the feedback:

Mikz - interesting one, never had an issue with the twist of the hand but will keep in mind, thanks

Bagman - forgot to add on the original message that I have also changed the levers! Agreed on mount, I have one.

ECU flash wise, have any of you done it? Is it worth it?

Soulb - I have a tailbag, use it for commuting as I hate carrying stuff on my back!

Thanks all and Merry Christmas.

Keach

Ecu flash is 100% worth it. Have the bike some extra go, but overall I think it also made everything much more smooth. Biggest thing of note is the flat spot around 4.5k just about disappears. The r6 throttle tube also surprisingly made things smoother for me (I was afraid it would have the opposite effect).

I like many other upgrades the rear suspension to the r1 shock with a Satan adapter and love it. Pretty affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVTF119Z

Could you tell me where you bought the R6 throttle tube? Much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yamaha part number: 2C0262400000

I derped. It's a 1/6 throttle tube. Stock tube is 1/4. 90 degree turn for WOT on stock, 60 degree turn for WOT with new tube. Just make sure you adjust your throttle cables and grease the shit out of the tube and assembly.

SVTF119Z

What kind of grease are you using in the tube/assembly?

I used white lithium. Some people don't like it but it worked just fine. As long as the throttle snaps all the way shut quickly and easily on its own and doesn't raise the idle speed, you're fine.