How To: Wash our baby

JSP

Administrator
I just use a damp rag to get all the dirt/dust off of stuff. I will use a little soap on the tank/tail/rims. But no running water from a hose, etc. Then a clean water rag then dry.

Then use some good wax or detail spray to shine up.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
welcome benjo

most questions I have ever had were fairly easy to find on this site. But for the most part, post ride wipe down seems to be pretty popular

socal

wash with good matte car soap. rinse normal. spray down with distilled water to get rid of hard water minerals and in all the crevices. leaf blow majority of the water off then wipe down the rest.

DLSGAP

Wheels and chain are simple greened then wd40'd. Careful to not get any on the tires
Blue coral soap with microfiber sponge.
Microfiber chamois to dry majority. Air nozzle from the compressor to dry crevices.

Wd40 in chain to remove any water, let dry while I put everything away. 5 to 10 minute ride to warm up the chain, then lube with either 3m Teflon chain lube or pj1 or whatever chain lube I have on hand. Wipe down with plexus.

When I wax the paint, I use mcquires... Quick wax I believe

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk

grant696

wash with good matte car soap. rinse normal. spray down with distilled water to get rid of hard water minerals and in all the crevices. leaf blow majority of the water off then wipe down the rest.

I never knew there was a matte specific soap. Thanks.

troublemaker

The wash up

Yesterday I finally washed my bike right. Meaning I would just take a wet and dry cloth and just wash it that way. Went to my local moto shop and I needed a microfiber cloth. But pick some moto wash from Motul.

Its about $15 bucks for a nice big bottle. And all you do is spray the bike with this stuff. I did one side at one time. I didnt have a hose and you have to do it not in the direct sun but in a cool shaded spot would be better.

Anyways I did one side first sprayed the bike waited like 1 1/2 mins not 2mins as directed I got excited to start the wash and just had my bucket with hot water. And I wipe it down with my sponge. The whole process took me 30 mins to spray wash and dry it. Look like new off the showroom floor.

This stuff cleans the whole bike all plastics, headlight, the engine parts. I was impress with this stuff. This will be my go to for me to wash the fz8.

I will however try other products so I have some feedback to compare to.

Suave96

How did you tint your turn signals?

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Wd40 in chain to remove any water, let dry while I put everything away. 5 to 10 minute ride to warm up the chain, then lube with either 3m Teflon chain lube or pj1 or whatever chain lube I have on hand. Wipe down with plexus.

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk

Ohhhhhhh man I almost freaked out.....lol

At least you know how to properly use WD-40

MotoZen

I mostly try to use the wind to wash my bike. It's not very effective but I enjoy it quite a bit.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

npeifer2308

I mostly try to use the wind to wash my bike. It's not very effective but I enjoy it quite a bit.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

I used the wind one time to dry my bike because I was to lazy to hand dry it...lets just say it didn't work as well as I thought it would lol.

Bram

- For the tank and plastics I use a sponge with clear water, and a dry microfiber cloth. The same for the headlight glass.

- For the rims I use a dry piece of fabric (like old underwear or T-shirt) and WD-40

- For cleaning the gold star-shaped thingy on the front brake caliper, I use a cotton bud.

This being said, I never ride in wet conditions. So the only dirt that gets on my bike is insects and grease from the chain.

HeresMyMind

if it is super dirty, I'll power spray it, then dry it and wipe down with quick detailer and a new cloth each time

-B

Bagman

Microfibre anything is your friend.

My product choices: Meg's Gold-Class shampoo and Meg's Gold-Class paste wax. If wheels ever get dirty enough I'll use Meg's Aluminum Wheel Cleaner - otherwise I'll wash them last with the soap from washing the bike. To keep painted surfaces shiney between washes (and only when bike is relatively clean) I will use Meg's Quick Detailer with a plush microfiber towel. I use 303 Aerospace protectant on plastics & vinyl (not seats), and use Invisible Glass on glass.

After washing, I'll use a microfibre towel or two to get most everything that is NOT a painted surface dry. For the painted surfaces I will use my shamoi.

Common Info:
- use a wash-bucket with a grit-guard, and only use car soap.
- use separate wash mitts/towels/whatever for different things. I use one for paint and plastics, and a different for wheels.
- don't spray water in the direction of "down the exhaust pipe", and avoid high-pressure spray at electronics & gauges.