HOW TO: Scottoiler vSystem installation

superg

Recently I bought Scottoiler vSystem for my new FZ8 2012, and I was surprised, as I didn't found any thorough installation guide for this bike. On Scottoiler site there is only one PDF document with 3 low-resolution pictures from FZ1, and not much details. Overall installation is quite easy, and it shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours.

I recommend vSystem (and not fully electronic eSystem) because of few reasons:
1. it's operated by vacuum, there is no any electronic components, so maintenance and troubleshooting is much easier
2. you don't need to allocate any space for control device on your handlebar (also in my opinion control device is ugly itself, and usually you don't need to adjust oil flow while riding)
3. it's cheaper ;)

I'll focus only on FZ8 specific installation steps, other generic information you can find in vSystem Quick Setup Guide, which you'll get with your kit. Also I strongly advice to read guide prior to installation. Furthermore - I am using terminology from the guide, so if you don't know which part I am referring to - check out parts list from guide (part names are marked with green in this howto). Majority of photos were taken after installation, don't be mislead by this fact.

For obvious reasons, everything you're doing is on your own risk, and I can not be responsible for any damage done to your bike.

First of all you'll need to remove fuel tank, rider and passenger seats. (best place to put oil reservoir is under passenger seat). I will not cover this process here, but you can find plenty of information how to do this on the net. And it's easy: key for passenger seat, 2 screws - rider seat, 4 screws - tank plastic cover, 3 more screws - tank, and do not forget to detach fuel hose connector, sender and pump couplers, drain and breather hoses.

Next you need to locate vacuum pipe, there are two of them in exposed area under the tank. It doesn't matter which one you'll select, but usually it's much easier to use top one:

Replace black plastic insert with T-Piece from Scottoiler kit.
WARNING: be careful with T-Piece, you can break it, if applied too much force.
To make things easier lubricate both ends of T-Piece prior to fitting.
Attach vacuum tubing to vacuum damper, and connect this assembly to T-Piece:

Route vacuum tubing along electronic wires and battery "-" wire all way to passenger seat. Use cable ties when needed.
WARNING: do not bend vacuum tubing too much, it's plastic to maintain vacuum pressure, you can easily break it:

After vacuum tubing installation, you can put fuel tank back, but prior to this I recommend to check if everything was installed correctly. Preserve default black plastic insert from inlet pipe, you may need it after you'll decide to move your vSystem to other bike, etc.

Now you need to setup dispenser assembly, better route it starting from swingarm. For my installation I needed to cut black plastic nib cover pipe by 1". To install nib use small dispenser plate and mount it to bobbin hole (either using M6 screw from kit, or if you have bobbins installed like me - just screw bobbin on top of it). Attach dispenser assembly to small dispenser plate using dispenser place clip. Nib end should be around 6 o'clock, and lightly touching sprocket. Nib cut should face out. For proper positioning you'll need to bend small dispenser plate a little, just use common sense:

Next route dispenser pipe from rear sprocket all way up to passenger seat. First install some adhesive clips under rear swingarm (3 should be enough). Do not forget to clean clip junction points with isopropanol tissue before installation. Route dispenser pipe through clips, between plastic swingarm part and swingarm, under swingarm, up along engine, and finally to passenger seat. Use cable ties whenever needed. Dispenser pipe is soft, make sure you don't bend it too much, otherwise oil flow will not reach sprocket. You may route this pipe differently, if you want, just take into account that swingarm movement can break pipe if incorrectly installed:

Put RMV into RMV cage, remove owner's toolkit and put RMV assembly there. You can mount owner's toolkit under passenger seat instead:

Connect vacuum tubing to RMV. Connect dispenser pipe to RMV (lubricate RMV spigot to fit easier). You can shorten vacuum tubing and dispenser pipe a little if you want, but better leave some extra length. Attach filler plug to RMV, and fill it with oil. Attach [breather assembly] to filler plug, set RMV to prime, and blow into breather assembly until you'll see oil drops from nib ;). Secure RMV assembly with rubber strip:

WARNING: position RMV the way, pipes will not interfere with passenger seat bracket or plastic tip, you don't want to cut or bend them:

Start engine, adjust flow to get 1-2 drops per minute. Clean chain and rear sprocket from grease and dirt, and lubricate it with 250ml Scottoil bottle manually, it'll help to distribute oil evenly. Go on, take a ride, adjust flow if needed, you're all set!

Last edited:

Jwood9

Great write up! I recently saw these in SSB magazine and was curious to the full details of it, nice to see you got one.