How to: Get your key back if you lock it in your pillion storage

cambo

Avid Rider
Locked my fz8 key in the pillion storage compartment. Yes. It can actually happen apparently. There is a new level of stupidity reached for the FZ8 world...and perhaps the motorcycling world. I did this today as I was leaving for work. I smacked myself on the forehead pretty damn hard...although not as hard as I did after I realized I had just gotten married lolololol har har...jk

I know you guys could figure this out on your own if this ever happened to you...but I guess now you can take comfort in knowing it can be done.

So how the hell did this happen? I went to put my cell phone and housekeys in the underseat storage compartment and mistakenly put the fz8 keys in there instead. I realized my mistake after I went to put the key in the ignition and realized my mini cooper smart key would not fit in the fz8 ignition.

How to get your keys back:

Step 1: Rip off Pillion Seat using brute strength
Step 2: Remove keys like a boss
Step 3: Hurl pillion seat at closest police officer

just kidding.

Step 1: Remove front seat
Step 2: Fish keys through frame openings into pillion storage

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
You're really lucky that your seat is designed that way. On the FZ1, you have to get the pillion off before you can get the driver off. Period. Glad you learned from another mistake!!!

cambo

Avid Rider
hahah yeah I was thinking the same thing! The vstar is the same way...can't remove the front unless you remove the rear first. (that's what she said?)

And on that note, did anyone else get a spare key? I can't remember if I did..and if I did...I lost it :/

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
hahah yeah I was thinking the same thing! The vstar is the same way...can't remove the front unless you remove the rear first. (that's what she said?)

And on that note, did anyone else get a spare key? I can't remember if I did..and if I did...I lost it :/

Yes, when you buy a bike new, they have two keys...you should never lose it. But, have no fear!!! Get a blank, come up here, or send me your key with the blank, and I can have a copy for less than $3.

thach1130

Hop over to ebay cambo. You can find Yamaha blank key which looks a lot nicer than the stock key which came with our bike. I was going to say isn't the pillion seat open with a cable. If you could take off the front seat couldn't you grab the cable and pull to unlock the seat.

cambo

Avid Rider
Hop over to ebay cambo. You can find Yamaha blank key which looks a lot nicer than the stock key which came with our bike. I was going to say isn't the pillion seat open with a cable. If you could take off the front seat couldn't you grab the cable and pull to unlock the seat.

shit I didn't even think about that. I'll give that a try. haha, and then I won't confirm if it works or not...don't wanna give theives access to my EZ-Pass! I keep my EZ-Pass in the pillion storage. God forbid I lose my EZ-pass! :p

no but seriously I'm curious...I'll try it out tmr.

thach1130

Lol, you're assuming every thieves walk around with an allen key. If you're that paranoid you can buy these bolt Key-Rex™

But then you'd have to keep the special key somewhere safe. That and don't lose it ^__^.

DanS

Commuter
I put a leash on my key and keep it separate from the rest of the keys.
Don't feel bad Ty, I had a bigger and much more embarrassing F-up today :eek: (dropped her)

cambo

Avid Rider
I put a leash on my key and keep it separate from the rest of the keys.
Don't feel bad Ty, I had a bigger and much more embarrassing F-up today :eek: (dropped her)

nooo...what happened? bummer bro, sorry to hear--hope the damage is minimal!

DanS

Commuter
nooo...what happened? bummer bro, sorry to hear--hope the damage is minimal!
Tragic parking lot incident at the barber shop...lol... very minor damage to the bike, the T-rex slider saved her! I'll put some pics up in another thread

cambo

Avid Rider
Tragic parking lot incident at the barber shop...lol... very minor damage to the bike, the T-rex slider saved her! I'll put some pics up in another thread

wait, did you run out of the barber shop with shaving cream still on your face...because that would've been classic!