how to drop the radiator for a spark plug change

RoadKill

I can't seem to figure out a way to move the radiator down once the bolts are off and the left side is off of the "hook" do you have to remove hoses?

RoadKill

so if no one knows i guess i will have to go to the stealership.
they told me $325 for the 8k service. 260 if i change the oil and supply the spark plugs. :( not cheap.

H

Hoover

I have not changed mine yet so I cant tell you exactly how to move the radiator, but why do you need to change them?
The plugs should be good for 25 to 30K.
Most manufacturers tell you to change them at blah blah blah because they know you cant and will take it to the dealer and pay them to do it.r

Overchange your oil, underchange the plugs.

D

Deleted member 438

I don't have the bike near me, but I believe there are 2 5mm bolts at the top(one on the left and one on the right), and one on the bottom at the center. When I did my plugs I completely removed the radiator, so I also undid the hoses.

RoadKill

I don't have the bike near me, but I believe there are 2 5mm bolts at the top(one on the left and one on the right), and one on the bottom at the center. When I did my plugs I completely removed the radiator, so I also undid the hoses.

yeah once i got all of those off it didnt seem like it gave enough clearance to get to the plugs without removing the hoses. i don't want to do that.

W

WARPTH

Send fazed a pm. He will be able to tell you. I havent got that far yet so im no help.

D

Deleted member 438

I have not changed mine yet so I cant tell you exactly how to move the radiator, but why do you need to change them?
The plugs should be good for 25 to 30K.
Most manufacturers tell you to change them at blah blah blah because they know you cant and will take it to the dealer and pay them to do it.r

Overchange your oil, underchange the plugs.

Mine looked like new, but I just figured I'd put some iridium plugs in.

reALIGNed

Just be sure to apply a thin coat of "anti-seize" paste onto the threads of the new plugs, always do this when fastening two different alloys, otherwise electrolesise will fuse them together.......(makes for an expensive removal)

e11charlie

Just be sure to apply a thin coat of "anti-seize" paste onto the threads of the new plugs, always do this when fastening two different alloys, otherwise electrolesise will fuse them together.......(makes for an expensive removal)

I would check with the manufacturer of the plugs. Most plugs now are being made with coatings on the threads where this is no longer reccomended.

reALIGNed

I'de rather be safe than sorry.......regardless of what "they recommend", this anti seize method has been used in tons of applications, world wide, for decades and it is time tested, maybe the new teflon shit works..........but not for me.........:2cents:
And use a torque wrench.

Last edited:

Spyder Eye

If you use NGK Spark Plugs adding anti-seize is not recommended as per NGK's instructions for new plugs. They already have a coating for this issue.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/tb-0630111antisieze.pdf

Spyder Eye

yeah once i got all of those off it didnt seem like it gave enough clearance to get to the plugs without removing the hoses. i don't want to do that.

It is possible to do this job without removing your radiator completely.

http://www.779cc.org/forum/how-tos/1682-tips-replacing-your-spark-plugs.html

There are 4 screws:

1 Above the radiator on the right side (Left side is just a hanger.)
1 Below the radiator
2 One on each side that hold tabs onto the frame.

Pull to one side to remove from hanger then drop down.

Just that easy. Well if you have the service manual its that easy. It tells you how to do what you are asking. Plus all the torque specs for putting it back together.

YAMAHA MANUAL STORE

F

Fazed

Spyder Eye is right and he includes more detail than the Yamaha service manual. I have not changed my spark plugs yet, so I have no pictures. If you have all those bolts out and it's off the hanger, then it'll only be the hoses holding it in place, they are rubber and will bend.

If you are a bit of a heavy handed person, get a torque wrench as the plugs are only done up to 13Nm. Over tightening is the most common reason why they won't want to come back out again. Then you risk damaging the thread trying to remove them.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoadKill

It is possible to do this job without removing your radiator completely.

http://www.779cc.org/forum/how-tos/1682-tips-replacing-your-spark-plugs.html

There are 4 screws:

1 Above the radiator on the right side (Left side is just a hanger.)
1 Below the radiator
2 One on each side that hold tabs onto the frame.

Pull to one side to remove from hanger then drop down.

Just that easy. Well if you have the service manual its that easy. It tells you how to do what you are asking. Plus all the torque specs for putting it back together.

YAMAHA MANUAL STORE

i'm thinking if i do it i need to get a low torque click type wrench instead of my metered type. that looks like a very tight squeeze.

B

bren

Aaah so I am not the only one having issues with the site causing double posts

Spyder Eye

i'm thinking if i do it i need to get a low torque click type wrench instead of my metered type. that looks like a very tight squeeze.

I agree that a clicker style torque wrench is best suited for this job. Also having an assortment of medium to small length extensions is key to finding the right length for the space available.